The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Orange '71 GMC

Are used factory air systems still desirable?

Or is everyone building them from scratch with new aftermarket parts?
The reason I ask, I had an old parts truck (1969 GMC Custom) that I robbed the Factory A/C off of, and I was gonna sale it seperate (since I am not using it).

I didn't know if the facotry air stuff was anything to get excited over, or if everyone is just going with aftermarket kits and such.

As far as the original factory stuff, I have the factory condensor, duct air selector (big box inside under glove box), the plastic duct that runs from there to the metal floor box, the metal floor box, the control assembly with the cables, the outside box (firewall mount) with all the stuff that goes on it, and the metal part that attaches to the compressor. I THINK I also have the wiring harness. And I do have all but the front compressor mounting brackets, OE, passenger side mount.

Then for the rest of the parts that I got to go with it, I have a new heater core, new compressor, new drier/accumulator and mounting straps, and two sets of the side vents (inside cab on front of dash, the round chrome balls).

There may be some other little parts that I have for it, but that's all I could think of. It is a complete set with the exception of the duct work and center vents AFAIK. Most of it is in good shape - and I know it is totally functional. I put this in my truck for a short while - and even charged it with R-12, but the R-12 leaked out due to a pinched O-Ring when installing the part on the back of the compressor...so I then converted it to R-134a and ran it for a while. The truck is changing directions now though, so I don't need it anymore (and this is my last 67-72 project for A WHILE). It worked good though while installed. I know that the little plastic duct that goes inside between the two boxes (shaped like a large S) could be replaced, but that's a $10 part. I think everything else is pretty good though.

Just trying to get some feedback here...I gonna try to sell it I guess - what kind of interest is there in something like this and what kind of price am I looking at? Thanks in advance for your help guys.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
drink2mny

No their really is no one out there buying this stuff up.
If you need to get rid of it I have a couple bucks and could take it all off your hands

Not sure of a going price. But I know I got good money just for a used condensor.

Those are all sought after items.
Good luck

TTT
Old 09-15-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
Orange '71 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drink2mny
No their really is no one out there buying this stuff up.
If you need to get rid of it I have a couple bucks and could take it all off your hands
$5 sound good?
Quote:
Not sure of a going price. But I know I got good money just for a used condensor.

Those are all sought after items.
Good luck

TTT
Thanks for your help! The condensor is in pretty good shape It has some mashed down fins, but nothing major from what I can remember.
Orange '71 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
tkeduk8r

sent you a pm...
68 Buick Skylark Custom Conv., 350/TH400/2.56 In our family since '79
69 GMC 1500 SWB 2WD, 350/TH350/3.73 posi...
70 K10 SWB 4X4 4-sp,ps, pb, tilt, buckets, console, sliding back window (Need AC parts) WIP
72 Chevy K20 4x4 350/350/205/4.56 donor
72 Vette 350/M21/3.70 posi, triple black and super fast
84 Olds Cutlass Brougham 350/2004r/4.11 was Dad's
tkeduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:04 PM   #5
GMC Jim

Personally, I feel that installing the original factory air conditioning parts is the way to go....One can save bunches of money compared to aftermarket units and besides the installation will be stock....Also, there are many GM autos of the 68-72 vintage that use the same parts as our trucks.... When I bought my truck ( about 12 years ago) the compressor, condensor were missing. The condensor inlet/outlet had been sawed off. I replaced all the above mentioned missing parts from a 1971 Pontiac Catalina Station wagon, including the hoses. Purchased a new receiver/dryer and installed along with the hoses from the Pontiac. My system has been working fine since installation... The condensor and compressor were of larger size than the stock GM unit. No problem fitting the units and the larger capacity condensor contributed to the effeciency of the system; I believe. If you decide to use previosly installed parts , I definetly feel that the unit should be obtained from a vehicle that has the parts, hoses intact, as this will ensure that no foreign material has entered any part of the system.. Also you might want to check with an air condioning facility as to cost of the evacuation and re-charge with Freon 12.. .. At the time I did mine, Freon was only about a $1.25 a can ( took 4 cans as I recall!)...
Old 09-15-2004, 05:46 PM   #6
flip66

pm sent
flip66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #7
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

I second GMC Jim's opinion. I had some stuff missing from my A/C system when I purchased the truck. I ended up installing an Old Air unit and wish I had just done what was necessary to make the original work properly. The best part about the original is that the evaporator is larger than the aftermarket units and you maintain your original control functions. Conversion to R-134A isn't that bad either. The POA needs adjusted but any mechanic can handle that task with the information that is available, the drier/receiver should be changed, oil changed to work well with R-134A. If your going the R-12 route then take the certification test so you can purchase it yourself legally. R-12 is still pricey but a bunch less than a shop will charge you.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:16 PM   #8
Orange '71 GMC

Thanks for your input GMC Jim and ddsmith.
I totally understand why the factory system would be desired. It was always nice to say, "I have factory air." (Even though it wasn't facotry on THAT truck).

What kind of price should I ask for this stuff? What is fair to me and to anyone who would be willing to buy it?
Orange '71 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:32 PM   #9
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

How bad do you want it gone? I've sent trucks to the junkyard and got nothing from them because I wanted them out of my driveway. I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred on a system complete if I had confidence in it's condition. The drier/receiver should be replaced whenever the system has been open for any length of time. If you don't care how fast it's gone then start high and lower your price as you start getting feed up seeing it.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:26 AM   #10
mrein3

I paid $100 for everything AC related that was on a truck. I got everything but the compressor and brackets for the engine. If you are doing this swap take the old receiver/dryer even though you are going to replace it. I'd rather mock up a throw-away item then mess around with a new one and exposing it to the atmosphere. I ended up paying another $100 for a full set of brackets. The compressor is off a '71 Monte I junked a while back. If I ever get my engine back from my soon to be former machine shop I'm going to finish the installation with a new receiver/dryer and R-134A. I already made the adjustments to the factory POA.

Obviously I think you should go with original and somebody would want to buy your AC stuff. I'll have $300 or less into mine when I'm done. Remember too that a truck cab is quite a bit smaller than a car's passenger compartment. R-134A should do just fine cooling it down. Save your R12 for your cars.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:53 PM   #11
Swbman

I wouldnt use anything else but the factory air conditioning stuff myself, personally I like the original look its timeless and never goes out of style, I ve gotten to the point where I would have to consider long and hard before purchasing a truck or cab if it isnt air conditioning equipped.especially if the the outer housing isnt cracked or broken the plastic and fiberglass on these things are always bad,so if yours are in great shape you shouldnt have any problem finding a buyer..Just my 2 cents..