The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Tallfry

Electric fuel pump issues

Hi all, I installed a new Holley red electric fuel pump on my 1985 C2500 with a new basic crate 350 this summer to fix a vapor locking issue, well it seems that it has given up the ghost allready and it is outside its 90 day "no exception" return policy. This is my daily driver and I live in Utah where it has been decent weather for December and I been able to ride my motorcycle back and forth to work but that won't last much longer. Can I get some ideas on a replacement? Thanks in advance for any help. ~Casey
Tallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Electric fuel pump issues

So, my guess is that the fuel pump is mounted to the frame, the source is the stock fuel tank, and you are supplying a carb on the engine. Now how far from the fuel tank is th epump? Is there a filter in between the tank and the pump? Do you have a pressure regulator at the carb end to control fuel to the engine?

Fuel pumps do not like to have to pull fuel into them, so if you are pulling up through the tank's normal fuel line at the top, this could have impacted your pump's llifespan. If you do not have a filter, then you could have pulled dirt into the pump. See where this is going.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
85chevy86

I got a carter not sure of the part number but it is like this one

http://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P4594/10002/-1

A little loud but that does not bother me. From what I read since it is a rotary vane pump there is nothing to wear out or leak.
85chevy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Tallfry

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
So, my guess is that the fuel pump is mounted to the frame, the source is the stock fuel tank, and you are supplying a carb on the engine. Now how far from the fuel tank is th epump? Is there a filter in between the tank and the pump? Do you have a pressure regulator at the carb end to control fuel to the engine?

Fuel pumps do not like to have to pull fuel into them, so if you are pulling up through the tank's normal fuel line at the top, this could have impacted your pump's llifespan. If you do not have a filter, then you could have pulled dirt into the pump. See where this is going.
Frank, you are correct on most accounts. The pump is attached the frame with very heavy duty rubber spacer in between and about 18-24" from the tank. I did not think to put in a filter between the tank and pump, thou there is one by the carb(little help here). I don't have a fuel regulator and know little about one so I will need to look that up. And yes I do see where your going there. Thanks!

'85 I will check out the carter, thanks for the recommendation.
Tallfry is offline   Reply With Quote