The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
As2rd

Another Starter Issue

I just can't seem to find an end to all of my trucks issues. I had a warranty on my trucks starter that i just replaced. It tested good at the store. I installed it yesterday, but had to call quits because i was getting snowed on heavily. Got the rest of the wiring done today an fired her up with no problems. I pulled out of the parking lot to bring it home for tranny work. All of the sudden hell broke loose under the hood. The engine stalled in the middle of the intersection. I turned the key, and nothing. Not even a click. I climbed out and opened the hood. I here something frying like bacon, turns out my negative cable connecter on the battery melted. 15 mins later my dad showed up with his truck and hooked his straps up and pulled my truck back into the parking lot.

Any clue as to what i did wrong? Switched the two smaller wires around? I think I have a short, havent had the tools with me to find out. Another thing is when my dad tried to jump me when i replaced the terminal, his battery died and he couldnt get his to start.
As2rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
As2rd

Re: Another Starter Issue

Another thing i should of added is that I have HEI set up. I know there is an "S" for start and "R" forgot what it meant, relay maybe? But which one hooks to the distributor? Half my wires are made up, so dont go by color please.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

The only thing that hooks to the distributor is your 12V power. (or a tach if you have one) I think the wires that you're talking about are for a points setup. I'm not sure exactly what you've done, but it doesn't sound good.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
cdowns

the purple wire from the neutral safety switch goes to the s terminal the yellow wires should have been deleted when the hei was installed and also the other original wire to the distributor should have been deleted and a new wire run to the hei
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
As2rd

Well i didnt do the HEI swap, it was the previous owner, and their wiring was bad on the truck in the first place. I actually built half of the wiring harness. On the outside terminal there is a yellow wire connected. Ill try to disconnect it and see if that helps. There was another wire that was cut and is now dangling back there. looks like the wire that junctions with the original yellow. Ill bring my test light today and check it out in a few minutes when I get to my truck.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 AM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Sounds like you have a large short some where in the primary circuit. Did a battery cable get against the exhaust pipe or header and burn the insulation off? You may have burned out a fusible link. This will cause the no power problems you're having.
A visible inspection should show where the short is and you need to correct this first or it will just repeat what happened. The s terminal is for the starter solenoid and and is purple as was said by cdowns. The R terminal is for a straight shot of 12 volts to the points ignition coil and would be connected to the + side of the coil. It is not needed for the HEI as was stated. The resister wire from the key to the coil is for normal running and steps down the voltage to the Points ignition coil. Not needed for the HEI dizzy. It is a orange/purple or white wire in the stock harness. You can cut it out of the harness or just tape the end off where it connects to the coil. HTH

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 01-23-2008 at 01:01 AM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
As2rd

Thanks you guys help a lot. Im about to head out to the truck now and see if this works. Kinda made me think that i had my starter set up wrong for a whole year and that is why my starter would go to crap after my rebuild.