The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
DESTRO

dana 44 spider gear replacement help

Can someone walk me thru the process of replacing these? Does it require the ring and pinion to be removed.Is it something the average backyard mechanic can do??

It's in a 77 dana 44 K10.
DESTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: dana 44 spider gear replacement help

It can be fairly easy thing to change. In most cases the ring does not need to be removed. It is as easy as removing the cover, the cross-bolt, and the center pin. Then spin the spiders toward the open area of the carrier. Remove the spiders, catching the washers that are under them. Then the side gears will come out.
If the gear ratio is low enough, the ring gear does block the center pin. Then you are getting into a lot more work. You will have to remove the cover to be able to tell though.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
DESTRO

Thanks for the reply. So it's looking like it aint that big of deal.Never did any inside diff work so I'm alittle nervous. The gear ratio is 3.73's,do you think I'd have any trouble with that center pin? What exactly is the cross bolt?
I want to try this myself to save some cash but like I said, I'm alittle nevous.
One last question,Do the axles need pulled out to do this??
Thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The cross bolt holds the center-pin in place. I think that the center-pin will come out on the 3.73 with out having to take it completely apart.

I am curious as to why you think you need to change them though? W/o seeing them, how would you know they need to be replaced. "Generally" they will last a very long time unless they are "damaged" from abuse. I have never seen any that were "worn-out" with out other issues at the same time.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
DESTRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
The cross bolt holds the center-pin in place. I think that the center-pin will come out on the 3.73 with out having to take it completely apart.

I am curious as to why you think you need to change them though? W/o seeing them, how would you know they need to be replaced. "Generally" they will last a very long time unless they are "damaged" from abuse. I have never seen any that were "worn-out" with out other issues at the same time.
I was in there not long ago replacing the cover seal from my ball joint job. They looked worn and was alittle loose.Plus when the guy that changed my gears for me said that they would be in my future.
When I went on my shakedown cruise from all my summer projects,I'm getting a loud clicking noise from the front end under acceleration. Only going straight.So it probably isnt them but I wanted to school myself cuz I know down the road I will need to know how to do it.
I think since my leaf spring bushings are worn,there binding the driveshaft under load. Does that sound right?? The truck has new ball joints,axle joints, driveshafts,and motor mounts. Leaf spring bushings are really the only thing left.
You've been a big help so far thank-you Longhair