The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2003, 11:36 AM   #1
sam's 72

wireing in alternator what to do with the ????

I know this has been touched on a lot on here. I finally got some time to do some work on my truck! I am installing the new alternator with internal regulator, I understand how to wire it in. My question is what are you guys doing with your old wireing that is comming off the old alternator, I have three wire that plug to the back of it, a blue, red and white wire, I would like to clean all this up, get the old external regulator out, with the old wireing horness. also which one of these wire are going to the dash for the amp meter? Would like to know before I start cutting wire out.
Thanks
Sam
Old 02-11-2003, 02:44 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

If you have the factory amp meter then it gets the pickup off of the main feed at the two small fuses on each side of the radiator.
The amp meter is wired completely separate from the altenator.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
neonlarry

are you putting a factory alt? Or a one wire one? The factory int. regulated one uses the same wires on the back of the alt, you just unplug the regulator and jump the plug terminal together like in the pictures that have been posted.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:19 PM   #4
sam's 72

I am putting on a internal regulated alternator. This is what I have done, I jumped over the plug that goes to the old regulator, ( like the picture shows ) then I ran a new wire from the new connector ( white wire ) to the brown wire, then ran a new wire from the back of new alternator to j block, hooked the red wire from new connector to back of alternator, ( thats two wire hooked to back of new alternator ) the red one from connector comming out of alternator, then new one running to j block. then from j block to battiery. my question is this, I want to get rid of my old wireing horness, it has a red wire, a blue wire and a white wire, what do you do with these wires if you want to cut them loose? Also, the way I have it wired now, when I start up my truck, the amp gauge goes all the way over to the left. Whats up with this?
Sam
Old 02-11-2003, 04:28 PM   #5
neonlarry

well, when I did mine I kept all the wires. The red one goes to the same place as it did one the old alt. The black one is a ground, and I put it on one of the bolts that holds the front and back of the case together. The 2 that are left, you just need to change the plug to the one that fits into the type of alt that you have. I know there are other ways to do it, but that was the only one I could undersatnd, and it works fine. I think you could cut the black wire out because the newer chevys don't have it, but I think the rest needs to stay.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:13 PM   #6
sam's 72

OK guys, I need some help! This is not working out for me. Hell, I might have fried this new alternator I dont know. I really dont know where to go from here. I started out running new wires instead of useing the horness, I got the old regulator and plug removed, and the alternator seems to be chargeing, when I pull the positive side of the cable off the truck keeps running, I have a volt meter, seems to putting out close to 14.3 volts, but when I get in the truck and turn on the lights and ac the amm meter just falls down to the left ( d side ) I mean all the way down, this new alternator I have is a 140 amp alternator. What is going on here? I need my truck for work tomorrow, so help me out guys.
sam