The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Ever Driven One?

I got to thinking, we see people wanting to make all sorts of changes to these trucks. Some even talk like the changes are needed. Well, I've been around these trucks a very long time and the whole interest in these trucks from way back was how they still carried that classic all metal truck vibe with classic looks while being perfectly suited for modern driving. We used to refer to them as the "Modern Classic". So, a thought ran across my mind and I'm just wondering how many here have driven a mint loaded C/10 before? Either old enough to drive these when new, a cherry low-mile survivor, or a freshly restored one. I'm talking a CST or Cheyenne 10 with all the comfort and appearance options...and lets add in the big block, too. I'm curious how many here even know what that's like. If you ever have, or are fortunate enough to later, post up here what you thought. I know what I think and it's a mighty fine pleasure to say the least.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
doo142

Re: Ever Driven One?

When I was in school I was self employed and used these trucks back then because they were affordable. Needless to say I became attached . Later ( I was 19) I got my first blazer, then camping out took on a whole new meaning. Again I was hooked. I have always had rough ole girls but love the big steering wheel that steers them like butter, the solid sound of the doors shutting , the vent Windows , the ease of maintainance, I could go on. But no I have never driven a fresh one but yearn for the day when I finish my blazer. The only thing I question is if I'll be at ease enough to actually use it as much as I do my unrestored ones. I bought a nice one nearly done but it had a late model smaller diameter wheel in it and it just killed the driving expirience. I changed it right away, then it all came back!! Gotta love these old crates in any condition!!
67 Chevy Napco c30 Dump
56 GMC Napco 4x4 short step
66 Chevy K10
68 Chevy C/30 4x4

Last edited by doo142; 04-07-2016 at 08:51 AM.
doo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

I have ! Actually more than a few and it's no secret I love a stock truck just for what it is . I also have to admit I've destroyed more than a few K20's hauling firewood up north in the 70's . Splayed bedsides from rough loading , bashed in beds from hilly wood lots in the winter , I even shot the front hub off one when plowing snow and hit a frozen snowbank ! Everyone should try driving a stock truck before deciding on what type build you really want . Their only stock once after that it take repopped parts or a huge investment to bring it back to stock original ! I also have to admit I love the '67s base model boogie !
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
Ironangel

I wasn't old enough to drive until 1975, but I was fortunate enough to ride and camp in a 72 K/20 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper...My dads best friend came rolling up the driveway in that truck brand new in 1972. He sure was mighty proud of that rig and rightly so because back in 72 those Custom Campers were considered state of the art in the camping world. Years later I worked the same trade with my dad and his friend (Dennis) and they always commented on what a good truck that was and how much power that 402 had in the high country. They always had new trucks but Dennis always said none of them were as good as that 72 Cheyenne. They took several hunting trips to Colorado in that thing and often came back home with two bull elk in that camper! My two younger brothers and I always looked forward to off loading 500 lbs of dressed elk and 10 or 12 point mounts! I wish I had some pics of us three boys dragging two dressed and caped elk out of the back of that camper! Heres a pic of another truck, same color and options without the camper.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
dennislbrooks

My 67 is near stock restored. To me the only thing that is a must change is disc brakes on the front or adding power brakes. Even with new drum brakes all the way around, braking in heavy traffic especially when someone in the newer vehicles takes your front space away from you is a thrill. I suppose power brakes with the drums would help also and could have been ordered with the 67. Back in the early 70's I drove a 3/4 long bed stepside that was a pull piece with a 4 speed and a 283 ----- so that may date it as a 67. I know you could get a 327 in 68 but not the 283 --may be wrong.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #6
Ironangel

Dennis's truck and he and dads comments through the years left such an impression in me that I knew one day I would own one...Fast forward to recent years I was fortunate enough to retire the trade (Iron Worker) at 55 after 37 years. I found "Sally", a 72 C/10 LWB Custom/Deluxe and did in fact buy her from an old woman for $500 on the condition that I restore her, I gave her my word and drove her hom. I drove Sally to the grocery store last week and ran into that woman shopping and was able to show her what I had done to poor Sally. She just loved what I had done to her, big block and all! Two years ago, knowing I was going to need a tow vehicle I found "Belle" on a farm out in western Nebraska. The old boy was firm at $2500, she did have a new oak wood bed so I layed down 25 one hundred dollar bills and drove her home! I got her on that interstate and put the spurs to her and that 350 ran like a champ and that 3:08 posi cruised at 80 mph like a thoroughbred! Belle had factory overload leafs and knowing I was going to be towing with her, I installed 3/4 ton springs out back and installed a 3:73 posi. I rebuilt the 350 and installed Lunati Voodoo cam ground for low end torque. I took and built a 10,000+lb receiver hitch and put on four new 16" wheels and tires but left her for the most part stock. She pulls like a train and drives like a dream! Sally got a 4/4 static drop, a 69 SS-396 (built) motor out of a buddies El-Camino. She has a 3:08 Posi, behind an $1800 Monster built 350Turbo. I guess I best of both worlds with those two girls, the Thoroughbred and the Clydesdale, "Nasty Sally & Belle" ~Ghostrider~
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
palallin

I wasn't old enough to drive when they were new, but I rode many a mile in a two- or three-year old '67 GMC. No big-block, but a great truck. That and the '67 school bus I rode in those same years started my love affair with this model truck.

When I could drive, I was able to drive my uncle's low-mileage '70; again, no big-block, but otherwise a super truck.

When I got my '67 C10 short, widebed, it had a '69 327 in it but was otherwise stock, and, except for a few doo-dads, I left it that way. That ruck and I were the best of friends. Unfortunately, it got munched by a semi.

Now, I've got my '69 K10 LWB. It was a volunteer fire company's brush truck at one point, but, when I got it, it had a morphodite 305 in it and wore a fleetside bed that was pretty but half bondo. I put the long-set on it and put my pet 327 in it, but it is otherwise stock or at least period and will remain so.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

subscribed

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
67 chevelle

cool picture Ironangle
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #10
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I got to thinking, we see people wanting to make all sorts of changes to these trucks. Some even talk like the changes are needed. Well, I've been around these trucks a very long time and the whole interest in these trucks from way back was how they still carried that classic all metal truck vibe with classic looks while being perfectly suited for modern driving. We used to refer to them as the "Modern Classic". So, a thought ran across my mind and I'm just wondering how many here have driven a mint loaded C/10 before? Either old enough to drive these when new, a cherry low-mile survivor, or a freshly restored one. I'm talking a CST or Cheyenne 10 with all the comfort and appearance options...and lets add in the big block, too. I'm curious how many here even know what that's like. If you ever have, or are fortunate enough to later, post up here what you thought. I know what I think and it's a mighty fine pleasure to say the least.
No such luck. I learned to drive on my cousin's farm in a beat up no-options '69 K-10 with a 4 speed. Loved these trucks ever since.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
geunther

It wasn't brand new, but it was only a few years old when I bought my first 72 (Blazer). I bought it because I could not afford the new squares that my brothers were driving. The medium blue and white soon grew on me (man, Id love to have that thing back).

I never hesitated driving the thing across the country. I drove it to California a few times, even down on the beach. Evidently, that was illegal but it was what I saw in the old movies, so I did it. I soon got buried in the sand, let the tires down to about 5 pounds and drove right out. But then there was the challenge of driving in CA traffic with only 5 lbs of air until I could air back up.

I was just going to say a few words, but the feeling of that old thing strikes up all those memories like the one above. Which is why I sought out another 72.

Someone mentioned above, but I would not dream of getting rid of the vent windows.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
I wasn't old enough to drive until 1975, but I was fortunate enough to ride and camp in a 72 K/20 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper...My dads best friend came rolling up the driveway in that truck brand new in 1972. He sure was mighty proud of that rig and rightly so because back in 72 those Custom Campers were considered state of the art in the camping world. Years later I worked the same trade with my dad and his friend (Dennis) and they always commented on what a good truck that was and how much power that 402 had in the high country. They always had new trucks but Dennis always said none of them were as good as that 72 Cheyenne. They took several hunting trips to Colorado in that thing and often came back home with two bull elk in that camper! My two younger brothers and I always looked forward to off loading 500 lbs of dressed elk and 10 or 12 point mounts! I wish I had some pics of us three boys dragging two dressed and caped elk out of the back of that camper! Heres a pic of another truck, same color and options without the camper.
That 72 K20 cc is one of my favorites - it sold a while back. What a great find it would have been!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #13
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Once (kinda).

I went with member GCBurdic (geoff) to look at a suburban with him. It was low mileage, original, and loaded. I think it was a 71 or 72. It was a big block, auto, air (with the rear air set up!), just a super nice original paint, clean, ride. Rode really nice. I didn't get to drive it, but it was nice. Owner was pretty proud of it, so Geoff ended up passing.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #14
Alex V.

The only one of these era trucks I've even been in is my '67 Suburban (C10, 350/4-speed, HD shocks/springs, etc.) and just projecting how it runs and drives now to how far I know it is from new condition, I can only imagine how fine a thing it was before the odometer started rolling. No artificial engineering to improve handling, performance, etc. - just real quality.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #15
SS Tim

They were great trucks to drive when new or at least newish and one owner low mileage trucks were easily found.

Think a lot of the problem is people are driving fourty-four plus year old trucks that have suffered from use, abuse, neglect and ill-advised modifications while comparing the performace to a current production vehicle.

All to often we see a new owner of a dead drag home with a mods list pages long for a vehicle they have never really driven. Unfortunately the aftermarket pushing expensive modernizing parts and kits just fuel this.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #16

I've driven and own what special-k is talking about. I have a low mile original, a restored one and a high mile original, big blocks, all loaded out and what comes to mind is the difference between the older trucks and a newer one, anything built in the last 10 years, is the sound when driving. There is a noise, and not necessarily a bad one, in the cabin that is hard to quantify. Imagine being in a new Silverado with the windows rolled up, AC on, Bose stereo, cruise control set at 75 MPH, sitting in a nice comfortable leather seat in a cab that has miles of sound deadening insulation and was designed in a wind tunnel to eliminate wind noise. Hate to use the term, but its a pretty "sterile" environment. Rewind the clock 45 years and picture the same: air noise coming in around the windows, fan motor whining away, AM radio blasting, road/engine noise coming thru the 1/2 inch pad under the carpet and a fairly high coefficient of drag working against you the faster you drove and that's a recipe for a relatively speaking, austere kind of experience. That's what driving one is like, you just "experience" it more.

And when I redo an old truck and put it back together, I never add any sound deadening material...if they came like that from the factory, then that's how they're going back together. I have newer vehicles, so I don't bother trying to change an older one into a newer one. Owning an old truck is like a long marriage, there's times you wish your wife would change and you try to "update" her, but in the end, you're kind of glad she didn't change and you still have the old girl, warts and all. That's so poetic, I think I'm going to shed a tear!!!
1970 Sierra Grande LWB, 350/350
1971 Cheyenne LWB, 350/350
1972 Cheyenne Super LWB, 402/400
1972 Sierra Grande LWB, 402/400
1979 Silverado LWB, 350/350
1984 Suburban
1990 454 SS
1991 Silverado, X-cab, 4.3/5 speed Getrag
2005 Silverado Crew Cab
Corvettes: 75, 77, 78, 93, 96
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #17
jocko

the closest I've come to owning/driving a survivor (ha, it wasn't) was in about 1983 when my then 'new to me' Cheyenne 10 was a mere 11 yrs old. I grew up in NW Indiana, so salt had already done its number on that poor truck. Still loved it though. Anyway - it drove very well. Solid, good manners, not a bunch of stuff flopping around in the wind like a 43 year old truck would today. That's exactly why and how I want to restore my 72 when I get around to it.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #18
El Dorado Jim

I was a teenager in the seventies, have loved these trucks forever, I saw them everywhere and had a 72 stepside in 76 while a senior in high school,sold it in 77 to buy my first 4x4 a 73 K10swb, loved that truck but after a few years, got married, and needed a 3/4 ton 4x4, listened to my father in law, (a ford guy), bought a 75 Ford 3/4 high boy, was the biggest POS, was always wrenching on it along side the road, something was always wrong with it, so decided to find another chevy, couldn't find a 71-72 chevy K20at the time, so bought a 74 K20,this was back in 87 and I still have that truck today...But still wanted to get a 71-72 K20, love these trucks, found mine in about 2000 and still a work in progress, it drives great, planning on a crate engine this year, then get it painted....there is nothing greater than driving my 72 K20, I love everything about that truck
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Ever Driven One?

When I bought my 71 Custom Deluxe 30 years ago it was stock. No AC just heat. Had power steering. Had factory disc up front but not power. 3 speed on the column with a 307 2 barrel.
I drove it like that for several years and when I say drove it I mean drove it. I put over 100,000 miles on it in less than 8 years. The truck has been all over the south east several times. This was what I traveled in for work at all the nuclear stations. I spent 4 months in Fla @ Crystal River plant 1 year alone and drove it back and forth to home several times. That's 550 miles each way.
I have put 2 water pumps on it sitting on the side of I-85 interstate! I have had my share of the 70's driving experience and now I have it modified to make the long trips even better which when I say that I mean more coffy for me and the wife when she rides.
I will say this though. I love the 71 power steering and that is why I kept it in the truck when I swapped the pumps.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #20
A1971Blazer

My Dad bought a brand new '68 GMC for $2500.00......I was a couple of years from driving age but as soon as I was able to get my licence I drove it everywhere.....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #21
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

My friend's Dad had a mint 72 C10 big block short bed when I was in junior high. That was such a sweet truck. It was a fully loaded Cheyenne super he purchased at an auction and it was really low mileage. I remember that truck being elegant for a truck, but would still rip up a road. I think that truck started the bug for 67-72's for me.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #22
tutone

I learned to drive the old gravel roads in the county I now live in, in my uncle's top of the line 71 GMC. He ordered it new with air and steering, as well as power brakes. Blue and white long bed. I was just around 14 or so, and that kept me off the main roads. 350 as I remember with carpet. Have no idea where it went through the years. That was around 1975 and by the time I got my permit, it was long gone. It really drove and handled well.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #23
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

well I had on the honer 3 different owe cations I know wrong spelling of the word.tried to sound it out it sounds right.

Now one was in a 1972 3 door suburban grate Grand dad bought it 2 days before he passed away left it in the big wood shop he built his wife never drove it.It sat in there for 12 years with only 15 miles on it.I was 12 years old and i was able to drive it down the drive way.

My uncial bought a 3 ton bobtail Custom fully load with AC and restored it to brand new In Oklahoma was down there to visit and got to drive it in the Parade.I know its not a C10 it was a C60 1966 18 foot bed with a Automatic in it he converted it,

A friend of mine was Gun down in a robbery he was into all these old Chevy products Like 55 Belair 60 Impala 66 Corvette 1971 Cheyenne 1/2 ton the orange and white and he had a lot of Camaro's all 3 year 67-68-69 Chevlles 64 and 70 and 1 dodge charger 1968 RS.He had a love for these old car's and all of his close friends dove these car's and trucks in his wake.

Me i'm not into restoring the out side of the body on my trucks i like doing the in side and under the hood and the chassis.

It was a good posting thanks for thinking of it.I need to think of one for the Big trucks like the C30-C80's Like them old Big bobtail trucks or the old wrecker dovetail those are the ones that i truly like
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #24
Jason Banks

Here is one I restored. I'll never forget that first drive across the lake on a long bridge. ZZ4 engine, automatic. The black Cheyenne Super with the 402 3OTT(converted to floor) was mechanically perfect, but looked rough. It was my all time favorite.

The 250 3OTT truck I have now, almost gives me the same joy.

Here is the black truck under the hood:
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #25
Ed F

That under hood shot is gorgeous Jason.
My Dad got a new C10 in '66, and another new one in '68. I got my drivers license in the fall of '68 and it was about the third truck I got to drive. My brother bought a short box step side in '69 that I drove a little. Then in January of '70 I bought a new C20 Fleetside, at 17 years old. A year later I put an 8' slide in camper on it. Total price for the truck and the camper was $3500. At that same time I worked for a guy who had a nearly new F250 Camper Special. All of those trucks drove very well, worked hard and were very dependable. Today I drive a 2013 K1500 SLE and the C10's. I prefer the original look, ride and feel in the older trucks. If I want smooth, quiet, comfortable, great handling, great sound system etc, I drive the K1500 which has been totally flawless for 60,000 miles. I have the older trucks to enjoy the experience of owning and driving older trucks. They are only original once!
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote