The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
mvesr

Power steering

I have a 1968 chevy stepside 3 on the tree with manual steering. I wanted to know what year power pump to get to put on this truck. I have a "605" box left over from a 1957 Bel Air project. Will it work?

Thanks in advance for the help

Mika
mvesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Power steering

Welcome!! Sorry the box from a car mounts inside the frame and PU ones outside.You need a PS from a 68-86 PU sub or 2wd blazer fr a 2 wd.The pump brackets need to match the engine and water pump length,Don't forget to get the pulleys with the brackets.It's a pretty simple bolt on swap.You may need a kit to rebuild the rag joint to make the top/bottom match the shafts.

BTW I'm just down the road in Greensboro.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
1955 mancave

mike even if it would have worked those 605's are not good they seem to wander all over the road, i have one on my 57 210 and soon i will replace it with a 500 box.
1955 mancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
mvesr

Thanks guys for the info. Glad I didn't put the 605 box on the 57. It is still a project.

I am just getting started on the 68, just passed through Greensboro last week on my way to Duke. Would like to attend some car shows in that area this coming year, and would like to see your truck.

Mika
Old 12-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
mikevandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Welcome!! Sorry the box from a car mounts inside the frame and PU ones outside.You need a PS from a 68-86 PU sub or 2wd blazer fr a 2 wd.The pump brackets need to match the engine and water pump length,Don't forget to get the pulleys with the brackets.It's a pretty simple bolt on swap.You may need a kit to rebuild the rag joint to make the top/bottom match the shafts.

BTW I'm just down the road in Greensboro.
I have a dead78 laying in the yard.Can I take all the power steering stuff out of it and it will line right up in my 68?Sweeet
mikevandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Keep your eyes on the regions boards.A lot of the NC/SC guys are looking to get some group activities together this spring/summer.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
hugger6933

Yes you can take the stuff off of the 78 and put on to the 68 as far as the box the pump and the lines and the pit man arm should fit as well considering all is in good condition. That will make a great swap project I will be doing similar to my 70 swb that is v8 3 ott that I am gonna put in a T-5 overdrive with power steering and brakes to make it more fun [and easy ] for anyone to drive.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
rsavage

Mike,
Do you have a V8 that is period correct with the short water pump and the alternator on the drivers side? If so, and if the 78 has a long water pump and the alternator on the driver's side, I would buy the pulleys and pump bracket off a 68-72 from the parts board, buy a rebuilt box and a rebuilt pump along with new hoses. If you start mixing and matching pulleys from long water pump vehicles with short water pump vehicles you end up with belt/pulley alignment problems. I don't know for sure if the 78 has a long pump or if your vehicle is a V8 and has the original short pump set up, but that determination is where you need to begin.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
mvesr

Yes I have the original 307 that came in the truck. I thought I might be able to use the smog pump pulley that is still on the engine and it has the short water pump. The alternator is on the driver's side of the engine also.

Thanks-Mika
Old 12-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
mikevandel

I'll keep that in mind as I scope out the swap.Thanks for the heads up.Just bought my 68 c20 from south dakota all original 327 4 speed with leafs.Keeping it original except for the power steering upgrade for now.
mikevandel is offline   Reply With Quote