The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
tonypaul

Blacked out taillights

Did a search and didnt yield much. Has any one tried VHT Night Shades on their taillights? Or is anyone selling them?
Thanks!
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Blacked out taillights

i've done it on many cars, but neverr my trucks.
I did use it to black out the front markers in the grill on the burb (68 nose) makes them disapear when turned off
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Nah, not on these trucks, but longhorn man did do a good job on the marker lights...

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

when i was in High school i used a light coat of metalic blue on the inside of my red taillights for the "blue dot" look. .......then i got pulled over the same day, so i cleaned them out, but it looked cool

I didnt like the blue dots on a square lens.
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I also used the vht in 94.... back in high school...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
cstm68

i did VHT on my old toyota i drove in high school
im thinking about thinning down some gloss black ppg and doing a real light smoke on the rears of my 01
Old 10-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
colin_havens

I dont have mine doen, but I have tinted some taillights. VHT works, but the best look is done with clear with some black basecoat mixed in. Scuff the taillights, and shoot. The more coats the darker the tint. It will dry and have a nice glossy finish, where I have seen the VHT stuff have a flat almost chalky finish after a little bit in the sun.
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
tonypaul

I just finished painting my truck and almost finished with wet sanding and buffing. But I do have a couple spots I would like to go back and touch up, so I think Im going to try the paint gun method. My truck is two-tone black and silver, I put my tail lights in and they didnt look good at all against the black. I have alot of black base coat and clear left, but I guess I will go buy a quart of single stage black an give it a try.....

I will post pics when it gets done..
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

I like it on black vehicles...depends on local law inforcement...in my area of VA I'd get a ticket any time I took it out if I did that
Old 10-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
colin_havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypaul View Post
I just finished painting my truck and almost finished with wet sanding and buffing. But I do have a couple spots I would like to go back and touch up, so I think Im going to try the paint gun method. My truck is two-tone black and silver, I put my tail lights in and they didnt look good at all against the black. I have alot of black base coat and clear left, but I guess I will go buy a quart of single stage black an give it a try.....

I will post pics when it gets done..
You shouldnt need any single stage black paint. Just mix in a little of the black basecoat you already have into the clear, and then spray. Use light coats, and put as much on as you feel they need. the more coats, the darker it is.
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
dylanbtz14

I'm getting ready to put a light coat of VHT on my blue taillights i bought off ebay, I'm blacking out my whole truck though too so...
dylanbtz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
jocko

Do any of you that have done em think that they appear "less bright" afterward? Just curious. They do seem that way to me when I'm the shmuck behind someone with em, so I'm wondering if it's just my imagination, which it certainly could be.

As for blue dots, dang, I LOVE em, but I got pulled over continuously in an old 57 chev I had, so stopped using them. On one old truck I put them on, but kept a stock pair in the glovebox so I could tell him "I just found out, and I'm gonna install em as soon as I get home.." Yeah, that didn't work either. Anyone know WHY bluedots are illegal? I never quite understood that - so what if they aren't red... They are kinda red-dish, and bright!

Oh well, I would not have made a good traffic law inventer.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
JKady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Do any of you that have done em think that they appear "less bright" afterward? Just curious. They do seem that way to me when I'm the shmuck behind someone with em, so I'm wondering if it's just my imagination, which it certainly could be.

As for blue dots, dang, I LOVE em, but I got pulled over continuously in an old 57 chev I had, so stopped using them. On one old truck I put them on, but kept a stock pair in the glovebox so I could tell him "I just found out, and I'm gonna install em as soon as I get home.." Yeah, that didn't work either. Anyone know WHY bluedots are illegal? I never quite understood that - so what if they aren't red... They are kinda red-dish, and bright!

Oh well, I would not have made a good traffic law inventer.
DOT standards set what you can and can't have as far as light colors on your vehicles. No white light facing the rear, only allowed red or amber facing the rear on a non emergency vehicle. My old man had some purple accent lighting on his work truck that got him hassled by a couple different cops. Those cops, are the same ones that will hassle you for smoked lights, or clear Euro lights. I don't like smoked lights myself, but I'll take following a rig with them over the euro/ricer tails any day of the week, them things are borderline blinding in most applications.
JKady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #14
jocko

Yeah, I understand what you're saying - I realize it's a DOT standard, but that's what I'm questioning - I never thought blue dots had any negative aspect to them or safety hazard. But then again, if we opened it up for those, next thing ya know there would be all those japanese cars with super bright lights and stuff like that. Oh wait, there ARE those already! I'm with ya, I must be getting old, but those darn bright funky lookin things blind me. But it's not just the foreign cars now, new US cars have em from the factory now (some of them).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #15
_1966ChevyPU

Cool Re: Blacked out taillights

I've put VHT NiteShades on a couple different rides over the years. But on my Ram it's a similar thing, but more professional application that uses a dipping and clearing process.
Attached Images

'08 BigDog Pitbull
'11 Cargomate Trailer (Toy Hauler)
_1966ChevyPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #16
JKady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Yeah, I understand what you're saying - I realize it's a DOT standard, but that's what I'm questioning - I never thought blue dots had any negative aspect to them or safety hazard. But then again, if we opened it up for those, next thing ya know there would be all those japanese cars with super bright lights and stuff like that. Oh wait, there ARE those already! I'm with ya, I must be getting old, but those darn bright funky lookin things blind me. But it's not just the foreign cars now, new US cars have em from the factory now (some of them).
It ain't even being old man, I'm only 21 but any POS with those clear lights blinds me, and I've nearly rear ended cars with DIY blacked out lights that were too dark.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #17
_1966ChevyPU

Cool Re: Blacked out taillights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKady View Post
It ain't even being old man, I'm only 21 but any POS with those clear lights blinds me, and I've nearly rear ended cars with DIY blacked out lights that were too dark.
Come on now... because a vehicle has a good set of lights on it it's a POS? Have you been in a vehicle that has HIDs? When I was installing them, I had them only in the fogs and they put out better light than my heads did. The problem most have... is they don't have a proper setup. They put them in a normal housing and it scatters the light. If they're done with a projector setup, that's the best setup to go with.

As for the tails... again, it's how it's done. Not just how they're done, but also what's done along with them. That's why I've got a PlasmaGlow Fire & Ice lightbar as well.

'08 BigDog Pitbull
'11 Cargomate Trailer (Toy Hauler)
_1966ChevyPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
JKady

Quote:
Originally Posted by _1966ChevyPU View Post
Come on now... because a vehicle has a good set of lights on it it's a POS? Have you been in a vehicle that has HIDs? When I was installing them, I had them only in the fogs and they put out better light than my heads did. The problem most have... is they don't have a proper setup. They put them in a normal housing and it scatters the light. If they're done with a projector setup, that's the best setup to go with.

As for the tails... again, it's how it's done. Not just how they're done, but also what's done along with them. That's why I've got a PlasmaGlow Fire & Ice lightbar as well.

PlasmaGlow F&I - YouTube
PlasmaGlow F&I - YouTube
The pos's I was referring to do not have "good lights" They have pep-boys tails or those god awful drop in HID's. Every time some yutz is coming at me with those things in a rig it makes me long for the Hella 500's I had on my Baja to return the favor. Stock HID's in a proper housing don't bother me a bit as they're... well... properly installed.