The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2003, 01:00 PM   #1
PureChevy

TBI ??'s

hypothetically,

say, i could get a throttle body injection off of a 91 chevy 350? What would it take to put it on mine, and would it be worth it?
Old 07-25-2003, 01:36 PM   #2
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Hypothetically,

It would take a new wire harness or modify the old one, an ECM which could come from the donor truck, all the sensors and accessories. A bit of time, and some engineering. I think it would be worth it if you could get it cheap enough. I am putting TPI on mine, but am piecing it togther. If you had the complete engine then it would be easier to be sure you had all the right parts. Painless makes a wire harness as do many others. You would get better mileage, and better throttle response. Plus the cool factor. I would go for it if I were you.

good luck.

jmanz69
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:05 PM   #3
PureChevy

hypothetically i would have the complete truck. Who knows really. I work with this guy who has this '91 swb step that has like 200,000miles and he is thinking about buying a new truck. I will try and talk him into keeping this one and putting a big block in it for an off road machine. IF he were to do that then i could probably get everything for real cheap.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:36 PM   #4
Locutus

Well unless he went with an aftermarket fuel injection or a carb(which is illegal for on road use) he would still be using the orginal TBI with the big block. All it would take would be bigger injectors and a programming upgrade to his computer. He will probably want to keep it street legal to get where he likes to offroad for convience sake. If you find an old junk yard, many of those guys will let you clean it off of a wrecked truck pretty cheap. Forget these new junk yards that know what everything is worth. You can find the best deals in the most unlikely places

Mike
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:58 PM   #5
PureChevy

cool. I appreciate the help fellas. I am no where near doing this, i was just curious.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:02 PM   #6
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

It wouldn't be that hard to do, just don't think you will get it done fast. Give yourself time to fiddle with it. Also, do your research on what works and what doesn't. Search the net for articles and stories on how others did it. Check out the companies that make harnesses for it too, they can prove to be helpful. There are a lot of aftermarket companies making harnesses. Shop around for the little parts you might need to get it going, and don't give up on it too easy.

Have fun, and good luck.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:07 PM   #7
PureChevy

It sounds like a good plan, but i was just asking. I think that the guy is going to trade his truck in anyways. Thanks for the help though. It may come in to use in a couple years. I gotta get the exhaust and body work done first. Then maybe HEI, and who knows what else.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:11 PM   #8
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I am selling an HEI Dist on ebay right now. Came out of my truck. Going pretty cheap, take a look http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2424982926

Also have a Performer Intake up too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2424982119
Old 07-25-2003, 08:13 PM   #9
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Somewhere, there is a web page that tells step by step how to to do the conversion.. What harness you need and what vehicle should be the donor for your intended usage. I had it saved in my favorites, because I'm contemplating the same move, but when my harddrive crashed I lost all of my web addresses. It was very informative and went into depth from stock to modified use.

If anyone finds it let us know, I'd like to have it again.

Ron
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote