The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
ZEPPELIN

'68 GMC - New guy with questions

I picked up this sweet '68 GMC about 10 days ago. It's currently my daily driver, and I'm loving the attention it gets! It has a TBI 350 out of a '91 with a TH400 trans. I believe the rear end is out of the same vehicle the engine came from, but I'm not sure how to identify it. Everything on the truck works and it runs strong. The only issue I've had so far is this: when the engine is cold, it'll start up on the 3rd or 4th crank every time and run great. Once it's warm, though, whether it's been driven 1 mile or 100, when I try to restart it, it takes about 10-15 seconds of cranking before it fires. Then the first few times I push the gas after the restart, it coughs and sputters a bit before taking off. After that it's fine. It always has a fairly rich exhaust smell, too. It does run well, and it still starts every time, so I'm hesitant to screw with it, but where would you guys start if you wanted to fix these problems? Thanks
Attached Images

ZEPPELIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Hawghauler

Re: '68 GMC - New guy with questions

If it's a throttle body injection, your air come into the throttle body through a valve. Some call this an air induction motor, or air intake system. It is a small motor with a extending shaft with a mushroom like tip. The tip seats into a matching hole in the throttle body. Be gentle with this motor as it is easily broken. You might want to clean this area out. It can build up pretty bad and eventually stall you on the side of the road. This is common maintenance on our fleet of 15 gmc vans.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
hamjet

Re: '68 GMC - New guy with questions

Welcome, very sharp truck!!!