The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
SRH916
1975 C-10 Silverado LWB

Talking Opinions needed.

Since buying my first truck, the guys at my machine shop are more than willing to help me out. Its great, and one of them has some parts to help me out.

The first thing I was looking at was some 3 in. drop shackles, and 1-2 in. drop springs in the front, and a 6 in. flip kit in the back. Does anyone have pictures of a truck with this done, maybe even a before and after set? I want to drop my truck, but not too far or too little.

Also, the parts that my friend has is a pair of fuelie heads (ported and polished) with some stainless steel valves (2.02), a set of headers (unknown brand), and an edelbrock victor jr. intake. how much should this set me back? I know I wont be ripped off, but im not sure exactly how good a deal it is even with my internship at a machine shop

Thanks for the help!
SRH916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: Opinions needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRH916 View Post
Also, the parts that my friend has is a pair of fuelie heads (ported and polished) with some stainless steel valves (2.02), a set of headers (unknown brand), and an edelbrock victor jr. intake. how much should this set me back? I know I wont be ripped off, but im not sure exactly how good a deal it is even with my internship at a machine shop

Thanks for the help!

3 - 500 for the heads, would depend on how much use they have on them since the rebuild, but keep in mind that you can get a new set of Vortec heads that will outflow those older heads for 5 - 600 too, depending on the dealership

IF (and its a big IF) the headers fit your truck, maybe $50 - even less if they're rusty unless they are a set of Doug Thorley headers or something like that. Used headers are not a good buy unless they are the ceramic or stainless, or if they still look brand new -- new Hedmans in the black finish are $150. They fit great and look acceptable for a while until the paint burns off.

A Victor intake might be worth $75 - $100, but is not a great intake for a truck with the stock compression ratio and torque converter. The single plane intakes like huge amounts of cam lift and big, thirsty carburators. A much better intake for a heavy vehicle that needs a lot of torque to move it around is the Performer RPM or RPM Air Gap manifold. But if you got it cheap, its still a nice intake to have around

Nonsense! I'm in my prime

Last edited by streetstar; 12-15-2007 at 04:45 PM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote