The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
cincytrucktp

truck search frustration thread &#$%@&*

Guess I'm impatient but I've been looking for a nice 67-72 short bed for the last 2-3 months. Well the search is not going to good and I'm really starting to get frustrated. Living here in the Cincinnati Ohio area all you find is either show trucks for 30k or bondo bucket trucks. Everything I've gone to look at have been in the 8k range and to be honest I wouldn't have given them 3k for their junk. I guess that's just what I'm going to have to deal with if I try to find something local. Now the story even gets better. I decided to venture out and look on the web pretty much anywhere in the 48 states. Well I found one really nice truck in richmond VA but it sold before I could either fly out or drive to see it. Nice hugger orange/white 9500.00. Well wouldn't you know I see that same truck on ebay 2 days later now in N.C for 15k. NICE! Looks like that buyer is just trying to make a buck. Next I found another nice blue 72, pretty much exactly what I wanted for about 15k. Next day SOLD. Then two days later same blue truck now in Missouri on ebay for 19995.00. Ok, I'm seeing a pattern here. Don't get me wrong I know there are people out there making a living buying and selling vehicles and I normally don't mind it but come on, don't try and ask 5,6,7k more than what the truck is worth. And I thought someone told me the economy was bad, bad time to invest and that cars (old classics) values were down and it's a good time to buy but not to invest. Anyway pretty frustrated. You'd think for 12-15k I could find something nice out there that wasn't a rust/bondo bucket.

Please make me feel better and tell me your sob story on trying to find a truck!!!
cincytrucktp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
dfwright

Re: truck search frustration thread &#$%@&*

I assume you haven't found anything to your liking on the for sale section right here? There's some nice trucks listed...

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
lks dcvn

Looked for 4-6 months for a decent 69-72 Blazer - finally found one in the range I wanted to spend and the condition - out in Washington State!

There are some nice trucks on the board for sale...if you find something nice out West - there is a board member who can deliver it to you - if you want to go that route...

Trucks are plentiful and less rusty out West...

If I ever need another truck/Blazer I will look out there and have it shipped to Ohio.

Welcome to the board - good luck in your search.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
70chevytruck

I too have been looking for a shortbed truck. Prefer one finished with the new style motor and trans in it. Hard to find a good one that isn't $20K>

70chevytruck
70chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
big_al_71

Keep looking the trucks are out there....Dont get discouraged...I have been looking for a 68CST finished and cant find one to my liking I want it turn key ready to go..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
gmcdude

If you made it to a show in pegion forge tn like the (rod run )in the fall. you could find one there cheaper. The last day of the weekend prices are cut for sales.

Last edited by gmcdude; 12-15-2009 at 06:42 PM.
gmcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Thealien

Better to spend a year plus looking for the right one or years of regret working on the wrong one
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
jholley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Better to spend a year plus looking for the right one or years of regret working on the wrong one
wholeheartedly!

Jim

Garage fillers...

85 Chevy C10 Silverado LWB
07 Nissan Altima
2006 Mini Cooper S
jholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
Mowdigger

Here is an Illinois Cl add.Don't know anything about it and don't know where it is at. 1971 Chevy p/u shortbed - $800 (Decatur)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-12-10, 2:08PM CST
Reply to: sale-2cjwj-1504138062@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE, I have a 1971 Chevy p/u short bed. It has a 250 straight six w/ manual 3 speed on the floor. This is a perfect project truck with many parts as well. I have new rocker panels, taillights and so on. I can email pics if requested. The down fall to this is I am having trouble finding the title but I am not sure what kind of hassle it would be to get one. Please feel free to email me or call at 618-978-4574. I will consider best offer or a trade as well. Any info or pictures needed please feel free to contact me.
Mowdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
jablack
Classic Chevy Recycler

I could build you a nice one for 15k.

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
1970 Chevrolet C50
1979 Chevrolet C30

Need another 67 or 68 soon...
jablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
leddzepp

You need to come out West if you want rust free for a decent price.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
weeble

I know what you're going through and I was in the same boat . Id go and look at trucks in supposedly great shape drive one or two hours and find some of the biggest rust buckets around. I found that asking for alot of pics especially of the cab supports/rockers/cab corners/ etc is important and if the person doesnt want to provide them than beware. I found my 71 on ebay for $7500 which included delivery from Arkansas and it has almost no rust and the owner was happy to provide me with alot of pictures of the underside of the truck and the bed and the frame to show me how good a shape it was in. But it took me a long time to find something I liked and I had some of the same frustrations you are having. What I will say is that the people selling on this forum were all very truthful in their descriptions of their vehicles, and although I didnt find exactly what I wanted here, I wouldnt hesitate to use this. Also when you see a good deal, be ready to commit because theres probably someone else looking to jump on a good deal. Hope that helps
weeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
GKsport67

u can get mine for $4000. I invested $3500 invested with reciepts. It's a good foundation for a street rod.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1504136894.html
GKsport67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:15 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Keep looking and be patient.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
jim zag
ENGINE BUILDER

If you are smart you need to look at rusty trucks to learn where the rust starts, then look at every truck you can find within a reasonable distance from home. Do not be in a hurry the right truck will come along. I have been looking for a 67 stepside for years now and stumbled across a 68 C-20 Camper Special that spent most of it's life in a barn! I HAD to buy it because it is in GREAT shape! By the way I bought 2 trucks in Ohio. One near Columbus and one outside Cleveland. They are out there just go LOOK!
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #16
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I'm not looking in your price range I just want a project to play with over the winter ....what I love is when you talk to a guy and he tells you that he's driving it and it's in good shape for the year..... last truck I drove 3 hours up to maine with the trailer on pulled in the driveway "cash in hand"......drove right past the truck looking for the one that was for sale ....after backing up... Before I even got out of the truck I told the GF that it was a nice day for a ride anyway..... got out went over to the truck opened the door and saw nothing but the trans and ground......

One thing I have learned is that finding a truck that is worth the $$ is like hunting for a needle in a hay stack up in NE seems there are alot of trucks made from rusty Gold??

Oh by th way as soon as I get off the puter I'm going to drive an hour to look at a 67 K10...guys asking 1500 ...oh did I mention that the motor is in the bed and half the inside is missing??...wtf...lets see it was bought for parts...stay tuned and good luck....

I think my next truck will be a SW truck without the rust....the prices seem to be more inline with what I THINK they are worth

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:12 AM   #17
cincytrucktp

All great advise. Thanks! I guess I'm just going to have to be patient! I thought maybe winter time would be a good time to buy. People wanting to sell their trucks to start the new year with a new project. I have been using this site for ad's and I agree alot of nice trucks but I think most are sold already. The hunt continues!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #18
big_al_71

I have had some really nice $$$ offers on mine but just knowing all the junkers out there I resist the temptation of selling mine. Thats why I am looking for a show quality 68 so I can then sell mine.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 AM   #19
mike16

three months is not alot of time plus when the deal shows up ya gott jump. it borders on an impuls purchase with a little emotion thrown in. You need to hook up with some of us AZ fools. the chit is just layin a round down here. Cant one of us help this dude?
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #20
Huck

Three months, three months!!!! You're kidding right?? Hell I spent two years just looking for a great SWB bed floor and then picked it up in Pa--that a board member bought and brought back from NM. Put a "wanted to buy" on our board and in time, you will get the opportunity--but beware as timing, location, and description compared to actuality can be tough. Good LUCK
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #21
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Three months, three months!!!! You're kidding right?? Hell I spent two years just looking for a great SWB bed floor and then picked it up in Pa--that a board member bought and brought back from NM. Put a "wanted to buy" on our board and in time, you will get the opportunity--but beware as timing, location, and description compared to actuality can be tough. Good LUCK
Huck makes a very god point. But to post a WTB one needs to be a Site Supporter which is the best $25 that you can spend. Geee...that's only a tank full of gas. That would give you a lot of eyes out there looking for you officially. You could post a "Want To Buy" and spell out exactly what you are looking for, the price range etc. I live just north of you and I found my truck in Celina Tn. and it was about $2300 and except for the bed (you all remember my rust free bed ) it was a real solid truck. Best of luck

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #22
DANTIP

More Advice!

Find and make the best deal on a "Needs-Nothing" truck. You will pay more for a great truck, but the investment is typically much better if someone else has invested more $$$ than the truck could sell for.

This is probably the best time to be looking for a vintage truck! Good Luck, and ENJOY the hunt!!!
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #23
cincytrucktp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
More Advice!

Find and make the best deal on a "Needs-Nothing" truck. You will pay more for a great truck, but the investment is typically much better if someone else has invested more $$$ than the truck could sell for.

This is probably the best time to be looking for a vintage truck! Good Luck, and ENJOY the hunt!!!
--
I couldn't agree more. Told myself to spend a little more this time and benefit from someone else loss instead of me putting all my money in a project and then selling for a loss.

I guess 3 months is not a long time to look for a nice truck. Guess I was thinking there were alot of these old trucks out there still and that everyone only wanted hot rod camaro's and mustangs. ha ha.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #24
rcrahn

If you can swing it you owe it to yourself to come out West to look for your truck. Start with something clean and you'll be happier in the long run. Schedule a trip to attend the Pomona Swap meet in S. CA sometime. Hundreds of vehicles for sale and alot of fun.
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #25
jorgensensc

I felt your pain!! i posted a similar thread a couple of years ago. Even here in Texas trucks are getting over priced for what they are. And yes we get rust down here in Houston too. I ended up buying a truck from a board member and flying to Arizona and driving it back. A nice little short stepper that runs like a top, but needed interior work and paint. Drove it all the way home with no problems. I agree with the others, pay the 25.00 and post a WTB. There are a tone of projects on the board right now that are going for good prices (considering the amount of custom parts on them). I would suggest opening yourself up to Stepsides. They are usually cheaper than fleet sides (although steppers are much cooler ), and then when you find a nice fleet side bed you can switch it out and sell the stepper bed. I caution you though, steppers are starting to become more popular, and will in time take over the world!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHA (my evil laugh).
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Last edited by jorgensensc; 12-16-2009 at 11:21 AM.
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote