The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

Can I use this?

Hi everybody;
This week I have 3 days weekend! and today is the only day that my wife is at work and I am home! therefore I took advantage and paid a visit to a junk yard and bought these things. Radiator reserve tank fits nicely, I just have to clean it up but my question is about the alternator. I took it off of blazer which I don't know what year since it was all smashed and I am not good at estimated the ageanyway. On the partial option list in the glove box of the truck, looked like truck had lots of options including heavy duty batery and some electrical stuff. I don't see any part number on this thing most likely because I am not looking at the right place!. Now, the question is; I have external regulator alt. Do you think I can use this one? Thanks
Attached Images

Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 06:45 PM   #2
neonlarry

Yes, but you will have to do some rewiring. Obivously the terminal with the white wire on it goes to the battery (red wire on your current alt). On the 4 terminal plug the wire in the largest terminal (1 large,3 small) is the voltage sensing wire this can go to the same place (the terminal block by the battery). The other wire is a little more tricky, it depends if you have a warning light or not. If you have a warning light it would go to that, on the terminal opposite the terminal that goes to the ignition. If you do not have a warning light the brown wire on you alt will go there, BUT THROUGH A 75 OHM 3 WATT RESISTOR. DO NOT HOOK TO 12 VOLT OR YOU WILL NEED ANOTHER ALT. Again splice a resistor in series with the brown wire before it connects to the alt. You can probably purchase one at Radio Shack. The alt you have is probably a CS130 maybe a CS144.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
Nima
Blue 67

Thanks neonlarry for reply. Now I have other questions; Do I still need my external regulator? Also, How can I find out how many amp is this alt? I just want to know if it worth it to change my current alt. I just bought this because it was cheap (I paid 15 $ for it) and I tought it should be stronger than mine. Thanks
Old 11-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Nima
Blue 67

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlarry
Yes, but you will have to do some rewiring. Obivously the terminal with the white wire on it goes to the battery (red wire on your current alt). On the 4 terminal plug the wire in the largest terminal (1 large,3 small) is the voltage sensing wire this can go to the same place (the terminal block by the battery). The other wire is a little more tricky, it depends if you have a warning light or not. If you have a warning light it would go to that, on the terminal opposite the terminal that goes to the ignition. If you do not have a warning light the brown wire on you alt will go there, BUT THROUGH A 75 OHM 3 WATT RESISTOR. DO NOT HOOK TO 12 VOLT OR YOU WILL NEED ANOTHER ALT. Again splice a resistor in series with the brown wire before it connects to the alt. You can probably purchase one at Radio Shack. The alt you have is probably a CS130 maybe a CS144.
Thanks for the excellent info, I've been looking around for this for a while... I've got a 105 amp alternator from a 89 Suburban, and didn't know how to hook it up, lol
Old 11-20-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
neonlarry

Its either a CS130=130amp or CS144=144amp. If you measure the distance between the two front mounting holes I can give you a more educated guess. Do I need my external reg? No, if you wire up the alt like if described the wire hooked to the reg. will go nowhere.

Last edited by neonlarry; 11-20-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:29 PM   #7
Nima
Blue 67

The measurment between two front holes is 6.5 inches (from the center of the hole to the other). I am not sure if this is what you asked for though.
Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #8
neonlarry

That's probably a CS130, a CS144 measures 7ΒΌ". I don't have a CS130 to measure.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:10 PM   #9
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

The CS130 and CS140 refer to the diameter of the alternator case. 130 is 5 1/8" and 140 is 5 5/8". CS130 alt output ranges from 85 amps to 124 amps. Most of em are 105amps. Here's a good link for install questions. http://www.chevelles.com/techref/tecref14.html
Old 11-28-2004, 01:03 AM   #10
Nima
Blue 67

Ok, On the new alt, the connector is marked; S F L P. I know S goes to battery, P won't be connected, but I am not sure which of F or L goes to my gauge. By the way gauge and warning light are the same, I mean I don't have to use resistor. Is that correct? Thanks. Nima
Old 11-28-2004, 01:15 AM   #11
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

On the connector that I got, there were four wires and the body of the connector had identification letters. Here are the id letters and the color wires (don't count on the colors to be the same as what you get).

"S", this was a heavy gauge, red wire.

"F", this was a small gauge, brown wire.

"L", this was a small gauge, brown/red wire.

"P", this was a small gauge, brown/white wire.

The red wire from "S" gets connected back to the output terminal of the alternator just like in the "SI" swap.

The brown/red wire from "L" gets connected to what is shown in the diagram above as the blue wire. It's this wire that comes (indirectly) from the idiot light and it energizes the alternator.

The wires from "F" and "P" are not used!

As an additional note; AC Delco sells a "conversion" wiring loom if you are changing from a "SI" to a "CS" and it is nothing but a few short wires and two connectors. One connector plugs into the existing wiring loom connector that was plugged into the "SI". The other new connector plugs into the "CS". What's real important to note is that there are two different types. One is "non-resistor" and the other has a resistance in it. You want the "non-resistor" one if you are going to keep the idiot light. Use the "resistor" one if you are getting rid of the idiot light. Be sure to read the "notes" section of this page before jumping!!

The above is a clip from my previously posted link. I run a voltmeter not a light so I needed the resistor. I do not know the ohm value of the resistor needed. I bought the delco conversion harness that allready had the resistor in it from parts america.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:37 AM   #12
Nima
Blue 67

Well, I am switching from external regulator to cs one and as far as I looked there was no conversion harness for sale, maybe I didn't look at right places. At this point with all these info from you guys(which I really appreciate, my last confusiion (I hope!!) is;
Do I need to use a resistor if I am using the gauge on instrument panel without any light. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:53 PM   #13
neonlarry

YES!!! Reread my post above. And chickenwing's post. Unless you have an idiot light dash (no battery gauge) you need the resistor. You can't put a full 12-14V to these alts without frying them. The light acts as a resistor if you don't have a light you need a resistor to cut down the voltage that excites the alt.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:44 PM   #14
Nima
Blue 67

I got it now!. Thanks for being patient. Nima
Old 11-28-2004, 06:00 PM   #15
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I'll look for that delco part # for you. Kragens sells it but you have to have the part# to buy it. The parts guys are like "duh, where'd you get this number?"
Old 11-28-2004, 06:11 PM   #16
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing
I'll look for that delco part # for you. Kragens sells it but you have to have the part# to buy it. The parts guys are like "duh, where'd you get this number?"
Well I stumbled across it cheaper elsewhere but probably a non delco part.
Scroll on down the page part#D1-W1204 for $14.95
http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130...uv_upgrade.htm

The delco part# at the parts america site is 8078 they want $21.99 for it.

https://www.partsamerica.com/PartDet...artNumber=8078
Old 11-28-2004, 11:04 PM   #17
Nima
Blue 67

Thanks chickenwing for the number.