The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
CAL 58 GMC

Camaro front clip installation

Here somthing I though might be of intrest. It's a new product that No Limit sell's for clipping camaro's onto 1955 to 1959 Chevy trucks.

Here's the link.
http://www.nolimit.net/prodinfo.asp?number=D%2D101

TECH DVD 55-59 CAMARO CLIP

Item Number : D-101

Unit Price: $35.00

Detailed Description
This DVD shows you how to graft a 74'-81' Camaro front clip to the frame rails of your Chevy truck. It includes the installation of all IFS suspension pieces, the motor mounts, and the transmission mount. In addition, it also details the removal and replacement of the front bumper and radiator core support mounts along with boxing the front frame rails.
Attached Images

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 04-21-2008 at 08:39 PM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
72armyswbtruck

Re: Camaro front clip installation

Way Cool, thanks for the link
Old 04-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
Houston54

I have their VHS version of that and was pretty disappointed in the quality of the video. Not only was it not a very professional presentation but the detail regarding how the core support mounting brackets are installed was completely glossed over. While it does provide good information it is very difficult to watch and could have been much better.

Possibly they upgraded it now that it is on DVD.

I would say it is almost worth the money they charge but their shipping costs were excessive. I was able to get them to cut that in half by calling them and discussing it with them.

After viewing the video I gave them some feedback on the missing details and they acknowledged it was pretty thin on the core support brackets but that I was the first person to give it a somewhat negative review.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
55dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54 View Post
I have their VHS version of that and was pretty disappointed in the quality of the video. Not only was it not a very professional presentation but the detail regarding how the core support mounting brackets are installed was completely glossed over. While it does provide good information it is very difficult to watch and could have been much better.

Possibly they upgraded it now that it is on DVD.

I would say it is almost worth the money they charge but their shipping costs were excessive. I was able to get them to cut that in half by calling them and discussing it with them.

After viewing the video I gave them some feedback on the missing details and they acknowledged it was pretty thin on the core support brackets but that I was the first person to give it a somewhat negative review.
he is 100% correct as to the fact the vhs version sucked! sure hope they learned something in 15 years. better call and see if is the "revised" edition.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

i'm willing to bet it is th same one, just now on dvd, because who owns a vhs anymore?

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
awsloan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-ton of fun View Post
i'm willing to bet it is th same one, just now on dvd, because who owns a vhs anymore?
You are right, I purchased the DVD and the quality is very poor. While it is true that they do not touch base on the front sheet metal backets, I found this DVD well worth the $35.00 even with the poor quality and poor production. It does show you everything you need to know before doing the graft very well, good info for someone that has never done it.

I deviated somewhat from their method of bending the frame out to fit the clip. Instead of tapering the sides of the camaro clip I held my cuts where the clip would fit right inside the frame exactly and made a nice rounding transition at the end of may chamfer close to the a-arm towers. I personally think this looks just as good and you dont have to heat the frame to spread it apart. My method also allows the clip to make better contact with the frame instead of only making contact where the tapered clip meets the frame. This also allows you to weld the clip on the inside of the frame as well as the outside before boxing in the inside of the frame around the clip.

I have seen far better methods than the one they use for re-attaching the front frame sections ahead of the clip. The cleanest method I have seen is on Cal's frame and that is how I will do mine. You can still use the postioning instructions shown on the DVD to do this or any other method.

All-in-all the DVD is worth 35 bucks.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
mr48chev

Here is a link to a pretty well done tech article on the H.A.M.B. that details the swap step by step.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ht=Camaro+clip

It leaves a bit more subframe than some I have seen but it is strong and the instructions are easy to follow. I would say it would be great for a daily driver truck that was going to see a lot of miles but is not the cleanest looking install.

I looked at your pages on the build of your truck and that is probably the cleanest subframe installation I have seen in a long time.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=162816 This, folks is what you need to do if you want a show winner.

Last edited by mr48chev; 05-20-2008 at 12:55 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:48 AM   #8
hammerdog57

I am interested in see some pics of trucks with clip done according to video. I have video and it says to use stock axle centerline. Has anyone used video to do clip? Are you happy how the front wheel fits wheel opening? Also video states to measure from welded in reference point to shock eye holes to line up clip but says nothing about squaring the shock eye holes to frame. It just seemed to me you could get clip not parallel to frame pretty easy by just measuring forward with out squaring things. Any thoughts?
hammerdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

you NEED to cross measure also to square the clip with the frame

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
BlueJeep

I'll jump in with my opinion. I would NOT use the factory axle centerline as your new target. My preference is to move the new one forward 2", and it is much easier now than later. You can always cut your truck frame shorter...

I say this after having cut apart a subframe job on a '55 to add 2" to make the wheels look better in the front fenders. I ended up rebuilding the frame where the splice was so I could blend it better, since I had to make up the 2" of missing frame anyway.
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #11
awsloan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
I'll jump in with my opinion. I would NOT use the factory axle centerline as your new target. My preference is to move the new one forward 2", and it is much easier now than later. You can always cut your truck frame shorter...

I say this after having cut apart a subframe job on a '55 to add 2" to make the wheels look better in the front fenders. I ended up rebuilding the frame where the splice was so I could blend it better, since I had to make up the 2" of missing frame anyway.
Could someone show some photos to compare the difference in the stock position versus the addition of 2". I have my clip ready but have not cut my frame yet. I for one would like to see the difference with comparible wheel size and stance of the truck.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #12
mxer

Since your talking about camaro subframes maybe somone can help me out.I have a 56 with a front steer clip,what are u guys using for a radiator.When i bought my truck the rad was rigged in and will have to be made to fit or get stock one.Also will a stock rad clear the steering box.
mxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
CAL 58 GMC

I used a stock radiator bolted into the stock radiator support. When your clip was installed it should have the front frame rails welded on to the front of your clip. Your stock radiator should not hit the steering box, it's close, but it should clear.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 AM   #14
mxer

Sweet but hows that stock rad cool,i have a big block getting bilt will that be enough,i did find a griffin alum for stock support but its 700.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #15
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxer View Post
Sweet but hows that stock rad cool,i have a big block getting bilt will that be enough,i did find a griffin alum for stock support but its 700.
Were I live it gets over 100 degrees and it runs about 190 with a 350 small block.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #16
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Were I live it gets over 100 degrees and it run at about 190 with a 350 small block.

Here a link for a 1955 56 57 58 59 Chevy Truck Aluminum Radiator on e-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRC-1...8962QQtcZphoto
Old 05-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #17
mxer

Thanks for the info,i'll have to send you some pics of mine very similar to yours.camaro clip,with custom frame back,air ride,suicide doors,shaved and smoothed everything.I dont even know how many hours i have into this body,making doors and hood fitBut i do know i will have it done this oct for a big show in oc maryland as its been a 7 year project so far.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
b00sted

mxer.... I run a big block that is tweaked some with a stock style radiator that is a 4 row... Truck runs between 180-190 all day long...
Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #19
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Thanks for the info,i'll have to send you some pics of mine very similar to yours.camaro clip,with custom frame back,air ride,suicide doors,shaved and smoothed everything.I dont even know how many hours i have into this body,making doors and hood fitBut i do know i will have it done this oct for a big show in oc maryland as its been a 7 year project so far.
I would love to see some pics of your truck.