The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
armyavncowgirl
C10 Junkie

opinions on wood beds?

i'm getting ready to replace the wood in the bed of my truck. its pretty much gone so i ordered oak to replace it. my question for you guys is what kind of treatments would you recommend to better protect the new wood? i was wondering if any of you have ever seen wood beds laquered? curious what kind of coating is recommended and if laquer has been seen? if anyone has pictures of decent bed rebuilds, i'd like to check them out to get a better idea what works best. thanks in advance
Attached Images

armyavncowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
shortymac83
hmm...

if that's gone, you should see mine. NOTHING left. Anyway, I've seen a lot of them varnished, but what you have to do is varnish the wood, THEN put it in with the bedstrips, so you completely cover the board with the varnish.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:00 PM   #3
armyavncowgirl
C10 Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortymac83
if that's gone, you should see mine. NOTHING left. Anyway, I've seen a lot of them varnished, but what you have to do is varnish the wood, THEN put it in with the bedstrips, so you completely cover the board with the varnish.
yeah that was my plan. i was going to treat it a couple of times lol before i install it. i am trying to dig up pictures of finished beds that have lacquer but can't seem to find any-----thought it was a good idea-----perhaps no one has been able to get it to work yet, unless someone here has come across it.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:16 PM   #4
cochran63

on my truck I used some stuff made by valspar. It is made for use on wooden boats and is garateed for 50 years. It has been about 3 years and the bed still looks as good as the day I put it in.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Rhino or Line-x. Guaranteed not to rot out again

Seriously use a marine laquer like Valspar, They are made for water-repelling and durability.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
armyavncowgirl
C10 Junkie

Quote:
on my truck I used some stuff made by valspar. It is made for use on wooden boats and is garateed for 50 years. It has been about 3 years and the bed still looks as good as the day I put it in.
happen to have any pictures of the bed? i'll like to check it out. thanks for the tips everyone! i'll look into that. most likely will have to order it online since i'm not near any major bodies of water lol but my dad could probably get it up in michigan for me. thanks alot!

Last edited by armyavncowgirl; 05-05-2005 at 09:28 PM. Reason: forgot to quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:35 PM   #7
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Valspar is a major player in automotive paints as well. You could probably get it from your local paint supplier.

Good luck..............
Old 05-05-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
armyavncowgirl
C10 Junkie

thanks a bunch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin_c10
Valspar is a major player in automotive paints as well. You could probably get it from your local paint supplier.

Good luck..............
Old 05-05-2005, 09:49 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

make sure the varnish is UV safe, otherwise, it'll look like crap within a year. look into the boating industry, they should be able to give you some good long lasting ideas.

How long you been at Ft Hood? I just left there a few years ago. In case you don't know, there is an awsome junk yard about 30 miles from you....less if you are on west ft hood (being aviation...I figure you may well be west) I think it is called Harrolds...I can't remember the name of the town thoguh... I'll have to look it up. Out past cove and hang a left and go another 18 miles or so. Last time I was there, he had over a dozen 67 - 72 trucks out there. If you are interested, (and I highly recomend you check it out) I'll look it up on a map and let you know.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #10
armyavncowgirl
C10 Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
How long you been at Ft Hood? I just left there a few years ago. In case you don't know, there is an awsome junk yard about 30 miles from you....less if you are on west ft hood (being aviation...I figure you may well be west) I think it is called Harrolds...I can't remember the name of the town thoguh... I'll have to look it up. Out past cove and hang a left and go another 18 miles or so. Last time I was there, he had over a dozen 67 - 72 trucks out there. If you are interested, (and I highly recomend you check it out) I'll look it up on a map and let you know.
I've been here since Aug '02 and I'm over by W.S. Young. I'll definetely have to look into the place your talking about. I'll ask around and see if any of my buddies know where its at. I got a pilot whose redoing a 64 so I'm sure he knows. I've only found one place here in town that has half decent parts---mostly just getting the power steering stuff. But I'll definetely look into that place since he's got lots of my style truck. When I was at Ft. Campbell there was this one junkyard I used to frequent when I had my 70 C10. I'm so mad I got rid of it! It was nice, but needed lots and lots of work---couldn't PCS with it
Old 05-05-2005, 10:03 PM   #11
ChevyDude

Quote:
Rhino or Line-x. Guaranteed not to rot out again
Also gauranteed to look like crap as compared to a fine wood finished bed!!!

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:19 PM   #12
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDude
Also gauranteed to look like crap as compared to a fine wood finished bed!!!

I agree, this meant I was being facetious.

Last edited by screamin_c102; 05-05-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:20 PM   #13
armyavncowgirl
C10 Junkie

Quote:
I agree, this meant I was being fecicous.
hehehe
Old 05-05-2005, 10:33 PM   #14
Longhorn Man

Take 190 through Cove, about 4 or 5 miles west, you come to a curve in the road, with a road on the left...Mid Tex junk yard is right there. Hang a left and follow that road. After what seems like forever (15 miles or so) you'll come up to a BFE town. They were bragging that they had just gotten a post office in '97 or so. Hang a left at the first stop sign. If you hit a state rout highway (no idea of the number) then you've gone too far. That road will curve to the right, and an highway will be right there. (same one as I must mentioned possably...never looked into it) There will be a small road....just a little bigger than one lane, on the left. Go down that road, and if you miss the yard (1/2 mile on the right) then you shouldn't be driving...the yard is FRIGGEN HUGE! The trucks are way in the back off to the right. It's about a 1/2 mile walk...maybe more.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:33 PM   #15
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

At one time I had to throw scrap wood into the back of my truck to feed the starving termites.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:42 PM   #16
armyavncowgirl
C10 Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy70C-10
At one time I had to throw scrap wood into the back of my truck to feed the starving termites.
i'm almost to that point. i'm afraid to put anything in the bed, would hate to lose all the sweet parts i score somewhere on the highway!
Old 05-05-2005, 10:42 PM   #17
Longhorn Man

Briggs!!!!!
That's the name of the town.
Here is a yahoo map... http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newa...Tx&tcountry=us
And you gota love google... Their number is 512-489-2255 or 512-259-0525
A local yard I recomend...great guy, but he doesn't normally have much (althoguh, he has my old blue Longhorn) is Cam Point.... Pat is the owner, great guy. I worked for him for a summer when i wasn't out chaseing broken M-1 tanks. He is out on FM 2410 just south of Harker Heights. Take the 2410 exit from US 190 and go about 5 miles, it's on the right. You'll probably miss it the first time and hanve to make a u-turn in the trailer park on the left. If you get to a sharp bend to the left where you have to slow to about 45 or so, then you went way too far. I recomend him....he'll tell you that the part you want is worth a million dollars, but he'll tell you 5 bucks or what ever. Some of his stuff is gold in his eyes, but normally real good prices.
Mid tex in cove was a joke for the best part.
There was one out by the killeen raceway...I can't remember the name, and it wasn't in the phone book. But this place had a BUNCH of old 60's and 70's iron.

I was stationed there from 94 - 98, then I spent 99 in korea...then right bacvk to hood from 200 untill i got out in 01. Right after the hail storm that you were probably still hearing about when you first got there. I lived in harker heights and moonlighted at Pizza Pro's. Good pizza in my opinion.

You'll never catch me saying it...but I kinda miss that hell hole of a town.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #18
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Noooo, can't have that! Hey, the metal part of your bed looks really straight and solid. (where can I find one? )
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:46 PM   #19
armyavncowgirl
C10 Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
A local yard I recomend...great guy, but he doesn't normally have much (althoguh, he has my old blue Longhorn) is Cam Point.... Pat is the owner, great guy. I worked for him for a summer when i wasn't out chaseing broken M-1 tanks. He is out on FM 2410 just south of Harker Heights. Take the 2410 exit from US 190 and go about 5 miles, it's on the right.
I've been there . I bought some truck parts from him for my 92, he happened to have one that had been wrecked. I'll stop in and check him out again. I haven't been there in a while and wasn't really looking for anything as old as what I have at that time.

Quote:
I was stationed there from 94 - 98, then I spent 99 in korea...then right bacvk to hood from 200 untill i got out in 01. Right after the hail storm that you were probably still hearing about when you first got there. I lived in harker heights and moonlighted at Pizza Pro's. Good pizza in my opinion.
LOL Sounds like my stint at Ft. Campbell. I was there from '97-'00, did a tour in Korea, and boomaranged right back to the 101 until '02 when I reuped to come to Hood lol. I moonlighted at Ft. Campbell with Dominoes. I can't do it here, no way will I ever know my way around this whole danged place! LOL
Old 05-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #20
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Use McCloskey's Marine Spar Varnish and follow the instructions on the can. It will be just outstanding. Don't stain the wood...just sand it smooth and lay on the varnish. The wood will just sparkle and the Marine Spar Varnish will last forever on your truck. You can easily renew it just by sanding and adding another coat. Apply with a brush.

Your small window longbed looks really cool!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 05-05-2005 at 10:53 PM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #21
armyavncowgirl
C10 Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stllookn
Use McCloskey's Marine Spar Varnish and follow the instructions on the can. It will be just outstanding. Don't stain the wood...just sand it smooth and lay on the varnish. The wood will just sparkle and the Marine Spar Varnish will last forever on your truck. You can easily renew it just by sanding and adding another coat. Apply with a brush.

Your small window longbed looks really cool!
Thanks for the tip! And thanks for the compliment as well! I'll look into that as well. I've got a strip of oak extra as a test subject so we shall see how my different attempts turn out
Old 05-05-2005, 11:49 PM   #22
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

I re did the Teak on my boat this winter. I sanded it with copper wool(real smooth finish and the particles left in the wood will not rust) and used Sikken Satin. You can get it at the local marine store. It holds up longer than any other marine varnish on the market according to Boaters Report. Looks beautifull. I'll give you the complete name of it if you want(I need to find the can).
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #23
classicchev

Make sure you test fit the wood, predrill all the required holes before you apply any finish. Also make sure you seal everywhere, including all the holes that are drilled. Wood iwill "RUST" just like metal, except it turns black. Ill post a couple shots of bedwood for you. Good luck

Last edited by classicchev; 05-06-2005 at 12:54 AM.
classicchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:38 AM   #24
Deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicchev
Make sure you test fit the wood, predrill all the required holes before you apply any finish. Also make sure you seal everywhere, including all the holes that are drilled. Wood is just like metal, except it turns black. Ill post a couple shots of bedwood for you. Good luck

Is that one of yours ??

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:45 AM   #25
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicchev
Make sure you test fit the wood, predrill all the required holes before you apply any finish. Also make sure you seal everywhere, including all the holes that are drilled. Wood is just like metal, except it turns black. Ill post a couple shots of bedwood for you. Good luck

Man, that sure is pretty!