The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
bpmack16

Baer 14" bbk help

So I installed the pro-performance 14" bbk on my 1972 c10 around the beginning of the summer. Let me start by saying all the guys at pro-performance have been great and very helpful. But none of us can figure out the problem I am having.
So here we go.
After installing the kit front and rear it became clear there was a problem. Once the brakes heat up the truck starts to make a notable grinding/ humming noise from the front end. This happens both left turning and right turning. The noise go's away when I pres on the brakes. We have replaced the steering box, controls arms, shocks, springs, ex... The noise is still there. We removed the kit several times to check if there was any uneven ware, no such issue was discovered. We changed brake pads , nope that didn't do it. We removed the inner wheel wels just to confirm, nope. So what could this noise be. As you can see this has been burning a hole in my pocket, pro-performance's pocket and my mechanic's pocket we have way over 3 weeks in trying to figure this out. A call was also made to Baer but no suggestions helped. Let me allso add, we checked drive shaft play and rear end as well all is good. HELP please.
bpmack16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Baer 14" bbk help

Just a couple of idea's off the top.
Did you changes bearings and all when you went to the new spindles for the bigger brakes. How did you tighten them down. Did you back off the nut before you installed the cotter key?
Your wheels are not scrubbing the caliper is it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:16 AM   #3
bpmack16

Re: Baer 14" bbk help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Just a couple of idea's off the top.
Did you changes bearings and all when you went to the new spindles for the bigger brakes. How did you tighten them down. Did you back off the nut before you installed the cotter key?
Your wheels are not scrubbing the caliper is it.
Wheels are not scrubbing I have 20's. The kit comes with new hubs and bearings. The shop didbthe work but I would assume they tightened the hub bolt and backed it off tobout the pin in. Is there a better way or different way?
Old 11-24-2015, 04:32 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmack16 View Post
Wheels are not scrubbing I have 20's. The kit comes with new hubs and bearings. The shop didbthe work but I would assume they tightened the hub bolt and backed it off tobout the pin in. Is there a better way or different way?

That is how I do it. I assume you know the mechanic and he does good work. Didn't cut no corners by putting the old stuff back in the new hubs. old bearing on new surface could cause un even wear and start grinding once it heats up.
Have you tried jack the front up and spinning the wheels and see if you can hear it?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #5
bpmack16

Quote:
That is how I do it. I assume you know the mechanic and he does good work. Didn't cut no corners by putting the old stuff back in the new hubs. old bearing on new surface could cause un even wear and start grinding once it heats up.
Have you tried jack the front up and spinning the wheels and see if you can hear it?
Only hear it once brakes are hot. I trust my guy and no corners were cut. The hubs I. The kit come packed with bearings ex....
Old 11-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmack16 View Post
Only hear it once brakes are hot. I trust my guy and no corners were cut. The hubs I. The kit come packed with bearings ex....

Ok, drive it til you start hearing the noise then get it on stands and see if you can find it.
Did you do anything else to the front end besides the brakes?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
bpmack16

Quote:
Ok, drive it til you start hearing the noise then get it on stands and see if you can find it.
Did you do anything else to the front end besides the brakes?

I did drop spindles at the same time.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
swamp rat

Have the jack in the driveway and go for a ride till it starts making the noise, bring it home or to the shop, jack the thing up and try turning the wheels by hand and see if you notice or hear any dragging to try and isolate what wheel or both front ect..

My first thought was wheel bearings too but if they were properly greased and preloaded then backed off about 1/8 turn then they should be fine.

Maybe a distribution block or master cyl not releasing properly?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Did you take the dust covers off when you replaced the brakes.

For some reason I think I remember somebody posting about the dust covers scrubbing when they did the new spindles and brake upgrades. Don't ask where I herd this because I've been think about it since last night. I can't remember it may have been on face book!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-25-2015, 01:45 AM   #10
bpmack16

Quote:
Did you take the dust covers off when you replaced the brakes.

For some reason I think I remember somebody posting about the dust covers scrubbing when they did the new spindles and brake upgrades. Don't ask where I herd this because I've been think about it since last night. I can't remember it may have been on face book!
The kit required taking the dust covers off. So that is not an issue. Thank you.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #11
buddylee

Any chance exhaust is near brake lines and you're heating up fluid causing brakes to drag. This will cause the noise and will go away when brakes applied
buddylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #12
bpmack16

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddylee View Post
Any chance exhaust is near brake lines and you're heating up fluid causing brakes to drag. This will cause the noise and will go away when brakes applied
Thank you I will check this out. Keep the ideas coming guys this is helping me allot.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #13
67 chevelle

2 things to check
1 rattle clips , are they there
2 does your master have slight play at rest , if the rod has any tension on it at rest , when the brakes get hot they will lock

number 2 has caused me serious grief on more than one vehicle
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #14
bpmack16

We finally got the new kit from az properformance in the truck and the damn noise is still there. So just a recap of what we just did. New brake kit from Baer, new engine and trans mounts, diff fluid change just to roll things out. So like I said any more ideas would be great. O ya the shop said they have over 3 weeks in to looking for this noise and 4k in time. I personally have 8k in all new parts on the frame. So anything that has to do with brakes, suspension or anything attached to the frame is all new. HELP
Old 12-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #15
buddylee

Any luck with finding the problem?
buddylee is offline   Reply With Quote