The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Crazy Rusty

Frenched Antenna

Does anyone have any build pics of welding up the in-cab gas inlet and putting the antenna there? I've seen pics of them finished but not in progress. About to get started on that and didn't want to reinvent the wheel on how to get the correct measurements the first time. If not, I guess there will be one when I'm done
Crazy Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
1963c-10

Re: Frenched Antenna

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=513075
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
slepysal

Here is my "Fake French" There is plenty of room to weld in a real one Hope this helps
1ST pic is the pilot hole
Name:  IMG_0377.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0380.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  29.5 KB

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
Jurassic-1

I have installed many of these. I teach auto collision at a local high school and have demonstrated quite a few of these on projects. We have made plates to move the filler neck but I prefer the antenna to be on the passenger side for less obstructions. I make them both inverted and raised and like them both. I start with a similar gauge of steel and cut it to the opening size . I then slightly crown the piece to fit the factory curve then I grind the edge around the hole and carefully spot weld around allowing it to cool once finished and ground clean you can give it a light coat of filler then prime and refinish. Back to the antenna I pick the spot and drill a pilot hole about 1/4 inch size. I decide what diameter I want the hole then hole saw the hole straight up and down to create an oval opening. I then get a 3-4 inch pipe and weld a washer on one end to hold the antenna. (note) use an antenna with a drain tube or you will have to weld a drain on the pipe. Next place the pipe in the hole and using a carbide bit fit the pipe by cleaning the cab corner as needed. Next weld the pipe in place.If you want the inverted antenna cut the excess off and grind it flush finish with a little bondo and prime, paint and install the antenna. For the raised type you can mold around the edges of the pipe where it meets the cab and finish it any way you like. Flat or a pint or whatever. It is very easy and does not take too long but it looks custom and expensive. Please remember to remove carpet or use a fire blanket when welding. It would ruin your day to burn your truck to the ground. I do not have any photos but I hope this helps.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote