The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
72bigred

1960 Rear coilovers, good idea or no??

I just recently saw a 60 C10 with coilovers in the rear.. It appears the guy fabbed a mount to put the coilover in the stock spring location and deleted his rear shock.. It was odd looking at first, it looks like the pic I added. One up through the frame and the other of course down through the trailing arm. I have not seen this before it interested me as I am involved in a ground up of my wifes 60.. Any suspension guys out there see a problem with this? Obviously it is working on the truck I saw although is it really a good idea?

I have seen where people welded a mount to the side of the rear arms, crossed the frame with a tube and used a coilover vertically down to the arm.. But nothing like this before.

Skez

Last edited by 72bigred; 08-25-2008 at 08:36 PM.
72bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 AM   #2
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: 1960 Rear coilovers, good idea or no??

This is what I'm doing to my 62. I think 60-62 Frames were the same. I maybe wrong.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=281870

What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.

Last edited by 1Bad62Pro/Street; 08-26-2008 at 06:55 AM.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Frizzle Fry

Re: 1960 Rear coilovers, good idea or no??

A coilover in the stock sping location would leave you with very little travel unless you are planning on raising the ride height. A shock's stroke is typically less than half its overall length. With the coilover mounts you describe in the mix as well you would have very little room left for suspension travel. For decent travel you'd want the top of the shock mounted as high as possible and the bottom of the shock well below the axle tubes to maximize length. A lot of times you'll see shocks/coilovers mounted at an angle for this reason.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 1960 Rear coilovers, good idea or no??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
A coilover in the stock sping location would leave you with very little travel unless you are planning on raising the ride height. A shock's stroke is typically less than half its overall length. With the coilover mounts you describe in the mix as well you would have very little room left for suspension travel. For decent travel you'd want the top of the shock mounted as high as possible and the bottom of the shock well below the axle tubes to maximize length. A lot of times you'll see shocks/coilovers mounted at an angle for this reason.
X2 on what Frizzle said. If you're wanting to convert to coilovers, look at basically replacing the standard shocks with the coilovers, but with some modifications. I remember seeing a coilover conversion kit available somewhere, but I just can't remember where.....I'll let you know if I think of it.

You do see some crazy stuff in our area, but it isn't necessarily a good idea.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote