The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Steve Van Gent

Help with 700R4 and 305?

Just purchased power plant from 91 Camaro for my 65 truck. several questions;

1. If I had a horseshoe motor mount on my old 350/4speed, what can I use for conventional dual motor mounts? Who sells them, or maybe late model?
2. what should I use for transmission mount crossmember?
3. This motor has Throttle body removed, and Edelbrock Performer manifold mounted. I do not see an Edelbrock performer for 91 SBC, who do I ask?
4. THis motor had serpentine belt, all missing. I want to use traditional 75 series alternator, water pump, power steering, Vibration damper. Pros/Cons?
5. Speedometer appears to be solid state on tranny, how do I connect to my 65?
6. Drive shaft options? SHould I use 65, or go buy something else? 2 U-joints or three?
7. should I place motor in origional location or can I move it forward for more firewall space ( I guess this goes with item 1 above)?
8. What should I use for tranny cooler? I am told I should be water cooled, I have a 57 chevy radiator I like very much, I would rather not change...
9. ANy "gotchas" to watch out for?

SOrry about several questions, just lots to research, not sure what forum to ask. Thanks for any help on any or all questions.

Steve
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
Steve Van Gent

Re: Help with 700R4 and 305?

just read some other threads, just to be clear, this is Camero V8 motor, not truck V6 motor....
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Help with 700R4 and 305?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Van Gent View Post
Just purchased power plant from 91 Camaro for my 65 truck. several questions;

1. If I had a horseshoe motor mount on my old 350/4speed, what can I use for conventional dual motor mounts? Who sells them, or maybe late model?

I'm not sure what you mean by "horseshoe mounts" so I am going to assume you are refering to the original style mounts. Anyway you can use the original motor mounts you had or you can switch to the '73 and newer ones for the trucks. I actually prefer those for high perf applications. Just keep in mind that the '91 305 is still a small block chevy.

2. what should I use for transmission mount crossmember?

Here again you can use a trans crossmember from a '69-'87 truck with an auto trans. You will have to drill holes to mount it in the frame, and you will most likely have to either switch the trans mount to a 2 bolt style or just drill a hole in the crossmember.

3. This motor has Throttle body removed, and Edelbrock Performer manifold mounted. I do not see an Edelbrock performer for 91 SBC, who do I ask?

I don't know where you looked but Edelbrock does make a Performer intake that will fit a '91 SBC. You might look on Edelbrock's site or just give them a call

4. THis motor had serpentine belt, all missing. I want to use traditional 75 series alternator, water pump, power steering, Vibration damper. Pros/Cons?

All the older style accessiries should bolt up with no problem. Just be sure to use a non-serpentine water pump.

5. Speedometer appears to be solid state on tranny, how do I connect to my 65?

You'll have to switch the tailshaft housing and probably change the speedo gears. I'm not sure if there are any OEM applications for that or just aftermarket. I can find the aftermarket sites for you if you need

6. Drive shaft options? SHould I use 65, or go buy something else? 2 U-joints or three?

If yopu have the good heavy duty carrier bearing, I would just get the front shaft shortened and call it good.

7. should I place motor in origional location or can I move it forward for more firewall space ( I guess this goes with item 1 above)?

I would just leave it in the stock location. Even if you switch to the newer motor mounts, it will be in pretty much the stock location.

8. What should I use for tranny cooler? I am told I should be water cooled, I have a 57 chevy radiator I like very much, I would rather not change...

You can just use an aftermarket auxillary trans cooler. The trans just won't have the benefit of warming up faster in cold weather from the engine coolant. I have an add on cooler on my Suburban and have had no issues in 120,000 miles.

9. ANy "gotchas" to watch out for?

You may need to run an electric fuel pump unless that block has provisions for a mechanical pump.

SOrry about several questions, just lots to research, not sure what forum to ask. Thanks for any help on any or all questions.

Steve
I can't think of anything else right now.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 06-16-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote