The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Plunkett

Need help getting my truck to run

I've got an 86 chevy silverado with a 305 on it. Yesterday I removed all of the emissions vacuum lines and everything off the engine. I hooked the vacuum advance, tip in switch(not really sure what this is for), pcv valve, converter lockup, and the power brakes vacuum lines are now hooked up to the carb. I forgot to block off the vacuum port on the front of the intake manifold and when I went to drive the truck is spits and sputters unless you have it in the higher rpms. Well I came home this morning and capped off the vacuum port on the f ront of the motor and it still wants to idle like crap and doesn't wanna run right. This is my daily driver, so please help me figure this thing out fast.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Re: Need help getting my truck to run

What did you do to the intake where the EGR valve would be? Did you put a block off plate there? If not that can cause a major vacuum leak. Which port is the vacuum advance hooked to. What kind of carb are you running?
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Plunkett

I made a plate out of 1/4" steel and bolted it down where the egr vavle was on the intake. I have the stock quadrajet carb on the truck. I hooked the vacuum advance up to the port on top of the carb where the tip in switch vacuum line is hooked too. The truck will barely start now and when it does it dies.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunkett View Post
I made a plate out of 1/4" steel and bolted it down where the egr vavle was on the intake. I have the stock quadrajet carb on the truck. I hooked the vacuum advance up to the port on top of the carb where the tip in switch vacuum line is hooked too. The truck will barely start now and when it does it dies.
Did you put any kind of gasket under the block off plate for the EGR?
Old 11-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Plunkett

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyJay View Post
Did you put any kind of gasket under the block off plate for the EGR?
No, I sure didn't I thought about that, but I made the plate on thursday and drove it for a descent bit that night and it drove fine. I'm going to take the plate off and put some rtv silicone on there to make a gasket. I also noticed a plug wire that had been arching on the headers, so I'm going to replace that and replace all the spark plugs b/c they look rough.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Any improvements?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Plunkett

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyJay View Post
Any improvements?

Ya, I seem to of got it to run right now. I ended up replacing all of the spark plugs because they were in rough shape and the plug wire for the #5 cylinder wasn't even firing bc it had a cut in it and was acrching onto the header so I replaced that plug wire, zip tied the choke plate open bc it was staying almost shut all the time with the choke off, and replaced one more vacuum line. I drove it last night and this morning a good bit and it seems to be running real good.