The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
shaned

6.0 install

Has anyone install a 6.0 and transmission from a 2006 Chevy G3500 into a 67 C-10? The truck was a work truck that we just had a new GM block installed about 5000 miles. The box truck was in an accident and totaled. I believe the trans is a 4L80e?
Attached Images

shaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 6.0 install

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaned View Post
Has anyone install a 6.0 and transmission from a 2006 Chevy G3500 into a 67 C-10? The truck was a work truck that we just had a new GM block installed about 5000 miles. The box truck was in an accident and totaled. I believe the trans is a 4L80e?

Quite a few people have. There is a special forum for these swaps called "LSx Swaps" and I will move your thread there.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
shaned

thank you
shaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
jessemthompson

In short, Yes! This has been done thousands of times. Read through the FAQ thread. You will find all the basic info you need in there. There are lots of knowledgeable, friendly board members in here.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Welcome! Your in a good place with tons of helpful friends!!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
MidLifer

Just spent the last 18 months (very part time) putting the very same combo in my 71 C10. Most if not all of what I needed to know came from this forum. Good luck with your swap!

What I had the most problems with:

- Mounts - don't mess around, buy good mounts. You don't want to have to install your engine more than once. I ended up using CPP perches and Dirty Dingo plates. Not cheap but well worth it in the end.

- Fuel supply - I really really really wanted to keep my in-cab tank. I tried a frame-mounted in-line Walbro 255 first, and it lived up to what I read about them, they aren't good at pulling fuel. As soon as it would heat up (from the nearby exhaust) it would start to starve the engine. Then I put a Walbro into the cab tank, and now I am getting tired of listening to it. After a while it starts to whine like a dentist's drill. Next step will be getting the tank out of the cab.

- Oh and as far as fuel lines, use braided hose with AN connectors and "Seco seals". That last part is $10 well spent for a dozen of those puppies. They are little aluminum seals that go on the end of the male AN fitting and prevent leaks.

- One thing I learned after going through 3 rear main seals thinking that I wasn't putting them on correctly is you have to put thread sealer on the flexplate bolts or they will p*ss oil. Probably should have known that but with my old manual trans, the flywheel bolts did not leak. BTW if you plan to refresh the rear main, buy one of the alignment tools to get the new one right. Sac City Corvette has a good one that isn't too expensive.

That's what I wish I had known up front which would have saved me time and sweat.

Have to say I'm loving the feeling of 350HP to the rear wheels. Next project is a locker, because it's hard to keep from doing one-wheel peels!
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
ls1nova71

It's not a bad swap to do. I've done 6.0, 5.3, 5.7, they're all pretty much the same. There's a link in my sig to the budget build I did on my rusty truck.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post
- One thing I learned after going through 3 rear main seals thinking that I wasn't putting them on correctly is you have to put thread sealer on the flexplate bolts or they will p*ss oil. Probably should have known that but with my old manual trans, the flywheel bolts did not leak. BTW if you plan to refresh the rear main, buy one of the alignment tools to get the new one right. Sac City Corvette has a good one that isn't too expensive.

!
Would you recommend just buying the plate with the seal already installed? That's what I plan to do before I install my 6.0l

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
MidLifer

Some people on this list may know how to make that work, but I don't. I actually bought the plate with seal at one point and I popped the seal out and used the Sac City tool to align the plate. So my answer would be that you could do that but that doesn't save you from having to align the plate.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #10
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
Would you recommend just buying the plate with the seal already installed? That's what I plan to do before I install my 6.0l
There is a different alignment tool used to install a complete rear cover. Its a GM tool and pretty expensive for a one-time use. My wife works at a chevy dealership which allows me the extremely fortunate ability to borrow their tools from time to time and that was how i did it.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote