The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
MAK191

Mevotech upper ball joints

I just purchased a set of upper ball joints for my 72 C10. I went online and purchase a set of Mevotech MK6124 upper ball joints from Rock Auto. I am very happy with the quality. They are very solid and the dust boots are good quality too. The total cost shipped was $39(terrible shipping rates at Rock Auto IMO). And yes they are made in Taiwan like everything else. Just wanted to share because I didn't find any info on the site about them.
Attached Images

Last edited by MAK191; 02-17-2010 at 10:11 PM.
MAK191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
MAK191

Re: Mevotech upper ball joints

Installed on control arms.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK191 View Post
The total cost shipped was $39(terrible shipping rates at Rock Auto IMO).
I would love to know what you base this statement off of. 10 bucks for shipping is overpriced? you need a reality check!
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
crakarjax

If you try doing a search you'll see that I asked about the quality of Mevotech part about 2 weeks ago.... I couldn't find much info about them except on Amazon, where people gave some of their parts bad reviews. I think they are too new to tell. Follow up here though if they fail early.

Coincidentally, I was looking at the exact same parts that you purchased, among others. I ended up going with their "wholesaler closeout" TRW parts which are, in fact, made in the USA. Well, most of them. Actually of the two upper ball joints that I got, one was USA and one was... somewhere. The box actually said "Made in". Didn't say where.

I purchased every single wear part for a 72 C-10 suspension, all TRW and only 2 parts were not made in the US but that's probably because I got mostly old stock.

There's actually a webpage at Rock Auto where you can see all the wholesaler closeout stuff but I don't have the link handy. It's usually about 60% off retail.

I do find RA's shipping a bit high. It pays to make large orders.

EDIT: Thought I would mention that my brother who owns a shop told me to get Raybestos Pro Grade stuff. He said they use teflon balls instead of metal, which flex and return instead of permanantly deforming upon impact. He also mentioned that new MOOG parts are crap.

Last edited by crakarjax; 02-17-2010 at 10:45 PM.
crakarjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
MAK191

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaschevy View Post
I would love to know what you base this statement off of. 10 bucks for shipping is overpriced? you need a reality check!
Wow, didn't know that you would get offended by that. I don't need a reality check, it's my opinion. I have purchased larger products that weighed more that cost the same or less to ship. This was not a thread to bash Rock Auto, they have great prices and selection on parts, I only wanted people to be able to see the product and read my review.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
69 longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
If you try doing a search you'll see that I asked about the quality of Mevotech part about 2 weeks ago.... I couldn't find much info about them except on Amazon, where people gave some of their parts bad reviews. I think they are too new to tell. Follow up here though if they fail early.

Coincidentally, I was looking at the exact same parts that you purchased, among others. I ended up going with their "wholesaler closeout" TRW parts which are, in fact, made in the USA. Well, most of them. Actually of the two upper ball joints that I got, one was USA and one was... somewhere. The box actually said "Made in". Didn't say where.

I purchased every single wear part for a 72 C-10 suspension, all TRW and only 2 parts were not made in the US but that's probably because I got mostly old stock.

There's actually a webpage at Rock Auto where you can see all the wholesaler closeout stuff but I don't have the link handy. It's usually about 60% off retail.

I do find RA's shipping a bit high. It pays to make large orders.

EDIT: Thought I would mention that my brother who owns a shop told me to get Raybestos Pro Grade stuff. He said they use teflon balls instead of metal, which flex and return instead of permanantly deforming upon impact. He also mentioned that new MOOG parts are crap.
I cant say who is who on the best parts anymore, but I will say that the pcs with teflon ball liners are for the guys that dont know what a grease gun is IMO, they are total JUNK, I have not seen them last very long.....even if they were greased properly! I like to see steel on steel on those balljoints/tierod ends.....keep em greased, & they will last you a long time Moog,TRW, or Dana parts were the pcs to run..........The big bioch, is who owns what nowdays,& is it offshore junk, or built in the good old USA? crazyAL
Old 02-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I`ve never heard of them,which makes me leery.That`s just me.I go with names known for quality that haven`t let me down.I hope they give excellent service for you.I`ll just say...Looks is one thing,the idea is that they give the most miles of service.I can`t imagine them looking any different.The aftermarket just copies OEM design.They look like a good copy.Please don`t take my comments as negative.Just saying it how I see it.I hope you`re on to a good thing.Only time will tell.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
cdowns

my terrific body deserves protection quality moog parts for me

yep reality check on shipping rates is due.. try shipping something!!!!
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
cparman
sharp as a marble

moog for me. always have, like Cdowns said, I am worth the extra money quality costs
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Just bought everything from them to redue my DD. I bought Mcquay-Norris, its the same thing from Autozone (Same part numbers) never had a problem, goes to say though, those old 40 year ball joints still had some use in them....

But shipping was a beast since they all didnt come from the same warehouse, youd think they would be centralized, you know where stuff is coming from jegs or summit, I got three different FED EX charges from all over the country.....(Blows Chunks)

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
moog for me. always have, like Cdowns said, I am worth the extra money quality costs
All I can say about the cost is, if you do preventive maintenance you shouldnt have to worry about parts failure. I have never (knock on wood) had a suspension part fail to the point of seperation. I have owned many of these trucks and the first thing I do is go through and repair other peoples neglect before I drive it. I always do atleast an annual check on my rides at the minimum.

I am not into the Made in the USA stuff, most people just use that to push their products that are made elsewhere and boxed up pretty here. I think I have given more to Ol Glory than most will ever do in their lifetime so please dont question. Today you really dont know, just like some one posted the other day about getting moog stuff and it had offshore parts inside. Most people, companies today are not honest anymore and its all about the dollar, so I dont by into supporting nothing unless I physically see the manufacturing process, sorry its just me and its my money.

But please let me know how those Mevotechs are working, I like how the boot is made on the joint itself.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
71 C30 Wrecker

Last edited by 71meangreenc10; 02-18-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling....
Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
MAK191

Sorry, I guess I should have stated that their shipping price were high when they don't ship all of your parts from the same place. As for long term quality, don't know but I m satisfied as of now.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #13
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I should have stated that their shipping price were high when they don't ship all of your parts from the same place. As for long term quality, don't know but I m satisfied as of now.
I feel your pain on that one brother.... Iowa, Texas, Minnesota,,I added about $40 to ship....

Smitty
71 C30 Wrecker
Old 02-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
leddzepp

I bought Partsmaster ball joints/front end components from Star Auto. Made in USA, and identical to Moog. They are about half the cost.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I bought Partsmaster ball joints/front end components from Star Auto. Made in USA, and identical to Moog. They are about half the cost.

Interesting,
I think those were available. Thanks for the input.

Smitty
71 C30 Wrecker
Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Wow, didn't know that you would get offended by that. I don't need a reality check, it's my opinion. I have purchased larger products that weighed more that cost the same or less to ship. This was not a thread to bash Rock Auto, they have great prices and selection on parts, I only wanted people to be able to see the product and read my review.
your review was very far fetched! Flat out. Let me help you out a bit...

go to ups.com or fedex.com and ship 1 pound... YES only 1 pound. And do it as cheap as possible.... ship it from your house, to another house in the same zip code. Then tell me that 10 bucks is a high charge. Oh, and to be covered by any credit card company they also have to send it signature required which is an additional 2 bucks or so. You'll be surprised when you find a 12-15 dollar charge for shipping only 1 pound from the same ip code to the same zip code.

So back to the original question, what are you basing the shipping opinion off of? going straight to the source I and anyone can see how cheap they are charging for shipping
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #17
crakarjax

Nah they really are pretty expensive, but like it has been said before it is because they ship from multiple places. Shipping 40 pounds in one box is a LOT cheaper than 4 10lb boxes.

That ball joint does look solid though. Can't tell the quality of the materials though.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #18
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 longhorn View Post
I cant say who is who on the best parts anymore, but I will say that the pcs with teflon ball liners are for the guys that dont know what a grease gun is
So you are saying that they are for 99% of the general population? I agree.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 AM   #19
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 View Post
I bought Mcquay-Norris,
Smitty
I have used their stuff previously and was very satisfied with it as well.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Rocky8

It’s good to see someone posting a positive review about Mevotech, they don’t seem to be very well known on the internet but they are in fact pretty good. Most reviews compare Moog to Mevotech and because Moog has been around for so long people are stuck in their ways and stick with them (at the expense of their wallet).. I’ve seen a lot of moog and mevotech part comparisons and mevotech’s designs appear to be of the same quality if not better (at a much cheaper price). Also, I like your comment about everything being made overseas… It is true, Moog slaps “Made in the USA” on their boxes and that’s not fully true. Companies often lie nowadays.. it’s easier than you think… the difference for mevotech is that their parts are actually engineered/designed in north America. They are already competing with Moog and I predict that in the next couple years the company will become much more known.. and part buyers are going to start saving a lot of money when they start trusting a new company
Rocky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
JointTech

all my moog stuff was made in usa. I told my parts guy I didnt want any offshore junk becasue i never want to do that nightmare job again. I think my KYB shocks are the only non-usa stuff under there.

i think moog has a high and low line though.

I wouldnt order suspension or brake parts online. To much chance of getting wrong stuff with our mix and match stuff from different years. Its all heavy so shipping is going to be high as well. unless it happens to be on amazon prime and not much is for hardparts. Took 4 trys at Oreillys to get a steering gear. That would have cost a fortune to return and wait, return and wait etc.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #22
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

My Moog parts have "made in USA" cast into them. It's worth the money to me to buy stuff made here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

I agree, MOOG is the way to go! I used MOOG and AC Delco for my front end rebuild.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
BrianG

Just a thought guys. Try finding some time to stop in an auto parts store. I know that shopping online is convenient and easy, but there are also many advantages to actually shopping in a store. Most any will order a part for you with no shipping cost. If it doesn't fit, won't even charge you a special order charge or anything. Most have very fast next day shipping to their store. If you continue to go to the same place(s) they will get to know you and your vehicles. They can help with recommendations for parts in both quality and price, and my even start to offer better prices. You might find that some stores are better for oil and other fluids, while a different for chassis parts, etc. I live maybe 20 or so miles from any of the major chain stores, but have found that my local guys (Auto Value) and such can actually many times, beat the big chains.

Why not help support your local economy and give the local shops a try?
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #25
JointTech

i get most of my parts from Quigleys. They are local and the owner runs the counter. I like going there. But sometimes I get the wrong part and they arent open on weekends... If they have to order something that will arrive on saturday they will have it shipped to the local rental store. so I can go over there and pick it up which is cool. My only ***** is the whole not open on weekends. I buy alot of stuff on the spur of the moment and weekends are when i work on my truck. So usually its oreilleys and then pepboys and then autozone for the small stuff and stuff I forgot i needed. I have more than one of each within 5 miles of me lol.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote