The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2020, 09:51 PM   #1
Willys_MB

Question Yet Another Power Steering Upgrade Question

I inherited this motor with a long water pump setup and my ex-buddy was helping me do the engine swap. I wanted to do a short water pump setup, but he insisted on keeping the long WP setup. In the end, we were running out of time and kept it setup as a long WP.

Now that I’ve gotten the engine swap 100% complete, my next project will be to swap the front end to discs and install power steering and a brake booster. My 68 is in dire need of a front end rebuild and the gods have blessed me with a 71 C20 donor frame, so here we are.

I’m having a hard time deciphering whether I have the correct brackets, pulleys, etc. to do this. I will attach some photos below with descriptions of what I have. My main concern is function. If I have a pulley that will work, but isn’t original for this truck that’s just fine with me.

Please go easy on me, I’m still pretty new to this whole thing. I don’t even know if the long WP pulleys interchange with the short WP pulleys.

I will be buying a remanufactured pump for a 71 C20 and I have the PS gearbox that was also on the 71 frame that I will have rebuilt.

Picture 1 is my current set up centered on where the pump will go.
Picture 2 is my current set up, but focused on the pulleys.
Picture 3 are pulleys that I have acquired over time.
Picture 4 is a pump that I have, but the pulley might be bent. I need to pull it and check if it’s straight.
Picture 5 is another pump that I have. The pulley looks straight, but is a double pulley.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2020, 09:56 PM   #2
Willys_MB

Re: Yet Another Power Steering Upgrade Question

More photos

Pictures 1-3 are of the same pump in the previous post. These photos are more to get an idea of the bracket and if it will work on this truck.
Picture 4 is the alternator bracket that my previous engine was using. It never had the lower bracket installed. If I can get a lower bracket from the parts board, will this work?

Would someone be able to post a clear picture of what a proper PS setup looks like? I did some searching and had a hard time figuring out what pulleys I need, how the belts should be routed, etc.

Thank you for any help. Everyone here is so helpful.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Yet Another Power Steering Upgrade Question

Well to answer your main question, no LWP & SWP pulleys will not work together at all. You need a complete set of which ever pump is used.

First thing is remove the ground strap it doesn't belong there and will need removing for the pump.
If your setup now has the crank & water pump pulleys installed then I would use the double PS pulley.
The 2 pumps you have are the correct pumps for these trucks. The round reservoir one is correct for the model year 68 but the square was used in the 70's. The double pulleys are found on most LWP setups.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Willys_MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Well to answer your main question, no LWP & SWP pulleys will not work together at all. You need a complete set of which ever pump is used.

If your setup now has the crank & water pump pulleys installed then I would use the double PS pulley.
That's a good start. So to make sure, I can install the double pulley that's currently on my long water pump setup onto the short water pump? And I can use the double pulley from the black power steering pump on my remanufactured PS pump I'll be getting in the mail next week for when I do the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
The 2 pumps you have are the correct pumps for these trucks. The round reservoir one is correct for the model year 68 but the square was used in the 70's. The double pulleys are found on most LWP setups.
Do you have any advice on the PS pump bracket? I have aftermarket exhaust manifolds, so I can't use that bolt hole in the exhaust manifolds anymore. I think that's where that dangling piece is supposed to mount, but I'm really not sure. The pump I'm buying is an ACDelco 36P1410. Here's a link:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...5144&jsn=12225

Thanks for your help, Andy!
Old 02-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
maverickmk

Here is a SBC power steering bracket for $30.00 that just bolts into the block & the water pump. Might be an alternative for you.

https://www.ebay.com/i/183028204193?...hoCKv4QAvD_BwE

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
Grumpy old man

This worked for me , A stock 71 style pump bracket with the short water pump style pulleys and pump and the 71 style alt bracket . Pickmup power steering hoses advance 27-7501 power steering gear box and lares 201 rag joint (coupler)
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
Willys_MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmk View Post
Here is a SBC power steering bracket for $30.00 that just bolts into the block & the water pump. Might be an alternative for you.

https://www.ebay.com/i/183028204193?...hoCKv4QAvD_BwE
Does anyone have experience with this bracket? I see there’s a black powder coated version that I’d probably rather go with.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F182639111623
Old 02-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #8
Willys_MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
This worked for me , A stock 71 style pump bracket with the short water pump style pulleys and pump and the 71 style alt bracket . Pickmup power steering hoses advance 27-7501 power steering gear box and lares 201 rag joint (coupler)
Is the bracket on my black PS pump a stock 71 bracket? I’m totally unfamiliar with these parts. Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
Grumpy old man

These are the brackets I used ,Stock brackets that have been chromed . Place a want to buy ad in the parts section
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
Willys_MB

Quote:
These are the brackets I used ,Stock brackets that have been chromed . Place a want to buy ad in the parts section
Grumpy, always with the sage advice! That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Do you have any feedback on my pulley conundrum?
Old 02-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #11
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys_MB View Post
Grumpy, always with the sage advice! That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Do you have any feedback on my pulley conundrum?
Well... Most don't want to hear it but I throw it out there occasionally

I'm building a period somewhat correct truck mostly parts and pieces from 67-71 ( I won't use 72 parts because the 72 truck owners are like a cult! ) that we could have built back in the day if we had the $$$ and we weren't driving them everyday for work , 350 4 bolt /4 speed Muncie rock crusher / 3.73 posi . Back in the day that's what I wanted . Nobody dropped trucks , There were no fancy paint jobs , Fancy stereo was AM/FM with an 8 track and dual speakers stuffed under the seat . BUT ... Adding chrome was the shineezle ! So back to your pulley situation , My 350 didn't come with pulleys so I just decided to go chrome aftermarket instead of chasing OEM , One night on the ol interweb and I had what I needed and I was done with the pulley chase . I'm sure one of the regular parts guys in the parts section can get you what you need ,Place a want to buy ad and you'll find them .

Old 02-12-2020, 11:51 PM   #12
Willys_MB

Quote:
Well... Most don't want to hear it but I throw it out there occasionally

I'm building a period somewhat correct truck mostly parts and pieces from 67-71 ( I won't use 72 parts because the 72 truck owners are like a cult! ) that we could have built back in the day if we had the $$$ and we weren't driving them everyday for work , 350 4 bolt /4 speed Muncie rock crusher / 3.73 posi . Back in the day that's what I wanted . Nobody dropped trucks , There were no fancy paint jobs , Fancy stereo was AM/FM with an 8 track and dual speakers stuffed under the seat . BUT ... Adding chrome was the shineezle ! So back to your pulley situation , My 350 didn't come with pulleys so I just decided to go chrome aftermarket instead of chasing OEM , One night on the ol interweb and I had what I needed and I was done with the pulley chase . I'm sure one of the regular parts guys in the parts section can get you what you need ,Place a want to buy ad and you'll find them .
Honestly that’s about where I am anyways. I like to stick OEM, but I also like to finish my projects in a timely manner

I’ve got a WTB post on the parts board and am hopeful, but if that doesn’t work I’ll hit eBay! Thank you all for your help!