The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
68Stepbed

Who knows brakes?

I recently just installed some new Hawk HPS brake pads in my stock calipers up front. The Hawk pads are very aggressive and stop great. They are a bit noisy when they get warmed up, and they're very dusty, but that's another gripe for later.

Anyway, on to my main question. I took the truck on a joy ride on US129 on Easter Sunday. After a day of driving and mostly mild braking, there was quite a bit of brake dust on my front wheels, but there seemed to be much less on the passenger side as on the right. Also, the right side seemed to squeal much more under light braking and going into steep left hand turns. Is this an indication of the passenger side caliper not having enough clamping pressure?

You can see the differences in the photos below.
Attached Images

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Who knows brakes?

Check the caliper slides and make sure its free to move on both sides. A lot less dust could be an indication. Honestly if those brake pads are that noisy and kick off that much dust throw them in the trash and get something better. Any quality brake pad will stop well. Changing pads alone on these trucks isn't going to make it stop much better unless your moving from a complete garbage pad. Calipers are really cheap and if you don't know the last time they were replaced than its probably time. New hoses are also a good idea. The best way to figure out a braking issue like what your seeing is to drive the truck around and then check the temperature at each wheel. If one is a lot hotter than the other its likely that the caliper is sticking on that side. I would lean more towards your driver side caliper is sticking or the brake hose is bad causing that side to overheat and wear the pads quickly creating the massive amount of dust. If you find one caliper is sticking replace BOTH sides. Brake parts should always be replaced in pairs to ensure that both sides are working equally.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Did you put new rotors on at the same time? Did you follow Hawks bedding recommendations?

Last time something like that happend to me, it was because I didn't grease the slide pins and it seized. I whacked it with a 5lb hammer to free it up. hit it with a pile of lithium grease, good as new.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
68Stepbed

These are quality pads. They're noisy and dusty because they're basically a race pad that's still good to run on the street. I knew this before purchasing them. I plan to do more autocrossing, which is why I got these. I had good quality pads before that stopped fine for street use, but they faded quick when they got too warm. These pads will bring it to a halt in a hurry! 60-0 is only a couple seconds. The rotors are still stock, with a fresh turning. The calipers were replaced back in 01 when I did the conversion. I installed new hoses in 06 when I repainted because I installed all new brake lines at the same time. They are stock style rubber, so a braided stainless upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since I plan to autocross more. I plan to update the braking system in another year or so anyway(bigger Willwoods). I'll look into EBC or WillWood pads next time, though.

I really don't think the driver's side is sticking, but it does seem as if the passenger side just isn't grabbing as well. Most of the squealing was from the passenger side and especially when going into curves while not braking at all. Almost as if it was just barley touching the rotor.

I'll check the slide pins and make sure they're lubed.

Here's what I have, and yes I bedded them correctly.
http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...t/pads/hp-plus

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Keith Seymore

If the truck is stopping evenly (not pulling to one side or the other), and you are happy with the deceleration rate, then I wouldn't worry about the braking performance.

Squeals and noises may just be part of the package with the compound/formula they chose. Did they come with any type of insulator on the backing plate?

You could try adding a slight bevel to the leading and trailing edge of the pad if they don't already have one. Most auto stores also sell an adhesive in a tube to help with brake squeal. You could try that as well.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote