The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Gus350
68 C 10

Rear gears

Looks like my truck has a set of 307 gears in it going off the numbers on the gear. I have a 400 tranny and a 700r would either one of these work good with that gear or should I look at changing the gear while I have it down (and if so to what). I'm not looking for a drag truck by no means just somthing to tool around in lol

Thanks Kevin

Kevin

"Life is Hard But its Harder when your Stupid"
John Wayne
68 C10
70 C20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?t=602326#
Gus350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: Rear gears

I had those gears in my 69 SWB witha T400 tranny. I loved them.When I got up to 70 on the freeway, I was just begining to move. I really had to watch it, the truck loved upwards of 75. I could roast the tires in town if I wanted to, and the 400 is a bullet proof unit. The truck had the stock but overhauled 350 it came with.
As for the 700r, Ive driven them and they seem like a powerglide with an extra gear, pretty squishy.
Anyway, thats just me, so its fwiw.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Depending upon the engine power and tire size, you may be ok with that gear and the TH400 transmission. The 700r4 is never going to get along with the 3.07 though, especially with a carburetor.
While it seems like lower RPM at highway speed would mean better fuel mileage, it is not necessarily the case.....again especially with a carburetor. The engine has a "sweet spot" in the RPM range where it will cruise the best. Fuel mileage and acceleration are both improved at this point.
If the cruise RPM is too low, mileage suffers because the carburetor is running in the idle and/or transition circuits instead of the main jets where it should. An overdrive transmission will shift in and out trying to compensate, this does not help matters.
Then if you need to accelerate, even slightly, you have to get too far into the throttle, maybe even kicking down to the next gear. This is another mileage hit.

Of course the opposite is true too. If your gearing puts the cruise RPM too high, it is just as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Gus350
68 C 10

Okay thanks so it sounds like I need to go with the 400

Kevin

"Life is Hard But its Harder when your Stupid"
John Wayne
68 C10
70 C20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?t=602326#