The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2004, 12:37 AM   #1
Peregrine

long bed vs. short bed

Since joining this board I've not seen many people express a love of the long bed. I see people converting LBs to SBs all the time and I just don't understand why. I know it's all up to personal preference and that's ok, I was just wondering. I love my long bed. Yeah, as soon as I pull into a parking lot I've scanned the lot and picked out the place that takes the least amount of work to get to, but now I walk the 800 feet to Blockbusrtt from Wal-Mart. It's in the same shopping center anywho. I'm young and I guess I just adapted to it. My dad hates his long bed now cause it's too big to. I just think the LB looks cooler and is better for drag racing (if you were into that kind of thing ) And I know if someone hits me in the bed I'm screwed when it comes to parts. But that's ok. Just wondering what your guys opinions are on it.

Let the world change you and you will change the world.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:54 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Persoanlly, I don't care for the 127" Wb...too common. The 115" looks sharp....muscular, looks mean.
However, i also love the longer ones....the Longhorn (133" WB) is cooler than any of them...personal preference...like you said.

However, the long step...or one ton step, they just look funny. I like them...but I think it is mostly freak value as to why I like them.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:59 AM   #3
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I also love long beds. I think they look just as good as short beds. Plus, a short bed truck usually cars a $1000+ premium on the price. Also, you have a foot and a half more cargo room for hauling stuff. I'm defenitly keeping my truck a longbed.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:03 AM   #4
68CST327

I sometimes think the short beds look a little too short on these trucks. Plus, a truck is supposed to be a truck. At least in my opinion. Not that I haul a lot of stuff, but being able to fit a 4"x8" sheet of plywood in the back comes in handy. I like 3/4 tons better than the 1/2 tons for the same reasons. They're bigger/taller, can carry more, just seem more burly to me. Everyone can make a 1/2 ton go fast. I like it a lot more when people make a LWB or 3/4 go fast.

Related to what I'm talking about: I've always loved the way Dion's truck looks, as well as departed board member Mike P. (departed from the board, not from life!). Also the guy with the blue C20 with blown 383 in it (sorry, I don't remember your name!).
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:07 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

plywood is easy....drop the tail gate.
How often do you haul something more than 6 1/2 feet long? (For some reason, i just KNOW this responce will lead to 5000 billion ppl telling me about the 8 foot what ever they hauled home last week)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:12 AM   #6
Peregrine

about the 1000 dollar premium, the guy who I got my truck from said he'd had dozens of calls where the callers first question was "Is it a shortbed?", found out it wasn't and dropped the conversation right there. I'm kind of offended......

Old 12-06-2004, 01:12 AM   #7
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

Talking

I love being able to haul stuff with the tailgate closed. Long beds rule!!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:17 AM   #8
garold99

When I first got mine I thought the short beds looked cooler. But since I've grown to like the long beds better. Mines a long bed.
garold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:19 AM   #9
mblackburnjr
collector of vintage rust

Nah,size dont really matter. I used to haul a 100 foot tape measure in my luv truck all the time!...lol
mblackburnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:21 AM   #10
69ChevyLB

I too like the looks of the long fleets. Can make the difference between 1 and 2 trips if you are hauling a bunch of stuff. Back in the days a lot of farmers bought the short steps because they were cheaper than the long beds.

It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a psycho all your life.
69ChevyLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:25 AM   #11
Castiron9
72 LONGHORN OWNER

LONGHORN................Baby.................
Attached Images

70-C/30 DUALLY
Castiron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:28 AM   #12
Peregrine

Please tell me you didn't take that on the highway... :P

Old 12-06-2004, 01:47 AM   #13
moodybo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOMY
It's a preference thing. My preference is 4x4, long; 2WD, short. We have 2 of each around here, not counting complete parts trucks, & enough excellent parts to build at least 1 more of each.

Thats it Zoomy! Just get one of each case settled!
moodybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:49 AM   #14
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

LWB (long wide bed right ) all the way baby. i just see everyone wanting a lowered SWB so LWB was the way i had to go. i dont care if i have to haul anything, thats not the reason i like it. it just looks better to me. now i would love to see a longhorn on 20's and bagged

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:58 AM   #15
sactoC10
71 DELUX

longer

Here you go... I LOVE MY LONGBED. Until I had it, I was definitely one to "go with the flow" and prefer the shortbed. But the more I look at it, the more I love it. The ONLY thing that bothers me about it is that it dwarfs my 295/50/15's which are nice fat meats tha fit nicely back there, just can't really show them off all too well.

The DUB CITY 1:64 trucks are longbeds, so someone out there knows that they have a following!
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:58 AM   #16
Castiron9
72 LONGHORN OWNER

My middle name is Jed................. I just can't make up mind as to which one I like better
Attached Images

70-C/30 DUALLY
Castiron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:09 AM   #17
ACES
Life is a gamble

I've owned a 69 short stepside and I currently own a Longbed fleetside. I like 'em all. I've gone back and forth about which is best. My current feeling (which will probably change in the next 15 minutes) is that a longbed is usually cheaper and I use my truck for hauling stuff a lot. It only made sense for me to get the longbed. They're all Cool though.

The torpid artist seeks inspiration at any cost, by virtue or by vice, by friend or by fiend, by prayer or by wine.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ACES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:32 AM   #18
68CST327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Please tell me you didn't take that on the highway... :P
I had to haul a complete set of living room furniture like that, minus the trailer. I had a loveseat, a three person couch, a chair, an ottoman, and all the cushions in the bed. I had to put the long couch standing up on it's end, right behind the cab, so that everything would fit.

Man, the wind resistance of all that going down the freeway was kind of scary. I was trying to make it back in a decent amount of time, but I couldn't go that fast.
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:38 AM   #19
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I like the longbeds better,they look better porportion wise,plus I can have my toolbox in the back and still have a shortbox payload

Can't make it without the toolbox,glovebox ain't big enough for my fishin pole

I'd love to have a longhorn,but I haven't seen any around here,but I do have a hammered bed for one that I have no idea how I got it,but there must have been at least one at one time

As far as parking the LWB is pretty nimble compared to a 75 LWB 1 ton 4x4
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:24 AM   #20
GMC Jim

and the long beds ride better!!! if you are into camping; a camper for a long bed is the way to go....and I do a fair amount of hauling ( more cu.ft in a long bed ) after all originally pickup trucks were made for hauling!!! A few years ago; one had to have at least 4 rifles displayed on a gun rack visible thru the rear window. LOL !!... The macho thing now is to pull a covered horse trailer behind the pickup ( trailer all shiny and no horse sh!t on the rear of trailer) !....Not sure if these showoffs even own a horse.....To each his own, I suppose !!!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:12 AM   #21
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

the other day I saw Lefty's twin sister with a goose-neck horse trailer. OMG! how does he stop with non-power-assist 4 wheel drum brakes?!
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:14 AM   #22
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

I like em both, but what I always wanted was a SWB 2wd. My 68 was a LWB, and I liked the way it looked. But after getting hit, I though that was the chance to have the truck I have always invisioned. A 2wd SWB, slightly lowered, shaved this and that, some custom stuff here and there, and have something different. Now, that's not to say I don't like or want another LWB. My 70 K10 is a LWB, and the 67 GMC 2wd (next project) is a LWB. They will both remain LWB's.

I won't use the 68 for work or to haul anything, period. So cargo space has no meaning to that truck. It is just a toy, nothing more.

But, if I had to drive one everyday (67-72), I would definately be a LWB. My 03' is a SWB extended cab. The ext-cab LWB's are just too long for me, and especially for the better half

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:23 AM   #23
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I bought my '67 swb stepside when I was 15. My dad soon after bought a nice 68 lwb fleetside. I loved my dad's truck as much as mine. I used to beg him to trade me every once in a while and I got a lot of looks when I rolled up in the ole high school parking lot in that Maui Blue Chevy!!! Having driven both trucks I think the longbeds handle a little nicer than the shortbeds....but I do have to say that the longbed stepsides are kinda ugly and awkward looking.... just my opinion!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:05 AM   #24
SLS
Finish the'71..or bust!

"about the 1000 dollar premium, the guy who I got my truck from said he'd had dozens of calls where the callers first question was "Is it a shortbed?", found out it wasn't and dropped the conversation right there. I'm kind of offended......"

I must have been one of those offending callers...LOL!

I spent the better part of 2 years looking for the 'right' SWB project after I decided to take 'the plunge'. Probably looked at over 100 trucks (a VAST majority of them were LWB trucks) over that 2 year period...so I'm guessing that the SWB's may be a bit harder to find??? I could only find a handful of the SWB's around here...and I drove to KY and AL looking for them too. The few I did find were either total wrecks....or BIG $$$ restified/restored units.

I finally found a SWB 'Custom Deluxe' that had a 350 with a 350 TH, tinted glass, power steering, power brakes, and AC (well, most of the AC anyway)...and it was/is a total mess. It needs practically everything repaired or replaced. Even went to Virginia to get another complete bed for it....and still have a LONG way to go to make her right.

Count me in as one of those 'offensive' SWB lovers. I just HAD to have a SWB!...and I wish I had a 100 more....

PS: I have a 12' trailer to haul the 'longer stuff'......heh heh heh

SLS has attached this image:

SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:08 AM   #25
GreyHoundSteve

Im a SHORT BED MAN and dont care for the long beds at all. Ive seen one or two here all done up that look ok but everythime i see a decked out long bed my first though is .... wow that truck would kick ass if it were a short bed.

In case no one has noticed truck beds arent getting any longer. In fact if you look at the new hot rod trucks the bed is tiny and getting smaller every body style change.

If i were looking for an old beater work/farm truck then i would look for a long bed but if i was looking to drop some $ into a truck i wouldnt waste my money on dressing up a long bed.

Its like the old expresion goes ..... you can dress a pig in a prom dress but its still a pig.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote