The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
benbloom

Overheating problem

So i picked up this truck that had been sitting for a couple of years, ( i flushed the radiator multiple times before driving ) but now when i drive around the temperature gauge creeps beyond that second line a couple of centimeters or so and will stay there. its basically running slightly hot it seems, unless the gauge is not accurate. thermostat won't change the high temperature, but maybe it is opening too late? where should i start with this?
ive got a fan shroud and the correct coolant amount and mixture. its an AC cab, but heater and ac have been bypassed. any suggestions would be appreciated!
thanks
ben
benbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
NCBowtie

Re: Overheating problem

The temp sending unit I got from autoparts store read hot. I got one from Lectric Limited and it read correctly.
NCBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Overheating problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbloom View Post
So i picked up this truck that had been sitting for a couple of years, ( i flushed the radiator multiple times before driving ) but now when i drive around the temperature gauge creeps beyond that second line a couple of centimeters or so and will stay there. its basically running slightly hot it seems, unless the gauge is not accurate. thermostat won't change the high temperature, but maybe it is opening too late? where should i start with this?
ive got a fan shroud and the correct coolant amount and mixture. its an AC cab, but heater and ac have been bypassed. any suggestions would be appreciated!
thanks
ben
I would start by buy a temp gun at harbor freight and see if in fact it's running hot. The truck gauge is just that a gauge not the gospel! It could be just reading a little high on the gauge.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #4
Gromit

How do you have the ignition timing set up?
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:25 AM   #5
OlSmokey

i am also having this problem, and andy, what would you point the gun towards? like which part would you read the temp off of?
OlSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:13 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Overheating problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlSmokey View Post
i am also having this problem, and andy, what would you point the gun towards? like which part would you read the temp off of?
Well if the truck is stock the temperature probe is in drivers side head right behind the alternator down buy the first spark plug. Has the one signle wire ran to it.
Shoot the temp gun right there for starter's then shoot the thermas that housing up top and then radiator and compare to see what is going on in the system.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:31 AM   #7
Alex V.

The temp gauge really only helps me by indicating if something's causing the engine to run warmer than it usually does - and "usually does" = where the gauge lays most of the time. In my experience, when the engine is at operating temperature it shouldn't be painful to lay your hand on the upper radiator hose. Leave it for an extended period? Yes. But it shouldn't be so warm that you need to immediately let go to avoid legitimate discomfort.

Ignition timing will certainly make it run hot - make sure you have it advanced far enough.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:17 AM   #8
Mick Je

I have the stock gauge in its original location on the driver's side head, I also run a numbered temp gauge on the manifold closest to the thermostat, most accurate spot because that temp is controlling the thermostat.
Mick Je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:30 AM   #9
Ontcalimo

I once had similar problem in a vintage car, and the problem was the temp sending unit. I had to get an original oem type and this solved the problem.
Ontcalimo is offline   Reply With Quote