The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2017, 01:37 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Finally pulled this cab

Nobody told me these were light. Just kidding, I heard they were easier to move than a bed, and I'd say so. Course I make mountains of molehills for things I care but know nothing about, so I recruited five other guys see, three could bench 75% to 100+% the weight of the cab. Anyway, my brothers supervised, cuz they're old like me. The three bulls took a corner each, and at 155 lbs. wet I took the other. We lifted the cab and immediately all could do was laugh (reference mountains of molehills).

Not just a laugh, but I feel like I'm making real progress now, and can smell a pinch of ground up. Today was a good day.

Incidentally, the cart I built works awesome. It's about 1/16" off level. Overbuilt, but I probably wouldn't change a thing. That said, I pre-drilled the rear with larger holes than necessary, so it's easier to mount. We weren't paying attention (especially me) and it was off 1/4" from square at the rear after already too much fuss (that would be my brothers). 1/4" at the rear explains 1/2"ish off center in front, I drilled and oooooooops. That's okay, I dumbed the cart down and works regardless. It's bolted down at all four corners and supported in four places in front, and the rear frame is supported. I'll build a platform (WITH LOCKING CASTERS) and bolt it onto the rear of the cart, lay the cab down and pretty her up. Post 9 has the cart plans, if interested: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=736872

I always thought images of frames were misleading, because the frames look so long. Wholly cow, with the body off these remind me of a cable car, and this is the short version.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-14-2017 at 02:15 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
GR8-68

Re: Finally pulled this cab

Looks good fine looking project, cab appears to be pretty solid

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
FirstOwner69

Great progress! Now the real fun begins... seriously.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
randy500
Account Suspended

Your exhaust looks original, can you take some pictures of it? Amazing it still has the muffler hangars that wraparound the cans. Also think it's cool that it's leaf springs...
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
Looks good fine looking project, cab appears to be pretty solid
Thanks, it's a great project, but so time consuming. Never done this before. Couldn't ask for a better cab. Surface rust in places on the driver floor and an inch worth on the windshield frame. That's it. Has a few weld spots needed from some (*&^)^ trying to drill for what appears a #10 screw, on a vertical rail. I suspect that (*&^)^ was me
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Great progress! Now the real fun begins... seriously.
No kidding, I see that. There's really not much left. Lot of parts on an A/C cab. Whether I beat the weather for a painted frame pending.

However, 98% of what's left I'm unfamiliar. Lots of questions coming way board encyclopedia. Truth is, I'm hiring out the suspension. Though I could do it, I'm more comfortable having a helping hand who knows how. I may do the same for the drive shaft. I'm not touching the internal engine, (40K), oil always appears new & runs like a top. Internal transmission I'm not sure. 145K if I recall the odometer, but it still shifts like new. If I knew I could get a quality rebuild for say $1500 I would, but really, who do you trust?

You guys figure I should pull the front/rear suspension before or after the engine & transmission?
Old 07-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Your exhaust looks original, can you take some pictures of it? Amazing it still has the muffler hangars that wraparound the cans. Also think it's cool that it's leaf springs...
You bet. One rear hanger is broken. Can I ask you this? I'll get a new exhaust system from the manifolds, and want something nice & perhaps somewhat original. Regardless of type, how much of the original hangers are used? Guess I'm wondering if I need a new rear hanger, etc.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
You bet. One rear hanger is broken. Can I ask you this? I'll get a new exhaust system from the manifolds, and want something nice & perhaps somewhat original. Regardless of type, how much of the original hangers are used? Guess I'm wondering if I need a new rear hanger, etc.
Nobody reproduces big block exhaust systems, I have searched forever and haven't found a thing. I think you could get the LMC/heartthrob system and buy Pypes head pipes for a car, somebody here did that. I think all the small block systems are 21/4 pipe though
Old 07-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
FirstOwner69

Quote:
You guys figure I should pull the front/rear suspension before or after the engine & transmission?
If you are going to break down the front suspension (remove springs, etc.) you will want all the weight you can get on the front end. I suspect it's a little less critical than with my 3/4 ton, but I couldn't reassemble it without using what I considered a very dangerous method. I won't even tell you what I did.

Rear end was easy and should also be with your leaf springs.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Nobody reproduces big block exhaust systems, I have searched forever and haven't found a thing. I think you could get the LMC/heartthrob system and buy Pypes head pipes for a car, somebody here did that. I think all the small block systems are 21/4 pipe though
Old 07-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Here you go Randy. Let me know if you need more:

Old 07-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
If you are going to break down the front suspension (remove springs, etc.) you will want all the weight you can get on the front end. I suspect it's a little less critical than with my 3/4 ton, but I couldn't reassemble it without using what I considered a very dangerous method. I won't even tell you what I did.

Rear end was easy and should also be with your leaf springs.

Everything is coming off Mr. Jim. So if I'm picking up the message, sequence is:

1. Pull the drive shaft.

2. Put the front on jack stands. Maybe the rear as well...Real carefully (yikes).

3. Put the rear axle on jack stands. I may get a floor dolly or two, so I can move it out of the way.

4. Pull the front & rear suspension. Drop the rear axle.

5. Pull the engine and transmission.

6. Start the rebuild already.

Ha ha ha............Rear alignment was both my brother's fault. Just kidding, but I'm using it. I'm the innocent bystander in the Pumas. They're studying the rear. My mom took this pic.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-14-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #13
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Here you go Randy. Let me know if you need more:

Very interesting Tony,
I would like to see more pics of the muffler straps when you remove the exhaust.
I thing the flat band clamps are factory (not the round stock ones) as I have seen remnants of those on other trucks.

Can you confirm the pipe size is 2.5 inches before and after the mufflers.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

You won't need to wait long on those straps. Next on the agenda. Shot them with oil today.

I measured the pipes just before the weld points using a digital. They're 2.5" or real close to the muffler. From the muffler the measurements follow. I'm not sure it matters, but I recall the LH tail pipe falling off. Muffler dude said the pipe on the muffler itself had warn thin, but there was just enough to weld on another tail pipe.

LH 2.33/128"
RH 2.25/64"

BTW, what do you mean by "not the round stock"? In other terms, the U-bolt on the LH front hanger isn't factory?

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-14-2017 at 11:12 PM.