The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
greedy geezer

Location: Stoughton MA where everyhing on the road gets rusted out from winter and rock salt
simple question maybe ?

I was up on the Highway last night and a couple cars in front had a collision and I had to get on the breaks hard ,I don't tail gate so no problem But today, I popped the hood and notice some dampness on the Brake fluid reservoir so I think the high pressure leaked out a little, Brakes feel good truck is stopping Fine, I was just going to refill the res ,But am wondering if this will be problem later on ? also what kind of Break fluid should I add, 1972 C20 if that is the best thing for Now
thanks
gg
Attached Images

greedy geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
scotts72heavyhalf

Re: simple question maybe ?

Thanks pretty common, remove the cover and check the rubber gasket, if it has rust on it clean it off well and wipe down the surfaces with some light oil, break fulid is highly corrosive on any surface, dont over fill the reserve and use DOT 3 non-synthetic break fluid.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
davepl

I wonder how safe those old hydraulic trailer brake setups were? I assume that's the T tap coming off... hope it goes somewhere solid!

I'd still have someome strong heave on the brakes while you're watching underhood with any existing fluid dried and cleaned. If it's slosh from the reservoir, no problem, but if its a high pressure fitting leak, you'd want that checked.

If you can get it totally clean and dry you can check yourself, I'd imagine.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
greedy geezer

Location: Stoughton MA where everyhing on the road gets rusted out from winter and rock salt

Yes Thanks Guys that is good advise I'm pretty sure its reservoir But will check lines and connections, brakes still feel good I'll do this tomorrow on my day off , at least I stayed out of the ditch the other two were screwed nobody hurt though
gg
Old 12-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #5
EARNHARDT#3

When you nail the brakes (not BREAKS ;-) ) there's basically a fountain of fluid in the reservoir. So if the gasket isn't sealing properly you'll see a little fluid.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
greedy geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
When you nail the brakes (not BREAKS ;-) ) there's basically a fountain of fluid in the reservoir. So if the gasket isn't sealing properly you'll see a little fluid.
Ha Yeah I ain't the best "typer" or speller and spell check doesn't keep things in context
gg
Old 12-13-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
Gimme Jimmy

Adjust your rear brakes. The auto adjusters dont work very well from my experience. You cant stop if your brakes dont work on all four. The rubber gasket under the lid is probably leaking.I would be more concerned if you have a pressure leak.

Last edited by Gimme Jimmy; 12-13-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Gimme Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:37 AM   #8
Alex V.

Brake fluid itself isn't corrosive - it attracts water, and doesn't get flushed at regular intervals, therefore promoting corrosion from water. But on my vehicles, seepage like that isn't something I worry about. The edge of the MC will surface rust under the rubber seal leading to this - wipe all the rust scale off both surfaces and it'll probably go away for a while.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:50 AM   #9
rattle69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V. View Post
Brake fluid itself isn't corrosive - it attracts water, and doesn't get flushed at regular intervals, therefore promoting corrosion from water. But on my vehicles, seepage like that isn't something I worry about. The edge of the MC will surface rust under the rubber seal leading to this - wipe all the rust scale off both surfaces and it'll probably go away for a while.
maybe not corrosive but will kill your paint. Dot 3 and dot 4 brake fluid is hygroscopic and does take in water like you said. This being said its not the water that will make paint bubble and strip off when the fluid gets spilled or leaks on the paint.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

This means you have very good brakes.

On the trailer brake lines, they are like any other part of the system. As long as everything is tight they are safe. I'm in the habit of removing them because they usually aren't working right and just add more unions to leak, as well as the component itself. The modern brake systems are so much nicer to use... but don't look as cool as the old ones

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
greedy geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
This means you have very good brakes.

On the trailer brake lines, they are like any other part of the system. As long as everything is tight they are safe. I'm in the habit of removing them because they usually aren't working right and just add more unions to leak, as well as the component itself. The modern brake systems are so much nicer to use... but don't look as cool as the old ones
I don't know much about system yet, only had the truck a few months, but I do have a Camper out back I use for my Head quarters in the summer, one way I was able to get my Wife on board to buy the truck was planning to take her out out next summer in the camper I will be learning more about this all in the spring
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
greedy geezer

Okay Guys I opened the Reservoir Cleaned up the sealing edges and rubber, only added a very little dot 3 level was about 1/4 inch from rim put it back together, brakes feel good and hard no slip and did not see any more seep I'll keep an Eye On it
Thanks for the advice
Merry Christmas
gg