The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
ryans69chevy

Moisture build-up/Heater HELP PLEASE!!!

Does anyone know what could be causing the windows on the inside to fog up and then freeze after the heater is started?

It's very dangerous to drive when this happens...steering with one hand while scraping the windows with the other. I'm not really sure what is causing this...I thought it was my weatherstripping on the doors so I replaced it with a temporary weatherstrip. This fixed one of the problems which was the windows were freezing on the inside before I was even in the pickup. But now it's freezing all the windows when I turn on the heater. Has anyone ever had this happen or know how to fix it?

I'm thinking maybe it could have something to do with the heater core box under the hood. Since I pop my hood slightly to get an extension chord in there to plug my lower radiator heater hose in. I don't know if this is normal to have a heater core box that is in two pieces and that don't connect all the way like a 1/4" gap maybe snow gets in there and melts which causes moisture to flow through the defroster hoses? I'm going to put a piece of duct tape over the gap today. Or could it have something to do with my antifreeze mixture? I drove this truck all last winter and don't remember the inside of the windows freezing up....

Thanks for any advice
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
dan76

Re: Moisture build-up/Heater HELP PLEASE!!!

For a temporary fix, try duct taping the gap in your heater core box to ensure no moisture gets in. Probably what's happening is moisture is in the vents and when warm air hits it's carried onto the glass where it condenses and freezes.

Last edited by dan76; 11-30-2010 at 04:08 PM.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
raycow

Probably the one answer you don't want to hear, but I would suspect a core leak. The water vaporizes in the warm air stream and then condenses when it hits the cold glass.

Ray
Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
54blackhornet

If the heater core is leaking you should see fluid it coming out of the lower hose outlet on the heater core housing under the hood. Could be leaking and getting blown into the cab when fan is on. My 71 did that untill i saw the leak !
54blackhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
dan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Probably the one answer you don't want to hear, but I would suspect a core leak. The water vaporizes in the warm air stream and then condenses when it hits the cold glass.

Ray
I originally thought this also, but the poster didn't indicate he was getting a film (of antifreeze) on the glass as moisture was freezing on the glass. Since he is experiencing freezing temps, I assumed (yes I know what happens when one does) he was running a coolant mixture rather than straight water.

Though if he is experiencing a heater core leak, it's a quick fix with a new core running about 25.00 from AZ.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
ryans69chevy

So if my heater core is leaking, I would be able to see it dripping out of the box while it's running, or would I most likely have to take the box off and look at the core itself and find a leak there?

Thanks for the help guys
Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
So if my heater core is leaking, I would be able to see it dripping out of the box while it's running
If the core is leaking, I would think you are more likely to see it dripping out of the box when the fan isn't running. This will keep the water from being picked up in the air stream.

If you don't see it dripping and the problem still persists, then I would say you will have to pull off the box.

Ray
Old 11-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

also if the heater core is leaking you will notice that your coolant level in the rad will drop.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
cdowns

your rad level wood b droping with each use of truck//you'd also have the distinct smell in the cab of antifreeze// i'd doubt very much leaking antifreeze will freeze to ice on windshield

i'd think it is more likely that you have a rainwater leak that is puddling up in the heaterbox or in the kickpanels or cowl area of the truck
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
grs

Mt truck does the same thing, but it has Vintage Air in it. This will happen with Vintage Air.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
Mt truck does the same thing, but it has Vintage Air in it. This will happen with Vintage Air.
This is due to the lack of outside air which leads to moisture build-up in the cab. To counteract this you can open the passenger side kick panel vent, but it's kind of counterproductive to blow in cold air when your trying to heat it up.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #12
ryans69chevy

Okay, everything sounds good! Thanks for all the help so far. Tomarrow, I will search closely for the problem and I'll ask some more questions if need be.

Thanks!