The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
SquareOne

Unhappy How bad is this?

My dad and I are tearing down the ol' short wide for a frame off and once we removed the radiator support we found this:

Is this a bad sign for the frame over all? I'd hate to get far along into the build and realize the frame is useless. Can I get the piece through retail or do I have to scour the salvage yards?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

By the way, this is what I started with. Trust she's a 20 (er, 40) footer:

SquareOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Re: How bad is this?

uhhh...... am i blind or do i see nothing wrong?
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinem View Post
uhhh...... am i blind or do i see nothing wrong?
I think he means the bent area of the front most cross member, the one ahead of the front pulley on the crank. Or it could be the the dirt...LOL.

If you are concerned about frame damage, I would not worry to much about that, that is were someone hooked up a chain to drag the truck out of a ditch or something. That cross member is pretty light weight, heck a couple good taps with a bfh and she will be good as new!

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
menace121978

look at the passengeside framerail in the 2nd pic guys.

man, if it were me i'd tear the truck down to just the chassis and take some measurements. maybe even take it to a shop that has a frame rack to be more accurate. its hard to tell from pics buddy. i'd love to tell ya "no prob. just cut off the frame horns and weld up some new ones!" but i think there may be more to this one.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list

Last edited by menace121978; 03-20-2010 at 08:30 AM.
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

thats repairable

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

No it is a tiotal waste of time. I will be by soon and give you $20.00 for the remains of the truck. Sorry, that is more than what it's worth. LOL

It is repairable.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post

man, if it were me i'd tear the truck down to just the chassis and take some measurements. maybe even take it to a shop that has a frame rack to be more accurate. its hard to tell from pics buddy. i'd love to tell ya "no prob. just cut off the frame horns and weld up some new ones!" but i think there may be more to this one.
I agree, it needs to be stripped down and measured for squareness before you spend any time cleaning it up.

That front crossmember should be pretty easy to find in a wrecking yard and won't cost you much. I would put in another one instead of trying to pound that one into shape. It will also show you if the frame rails are not parallel too when you try to install the new part.

It may just be the picture angle making the frame horn look out of shape but a chassis shop can straighten out that frame rail pretty easily, however, it would be cheaper to just weld on a new section if it is just the front section of the frame horn that is bent and the rest behind that front crossmember measures out correctly.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars

Last edited by 68 TT; 03-20-2010 at 10:16 AM.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
SquareOne

Quote:

That is definetly the plan now. I was just asking about the front crossmember where the brake block is bolted. However, I don't want to go to far and realize that I reconditioned a frame that wasn't worth it.

I think it may have just been the angle though:

Old 03-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Dude, if all the body lines lined up before you tore it apart, clean, paint, etc. and put it back together. Doesnt look too serious to me but maybe I am not seeing what some of the others are.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #10
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
Dude, if all the body lines lined up before you tore it apart, clean, paint, etc. and put it back together. Doesnt look too serious to me but maybe I am not seeing what some of the others are.
maybe im not seeing it either... the cross member that the brake "proportioning valve" is bolted to is bowed like that, all of them are... but if it looks out of wack in person, like one side is not square or something, break out the tape measure, string and weights....

look at the inner drivers side tire, look at the wear, something IS wrong, i just cant see it in the pictures.
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
Alex1

You can bring it to a bod shop and have them staighten it...
Alex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

It is definitely repairable, but I would take it to the frame rack first to get it straightened. The passenger side frame rail is tweaked pretty good. I would get the crossmember replaced and then take it in.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
mbgmike

yes . we do this stuff all the time. Replace the member take to frame shop. About $90 per hour.

I reccomend this to all guys working on trucks. Usually its fix the body, crap parts body parts dont' fit, these parts are &^$%.

Did you start with a straight frame?
"it looked straight"

"I measured it"
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #14
Gemp

Are talking about the cross member in front of the motor or the pass side frame rail?

The cross member looks fine. The back lip of it looks like someone had wraped a chain around it. But it doesn't look like a issue. The pass frame rail does look funny in that 2nd pic.

The front cross member is suppose to look like that....Best pic I have of it.

Last edited by Gemp; 03-21-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Gemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
SquareOne

Thumbs up Re: How bad is this?

Well during disassembly I didn't notice any unbalanced gaps in the body but, like I said, I'm going to spend the extra money to make sure it's straight and have it done right. I appreciate the input guys. I've been trolling this forum for a while and have read a lot and it's given me the courage to go ahead and give a frame-off a go.

Short-Wides FTW!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #16
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Yea I gotta agree I would take it in as you are this far along with it. That cross-member don't look to bad but I don't know without seeing it in person. Good luck on the build gonna be sweet when you get it all done buddy
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
Irish's_79_Step

i have a stepside frame with the horns bent as well. i talked to a few shops around me and its like 200 to have them pull it. mine are off a few inches. but from what they told me it would be like four hundred to do some major pulling. and it doesnt look too bad to me so it wouldnt be too expensive IMO
Irish's_79_Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #18
LiveAnimals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
I agree, it needs to be stripped down and measured for squareness before you spend any time cleaning it up.

That front crossmember should be pretty easy to find in a wrecking yard and won't cost you much. I would put in another one instead of trying to pound that one into shape. It will also show you if the frame rails are not parallel too when you try to install the new part.

It may just be the picture angle making the frame horn look out of shape but a chassis shop can straighten out that frame rail pretty easily, however, it would be cheaper to just weld on a new section if it is just the front section of the frame horn that is bent and the rest behind that front crossmember measures out correctly.
I'll triple that

I'm a Middle ClASS HOLE

07.5 Dodge 3500 CTD -- Daily
73 C10 Factory BB SWB 2WD
LiveAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #19
LiveAnimals

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post

Triple that

I'm a Middle ClASS HOLE

07.5 Dodge 3500 CTD -- Daily
73 C10 Factory BB SWB 2WD
LiveAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #20
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Looks okay to me.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #21
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post

Looks okay to me.
From that pic angle it looks like the rails are fine and it is just the crossmember that got bent up by somebody moving it with a chain. It should be fine with a straight crossmember bolted in.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote