The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
squeak003

what should i look for and.....

What should I look for rust wise, and what kind of price would you put on it if it end up clean?

Theres the question now heres the info. From what I can see its a '60 or '61 chevy by the front end. Its sitting off the road about 50 yards in a barn for years. I keep driving by drooling. They owner of the house has put the house up for rent. My wife wants to look at the house and ask them about buying or rent to own and I would like to roll the truck into the conversation. From the road I can tell it has good glass the front sheet metal, fenders and hood, appear to be rust free. Its a real faded yellow. I have been driving past it every day for at least 6 years now. It has not moved an inch. What appears to be a piece of wood from the barn fell against it in a storm we had in spring. It was never removed from the truck. It looks like a thin plank about 6 ft tall with a broken end. I would assume its a piece of the wall of the barn. most likely put a dent in it.

I found this picture on here and its the same color as the truck in this picture (truck on the left):

It has this front end:
squeak003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: what should i look for and.....

biggest places to look for rust are;
front lip of the hood (one of the worse and hardest to repair)
lower rear of fenders (by the door crease)
door bottoms/inside door bottoms
floor

it also helps to check the cab and bed mounts to make sure they aren't broken, if the cab or bed sat on broken mounts a while, you'll notice that panel gaps will take some work to get straight.

What engine and trans does it have? Is it stock/original etc? More pics might help.

Also, does it sit like that second truck you posted? That one looks either like a frame swapped/lifted truck, or a NAPCO conversion 4wd. That would change the price.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
collins10672

rust wise everywhere because these trucks are notorious for rust.over the windshield inside and out,cab corners,rocker panels,kick panels,a and b pillars,cab supports,firewall panel,up and under the dash on both sides(most of these trucks i've seen leak under the dash when in a heavy rain),lower rear part of the back cab panel in between the cab and bed,front of hood inside and out,rear corners of the hood inside and out,inner front fenders,front fenders,radiator support where it mounts to frame,lower part of tailgate,bedsides around wheel well panels inside and out,stake pocket area on bedsides,tail lamp panels on fleetsides,lip where wood mounts to bedsides,and check the frame out also.good luck on the truck.
collins10672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
1963c-10

Make sure to run the VIN for the correct year. Many trucks have different hoods or grills on them. The winshield will only give you the 60-63 or 64-66 cab years.
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins10672 View Post
rust wise everywhere because these trucks are notorious for rust.over the windshield inside and out,cab corners,rocker panels,kick panels,a and b pillars,cab supports,firewall panel,up and under the dash on both sides(most of these trucks i've seen leak under the dash when in a heavy rain),lower rear part of the back cab panel in between the cab and bed,front of hood inside and out,rear corners of the hood inside and out,inner front fenders,front fenders,radiator support where it mounts to frame,lower part of tailgate,bedsides around wheel well panels inside and out,stake pocket area on bedsides,tail lamp panels on fleetsides,lip where wood mounts to bedsides,and check the frame out also.good luck on the truck.
sounds like you had a bad experience dude.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
squeak003

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
biggest places to look for rust are;
front lip of the hood (one of the worse and hardest to repair)
lower rear of fenders (by the door crease)
door bottoms/inside door bottoms
floor

it also helps to check the cab and bed mounts to make sure they aren't broken, if the cab or bed sat on broken mounts a while, you'll notice that panel gaps will take some work to get straight.

What engine and trans does it have? Is it stock/original etc? More pics might help.

Also, does it sit like that second truck you posted? That one looks either like a frame swapped/lifted truck, or a NAPCO conversion 4wd. That would change the price.
thanks. its an old farm house so im assuming it was used as a farm truck. i haven't talked to the guy yet to get up close to look at it. for all i know it could have a stake bed on it. its too far off the road and in the barn. i have no clue what engine and trans are in it. from what i can tell its stock height. i just used those pictures as a reference of color and what the front clip looks like. ill stop on my way to work and snap a quick picture from the road.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

please do, might help a bit.

There is also a chance it could be a c20 or c30, as the sheetmetal would be the same.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
oem4me

As far as rust goes, I would be more concerned with areas that are not removable and replaceable. Good parts are cheap compared to good labor. If you see a scary amount of cab rust, just forget about it and move on to the next truck. Can you tell I live in the Southwest?
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
collins10672

Quote:
sounds like you had a bad experience dude
.nah just typical for these trucks in my area.i have owned 8 of them over the years and they have there issues.body rust being number 1.western guy's don't know how well they do have it even though they are not that many rustfree trucks left in this bodystyle even in the southwest now.mother nature always wins in the end.it would have been nice if gm had hot dipped galvanized these trucks back then.these trucks have good thick metal in them,but suffer mostly to a poor drainage system and poor workmanship meaning the cab was welded together before being primered and that left alot of nook and crannies in raw bare steel which quickly started the surface rusting process add a little dirt,mud and road salt and they quickly deteriorated away.don't get me wrong i think the 60-66 trucks are one of gm's best styling designs,but could have been built better from the factory.even the inside of the rocker panels were never primed from the factory and it is a miracle that some are still in good shape.
collins10672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

^i got lucky, even though my truck sat in florida, the sand in the quarter panels did a nice job wickking moisture away.
I won't disagree with you tho; I've been down your way and seen that heavy dirt/mud get EVERYWHERE on my truck.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
squeak003

here are the pics as promised. i should have pulled the camera out sooner. it appears to have a fleet side bed and that is what the wood is leaning against. I would also like the point out that that plate on the front bumper was only made for 1976. they were allowed to be used in 77 and 78 then had to be removed.

From the road:

Zoomed all the way in:

"Red and blue base, white numbers/letters. All passenger plates were aluminum. Two license plates (front and rear) were required. Stickers were issued for 1977 and 1978."

Last edited by squeak003; 11-18-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
Rich 5150 69

Hell stop in and ask, all he can do is say no....Str8axle bought his truck in New Jersey and he has`nt any rust, all original truck. Sometimes you get lucky.
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

def looks like a 60-61 to me. Paint color seems original (i don't know who would re paint a car that color lol).
From the distance the hood looks to be in ok shape. I can see a couple of maybe softball size dents on the side where the wood is. The ride height looks stock, and I would assume it still has an engine since the springs aren't unloaded. I can't tell if the grill insert is original.

If its been sitting there for a while, just talk to the guy. You may be able to find out when it last ran etc. Heck if the tires hold air, and the drums aren't seized or leaking, you could pull her right out and try to run it. A little penetrating oil, starting fluid and plugs can put a smile on your face if she was cared for before she sat.
YOU NEED TO SAVE THAT POOR TRUCKS LIFE!