The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
azsmokey

LS motor swap fuel system questions...

We have the motor in and are now planning the fuel system. Has anyone used inline tube or classic tube? Do they have a kit for an LS swap? We are using the CPP underbed fuel tank. We have not ordered any of the other parts for the fuel system yet. This is our first foray into the LS swap, and fuel injection for that matter, so what parts are required to make this unit run right?

Sending unit?
Lines?
Pump?

Anyone that has completed the fuel injected swap or has knowledge thereof, your help is appreciated.
azsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Sicmaro
Always wrenching!!

Re: LS motor swap fuel system questions...

all stock 5.3l. i used the fuel rails that had the return line and pressure regulator built in to it. i used a Holley black carburated pump and a walbro in-line 190 pump. also a cheap fram fuel filter. everything works perfect, dyno'd it and air/fuel top end was perfect. used goodyear fuel injection rubber line, and i used the stock tank and sending unit.

19 RZR XP4 turbo Dynamix
56 Belair 5.3/4L60E swap in progress

Last edited by Sicmaro; 08-17-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Sicmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
AMD6769

use a inline walbro190 and a corvette fuel filter with regulater & return all in one its out a 1998 -2005 models that you can get at local napa. I have in my c-10 and drive it every day
AMD6769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Woody

Sicmaro,

I have a 99 vortec FI that I am going to put in to my 69. If I read your post right you have the Holly Pump feeding the Walbro 190 pump? And then is that a return line coming back from the Holly pump? And a filter before the Holly?
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Sicmaro
Always wrenching!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Sicmaro,

I have a 99 vortec FI that I am going to put in to my 69. If I read your post right you have the Holly Pump feeding the Walbro 190 pump? And then is that a return line coming back from the Holly pump? And a filter before the Holly?
the return line is coming from the fuel rail on the motor. yes the holley is feeding the walbro. ya its just a simple fuel filter. works for me......
19 RZR XP4 turbo Dynamix
56 Belair 5.3/4L60E swap in progress
Sicmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

This is what I used on mine.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...200387&page=13

I have a ECE stainless tank with an intank pump. My supercharger is set up for a single feed so I used a corvette filter/pressure regulator.

R/
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 08-18-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
billyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
This is what I used on mine.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...200387&page=13

I have a ECE stainless tank with an intank pump. My supercharger is set up for a single feed so I used a corvette filter/pressure regulator.

R/
Hartrod,

I'm no expert but I can use the voice of experience and say that you might not be happy with your fuel set up while using the supercharger. I originally went with the same type of system you did but couldn't get enough fuel to my motor to keep it from running lean under boost. I do have the 6.0, cam and ported J tube and 90mm throttle body so that may makes a difference but I wish I'd started with what I have now, it's much cleaner and gives me a greater peace of mind.

I'm using the same style SC as you without the return line but I took the front fuel cross over tube off and plumbed an aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator that is boost referenced between the 2 rails. I was able to mount it to the SC snout support and it looks very clean. You can then run the return line from it back to the tank, this is the best way to regulate fuel pressure when using boost (atleast that is what I was told).

Sorry for the thread drift and if you need any more info let me know.

Bill

1972 K/5 4x4, Radixed LS1 6.0, 428HP/445TQ, Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam, WCCH 90mm J-Tube, LS2 90mm TB, Stainless Works Headers, NV4500, 4.56 gears, Detroit Lockers, 14 bolt FF, Dana 60, 4 wheel disk Hydro Brakes, dual electric fans, Autometer guages, 4" lift, Zero Rates, Weld Evo Velocity XT8 wheels, 35x12.5x17 Super Swamper SSR's.....
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...tos/?start=all
billyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjo View Post
Hartrod,

I'm no expert but I can use the voice of experience and say that you might not be happy with your fuel set up while using the supercharger. I originally went with the same type of system you did but couldn't get enough fuel to my motor to keep it from running lean under boost. I do have the 6.0, cam and ported J tube and 90mm throttle body so that may makes a difference but I wish I'd started with what I have now, it's much cleaner and gives me a greater peace of mind.

I'm using the same style SC as you without the return line but I took the front fuel cross over tube off and plumbed an aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator that is boost referenced between the 2 rails. I was able to mount it to the SC snout support and it looks very clean. You can then run the return line from it back to the tank, this is the best way to regulate fuel pressure when using boost (atleast that is what I was told).

Sorry for the thread drift and if you need any more info let me know.

Bill
That looks pretty sweet. Mine will be stock except for a tune and the Doug Thorley headers. Do you think I will have a problem?

Also here's a link to Shifty's fuel setup that I pretty much copied, .

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...370781&page=10

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 08-18-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
billyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
That looks pretty sweet. Mine will be stock except for a tune and the Doug Thorley headers. Do you think I will have a problem?

Also here's a link to Shifty's fuel setup that I pretty much copied, .

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...370781&page=10
The injectors in the SC are much larger than what a regular LS1 intake has, I think the ones in the SC manifold are 42lbs and the ones in a normal LS1 or LS6 intake are 28lbs but don't quote me on that.

You need a lot more fuel when using the SC and when I was using the corvette fuel pressure regulator set up like you have now (and Shifty) it didn't allow me to get enough fuel to my system.

I monitor mine with tuning software and a wide band O2 sensor. When you're in boost @ WOT you want your AFR to be 11.7 and when you are running a normally aspirated motor high 12's is fine. With the corvette fpr under boost I was lucky to get low 13 AFR and running lean in boost like that means you will be rebuilding your motor soon.

You'll know for sure if when you have yours tuned they monitor the AFR whether it's on a dyno or the street. If you are going with a mail order tune and you don't have a way to monitor the AFR I would be a scared.

You might be fine with what you have now but if you switch I know you'll be fine and for me a few more dollars to make the change was VERY cheap insurance considering everything that went into the swap.

Bill

1972 K/5 4x4, Radixed LS1 6.0, 428HP/445TQ, Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam, WCCH 90mm J-Tube, LS2 90mm TB, Stainless Works Headers, NV4500, 4.56 gears, Detroit Lockers, 14 bolt FF, Dana 60, 4 wheel disk Hydro Brakes, dual electric fans, Autometer guages, 4" lift, Zero Rates, Weld Evo Velocity XT8 wheels, 35x12.5x17 Super Swamper SSR's.....
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...tos/?start=all
billyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

Here: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...56#post6993756

You hafta sign up to see pictures, but I have that info and so many other helpful bits of info in my swap thread at that link.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote