The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Droff

My New '68 GMC ... kinda Ouch

My first post with a question or two. I've searched and read, searched and read. I want a nice looking/good running truck, not a show truck. I think I've got a decent start down that path...

I picked up a '68 GMC 3/4 ton yesterday, first truck I've owned in this age range, still learning what the particulars are to suspension and braking with an 8 lug. It's got a 350 ('86 age range) and 350 auto transmission, column shifter. A few bubble spots/rust spots with the clear coat coming off but a good 20-30 footer for the most part. Drum/drum brakes with no booster, not used to that at all, so that's my first (maybe second fix) on the truck.
I test drove it, rode like a 50 yr old truck, ran it up to 65, steering was fairly solid, not too much play. All seemed good enough. Paid the man, got the title and a full tank of gas and headed out.

Got out on the road, ran it up to 65 and it starts cutting out, losing power and speed, like it's choking for fuel. I pull over and let it idle for a few minutes, no sputter or cough, sounds and feels smooth and even. Take off again and climb to about 60 and the problem re-starts. Process repeated for about a half hour until I can get it to the house, just at dark.

I figure a couple new fuel filters and most likely cleaning the Edelbrock carb on it and then see where things go from there. It doesn't look like the original tank but I'm not sure what one would look like, this one just looks 'newer'. Could be trash in the tank too, don't know yet. The PO drove it, it wasn't a sitting truck. So that's my first fix unless I should be looking another direction?

Once I get it going, I need help getting it stopped (second fix). I want to drive it so I don't want a lot of down time or too much cost initially. I figure just add a booster and that should help stop the right leg workout. I don't know that I need Captainfab's booster bracket, not too concerned with room in the engine compartment, I just need a booster I can bolt to the firewall, the MC and then to the pedal. I THINK I've got that worked out, still looking around at what to pick up.

Anyway, don't know how much I can add to the knowledge base that's not already here but it's nice having a place to go for some help.
Thanks.
Droff is offline   Reply With Quote