The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

I've got my 13 year old boy on track to get a 67-72 of his own

He loves working on my truck together, and going for rides. He's a great kid, but I've had a hard time finding something over the years that we can enjoy together. He's got ADHD, and doesn't like sports or much of anything besides video games. I was pleasantly surprised a couple months ago, when I bought my '69, how much he enjoys it.

We've spent a lot of time together working on it. He's been able to spin a wrench or two, help me paint, clean it up, plan for new parts, and find parts at the junk yard. Unfortunately, many of the junk yards don't allow kids (even with an adult), but I did find one that had one of the missing lower molding pieces we needed, so we bought it and he helped me install it.

Anyway, I told him that whatever he saves up, I will match towards the purchase of a 67-72 Chevy (up to $2,000...which buys a nice one around here. Mine cost less than that) once he turns 16.

In the meantime, I told him I will give him some parts he can keep in his bedroom for his build. I bought some parts in better shape, so I don't need these. I helped him shine the parts up. I told him he can use them towards his build, if he ends up needing them, or he can sell them and get something else he needs for the build. There will be more parts as we go along, and I'm sure he'll find some at the junkyard that he might want to buy.

Anyway, just wanted to share with you. If you've got similar stories, or ideas, lets hear them

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: I've got my 13 year old boy on track to get a 67-72 of his own

My son and I built a 72 Cutlass together. Now he's married and has a son, and he told me he wants to do the same. You build more than a car, you're building memories.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
benny70

Me and my dad are building a 68 stepside right now. Im not ashamed to say that my dad is my best friend. Its the second truck weve done together, the first was a 52 ford f1, and I dont think theres anything better for a father and son to do together. That being said, I do love to go fishing and hunting with the guy, but more often than not id take a night with the old man over a night with old high school friends.
benny70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 AM   #4
72c10projectc

Wish I had a dad to do this with. I gotta learn on my own.
Posted via Mobile Device
72c10projectc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
bk2life
Account Suspended

My brother’s son was the same way. My brother bought a ’60 cadi to work on. long story short, the cadi is almost done, son is just barely starting to drive.
this is “his” car..
Going to be silver, red leather interior, red roof with flake, air ride, mild 454 dual carbs, 700r4, car is beautiful, killer ride, and all his at 17 years old.
Does he want it?
Nope..
It’s an ugly car to him. He now has a Toyota celica.
And I have inherited a pretty nice 1960 cadi..
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
50bomb

If it wasnt for my dad I wouldnt know how to build anything. I got my first vehicle when I was 19yrs old! took me long enough. It was a 64 chevy shortbed complete project and took a year to get running..had that truck for 6 years. We worked on alot of 50's cars that we never finished due to gettin bored of them. Now my dad and I are building up the 67 c10 lwb for the last 2 years and this one is a keeper. I love 60-72 chevy trucks ALOT! AWESOME to hear your son is stepping away from those video games and wrenchin them bolts down.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Lee H

When my son was 15 we got the 72 C10. Freshened up the motor & trans, lowered it, wheels and tires, and a few other things. He was right there turning wrenches the whole time. He drove it through high school and collage. Now it's getting a frame off.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
xman

Me 9 yr old also ADHD and really loves cars too he helped me put lowering springs on OUR 72 burb and do front brakes on the mother in laws toyota rav4 and front brakes on my wifes pontiac torrent he really loves being in the new shop with and I enjoy having him there with maybe some things he can teach me too, like patience. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Me 9 yr old also ADHD and really loves cars too he helped me put lowering springs on OUR 72 burb and do front brakes on the mother in laws toyota rav4 and front brakes on my wifes pontiac torrent he really loves being in the new shop with and I enjoy having him there with maybe some things he can teach me too, like patience. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
Patience is right. Boy, he tests it. Then, when I try to guide him gently, I get "I know, I know, I know." Uh, huh. Yeah, I bet you do lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
SS Tim

Like I said before get a Diggler Alpha Dawg and your son out with the dog. The two of you "might" wear Sig out. A little mechanics and maintance to do keeping everything safe and interesting.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Like I said before get a Diggler Alpha Dawg and your son out with the dog. The two of you "might" wear Sig out. A little mechanics and maintance to do keeping everything safe and interesting.
Great suggestion. I really want one of those.

So, how you been? Haven't heard from you in a while
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
bsteele

Mister-B I am a school teacher and teach Algebra I to 8th graders as a high school credit class. I wish more parents would take time to work with their kids like you are doing. I see so many kids looking for that kind of love. Most just want some kind of time with their dad.
bsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Anyway, I told him that whatever he saves up, I will match towards the purchase of a 67-72 Chevy once he turns 16.
If I were you, I would let him get a truck as soon as he can scrape the money together.

And if he thinks he knows everything, let him learn from the school of hard knocks. It fixed me in a hurry.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteele View Post
Mister-B I am a school teacher and teach Algebra I to 8th graders as a high school credit class. I wish more parents would take time to work with their kids like you are doing. I see so many kids looking for that kind of love. Most just want some kind of time with their dad.
Thank you. That's great to hear. I'll keep it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
If I were you, I would let him get a truck as soon as he can scrape the money together.

And if he thinks he knows everything, let him learn from the school of hard knocks. It fixed me in a hurry.
Good idea. I was actually thinking of that yesterday. Was thinking 15 might be a good age. His mother and I are divorced. My new wife and I get him weekends and trade off holidays. We also live in an apartment. So, things are a bit more complicated, but doable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
kevmic28

My son is 12. We have been working on my 70 for the last 3 years. It wil be his when he hits 16.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
firedog

Name:  IMG_0081a.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  trkpics%20007a.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  trkpics%20005a.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  79.8 KB
My grandfather (82), my dad (58), and my self(37), have all enjoyed building and working on our trucks together.
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #18
CC69Rat

Cool story. My Pop and I have been working on them together for years and we still do. There's a reason for my signature... below.

I wouldn't know anything about cars / trucks if it wasn't for my dad. HUGE props to you for even wanting to spend time with him and teach him. I promise you, he'll look back on this time and know what he means to you. I know I do, Every day of my life.

You mentioned collecting parts.. what all do you need? Make us a list and we'll help you out. We only have about 2.5 more years to get this thing running!

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

When I was 7 I put my first SB 350 together (with his help). He put it in a 79 Burb that we drove until I was 18. It was ugly but when it went away the motor was still running strong, the body was just dying... (Something to do with a collision involving a school bus)... LOL

Needless to say I took mechanicing to a whole new level and now my father comes to me when his vehicles are acting up or he needs help doing something. I love working on anything with my father and now we own a business working on campers together.

My son is 4 years old and when he gets a little older I hope that we can do the same. Still to this day, everytime I do something to Project Heaven, my father asks me to send him pics or wants to come look at it. And if he has time he helps me turn wrenches on it (BTW, I am now 31 years old)
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
xman

My wife and I spoke to our son last night and if he keeps up the good grades and helps mom (my wife has MS so mobility is not good walks with a cane) out around the house and saves some money we are going to start looking for a 67-72 project truck to start working on for even though he is only 9 I think it will give US time to work on it together slowly and take our time and enjoy it all. I too have some spare parts laying around that will add to his collection when we find the right project truck to get started on
Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #21
KyleCim

Glad to see this stuff still happening, I swear car guys forge some of the best father son relationships.

I will be 27 this week, married and my Father is and always will be my best friend. He was my best man at my wedding, he is down for whatever stupid idea I have. He traded a VERY nice 70 340 Duster for a 90 Mustang 5.0 when I was 13 so we could put together the car I wanted for my first car. Since then it has been drag racing, maintaining his fleet, my fleet and overall just being happy to spend the time with him. I won't go racing without him, he wont go to cruise nights or shows without me.I tried to pay him back last year when he was on the lookout for a little yard truck. I had a very clean 90 Toyota Supra Targa Turbo that I decided to sell and we went and picked up a 69 C/10 short bed step and thats what we are working on now. We both love the truck drove it for a year now its getting bagged, 5 lugged and put on 20's.

I hope some day I am half the man and 1/2 as good of a father to a son or daughter as My Dad is to me. It really is the best to be able to call your Father your best friend, best man. Wedding speech had over 250 people crying including myself balling my eyes out. Kudos to you guys taking the extra step with your kids in this collapsing world we live in.
KyleCim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #22
xman

my son and I even started building models with eachother just recently and he ejoys that alot too so I know he will really enjoy working on his own project
I hink when we told him this all last night he just about started to cry he turned so red he was so excited about the idea he wanted to go on craigslist right away and start looking even though he is nine and I told him we have some time to look he did not want to waste any of that so (with my help) he started looking
OH BOY I think I created a 67-72 little monster LOL
I still remember when we purchased my wifes 72 cheyenne lwb and drove it home he was the first to ride in it all the way home (about 45 minutes) and him smiling ear to ear
I think he might have found a truck already he found a 67 small window shortbed that is really really rusty but the price is only $500 I think with us hitting it together and with the help of everyone here on this awesome sight we can have it done in no time at all
Old 12-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #23
Skruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteele View Post
That is very true. Dads are supposed to show you how to be a man.
Skruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Cool story. My Pop and I have been working on them together for years and we still do. There's a reason for my signature... below.

I wouldn't know anything about cars / trucks if it wasn't for my dad. HUGE props to you for even wanting to spend time with him and teach him. I promise you, he'll look back on this time and know what he means to you. I know I do, Every day of my life.

You mentioned collecting parts.. what all do you need? Make us a list and we'll help you out. We only have about 2.5 more years to get this thing running!
Thanks so much of the kind words.

Thanks also for the offer for parts. I don't know what he needs yet. These are just extra parts I had, so I wanted him to have them and keep motivated. I can only imagine how excited I would have been at his age to have parts like that in my room.

I'll let ya know as we progress. Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
SS Tim

The thought occurs to me that a paper assembly manual would be a great introduction on how a lot of parts are put together. By not having an index just numbering the pages and crossing over with the index project (printed out) would give him an opportunity to learn and explore while flagging (post-it tabs)interesting options he might have desires or questions about. If I had an extra paper copy it would already be boxed up for mailing but I don't.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote