The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
tonypaul

Custom Hoods?

Im just sick.. Been working on my orginal factory hood forever. Took it all the way down to the meatal working every little bump and dent out of it for the past week. Im sure I have a total of 12 or so hours in it getting it to were it was today. I was moving some stuff around in the garage today and gently leaned it up againts the wall, a strong gust of wind came up and blew it over laning on its top. It crushed the center body line real bad. Its going to take alot of work , so Im interested if someone has done some custom work on their hoods? Not talking adding a cowl hood, but more like reshaping the front for even more rake, sectioning the hood, stuff like that. Im currently looking for another hood I can patch with but I might just get a repop hood and go to town on a custom hood....
Any ideas?
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Custom Hoods?

Yes,I`ve seen them grafted with 67/67 nose.Also, pancaked from back to front.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Kayotic

I read an article yesterday at SportTruck, on the particular build they write about the hood being sectioned and blended with the cowl panel.

(taken from that article)

1972 Chevy C10 - Far From Subtle

There are a ton of body mods on this truck; some can be spotted a mile away like the 2 1/2 inches missing from the top, the super-short bed, and leaned-forward cab. Others are a little harder to spot like the leaned-forward rear wheelwells and the one-piece hood and cowl. Not only were the hood and cowl joined, a 1-1/2-inch section was taken out of the side to lower its profile. The crown of the roof was flattened out a bit and the drip rails shaved off. Removing the drip rails on one of these trucks is not that easy of a task as there are three and sometimes four layers of sheetmetal to deal with. Also, once the drip rails are gone the roof overhangs the windshield by about an inch, so it took some forethought to make it all look right. Brandon Sisco did an excellent job modifying the lines of the C10 without it becoming an eyesore.

http://www.sporttruck.com/featuredve...c10/index.html

I like to call it 'New Inspiration'

Sorry about your luck...

Last edited by Kayotic; 01-19-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Kayotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
tonypaul

That black truck is SICK!

What Im wanting to do is put more rake in my 68 hood. Im wanting to lay back the front even more, Im not going to be using the GMC emblem on the front. So Im thinking about another 15 to 20 percent more back but that means Im gonna have to section out the sides. I used a sharpie marker and layed it out on the hood but I just dont have the guts to cut it up yet. I think I found another hood so if I get another one I will start cutting.
Thanks for sharing that black truck....
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #5
love my 72

Don't mean to deviate from the topic but that is one awesome truck!
72 C10 Short Bed Fleetside
73 Blazer 2WD Catalina Blue White Top(Needs Love)
73 Blazer 2WD Work in progress LT1/4L60E
83 Grand National (SOLD)
94 Blazer K1500 Silverado (SOLD)
96 Impala SS All original (NEXT IN LINE 2 B SOLD)
99 Tahoe 2DR, 2WD
love my 72 is offline   Reply With Quote