The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Geezer2

10 Bolt Rebuild

Hello,

My 1982 4x4 10 bolt (rear) siezed at 35mph and after pulling the rear cover the carrier was cracked and the spider gears shattered. It served me well for 265 miles.
QUESTION: Is there a good DVD or video that details how to rebuild a 3rd member? Even a hard copy manual would probably work. I have done my share of SBC rebuilds and a couple of manual transmissions, but never a rear end except for axle and axle bearing/seal replacements. I assume this will be a complete rebuild, ring and pinion as well as carrier assembly. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Geezer2; 03-30-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: correct content
Geezer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
bitchin85

Re: 10 Bolt Rebuild

im pretty sure you have to have a shop put ur ring and pinion in. it needs to be indicated in perfectally. that alone costs a couple hundred bucks. im not sure bout anything else because i have about the same amount of experiance as you lol..but im no expert.. anyone else?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

what are your skills, Rear ends MUST be done right,

you mess up and you have a bigger problem in the end.
Its not like changing your oil!!
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

ive never done it myself but with the write ups on the forums and the right tools + confidence it can be done at home. me myself when i get my hands on a posi, im doing it myself.
on the other hand if you lack one of the 2 criteria, shops charge extra (normal price) if you bring the truck in as a whole... if you bring the diff by itself, they give you a price discount... fyi
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 AM   #5
Geezer2

Thanking all for our inputs, all comments have helped. I am droppng the diff the next couple of days and will take it apart except the R/P. We'll see what things look like, I know for sure the carrier is shot. I have located a used 3rd member drum to drum so I should be back on the road fairly quick. That will give me time to take the old diff apart and smarten up. Agree, calibrating the backlash on a R/P replacement appears to be no trivial task and looks like it requires an experienced eye to adjust. That may need to be done by a pro and I will have the diff ready for bench work. However, I'm kinda inclined to take things on unless I lack special tools. Anyway if any think of something else please pass on. Thanks......
Old 05-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Geezer2

OK, I took the diff to a pro and they pressed on new carrier bearings, reinstalled the ring and pinion and checked for correct tolerances. I bought a used carrier and spider gears from them. Also installed new axle bearings and seals. I intsalled the diff and now have to fill with fluid and test. Thanks

I keep searching for the procedure to install new spider gears but cannot find anything.