The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

picked up a 71 396 chevy

So the last couple months I've been talking with a guy about getting his truck which he told me was a 1971 longhorn special camper truck. He said if I can figure out a way to get it, I could have it for free. So for about a month I did what could to try and talk some friends into going and picking it up for me. With no luck, I decided I had better just get it myself. I had a friend go get me a rental trailer since they wouldn't let me rent one without a license. He brought it to me, I hooked onto it and left yesterday morning about 6am. Made it back without being pulled over at about 7pm.

Now for the truck. It's a 1971 Chevy long bed. Is not a longhorn. It's 100% complete. It's about 98% rust free. Stock motor other than a new Edlebrock carb. The guy told me it has a 454 big block in it. I knew for sure it was a big block, but the spid said a 396. After a bit of cleaning today, I ran the numbers and sure as shi$ it is the factory 396.

He said he was going to rebuild the motor after it starting smoking. I'm hoping it's just the valve seats that are bad.

Anyways, I'll get you guys some pics later today. Just thought I'd share my luck. This truck won't be touched till next August. For more info on why that is, I have a build thread called the "24 day project".
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: picked up a 71 396 chevy

Good deal, I was given a truck like that, only in my case I bent a cheater pipe trying to spin the engine over. I sold the a/c brackets off of it for $400 and got enough for scrap out of it to pay for going to get it.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
9teen69

Very very nice find. Have fun!
70 Camaro RS (daily driver backup)
69 Custom LWB C10 (son now drives)
9teen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Congrats man! Yes, get us pictures!

I am strongly considering getting another truck myself next summer: setting some cash aside over winter for that.

Only real problem is covered storage. My yard won't allow a carport although I have gobs of driveway space.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
68shortwide

Awesome! Pretty much the same situation with mine, just gotta go get it, cept mines in pieces....in a gravel lot...minus a motor..and interior..and pretty much just a frame and sheet metal XD
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #6
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
Good deal, I was given a truck like that, only in my case I bent a cheater pipe trying to spin the engine over. I sold the a/c brackets off of it for $400 and got enough for scrap out of it to pay for going to get it.
I'm going to try and turn it over it hopes nothing is ceased up or broken. The guy said it's always been parked in his shop. Only parked outside once or twice. From the looks of it, I don't know. But it is really straight and darn near rust free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen69 View Post
Very very nice find. Have fun!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Congrats man! Yes, get us pictures!

I am strongly considering getting another truck myself next summer: setting some cash aside over winter for that.

Only real problem is covered storage. My yard won't allow a carport although I have gobs of driveway space.
Will get pics tomorrow. As far as another truck goes, I sent you a PM about the other one. When you decide you can get one let me know. I'll help you find a rust free one. There's quite a bit in my area for pretty cheap. Only problem is you're like 2k miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortwide View Post
Awesome! Pretty much the same situation with mine, just gotta go get it, cept mines in pieces....in a gravel lot...minus a motor..and interior..and pretty much just a frame and sheet metal XD
Well it's better than nothing. You still got something to start with....hopefully
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote