The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2015, 12:38 AM   #1
orngsikL

Wink 74 i6 250 power steering questions

I've been searching, maybe not hard enough. But I want to convert to power steering on my 74 i6 250.
I was thinking of just buying all the pieces online from sites and piecing it together. Has anyone done this already?

Just wondering what all is needed, which pump do I need exactly? I'm having a hard time finding a bracket also for the pump, found one on ebay, but i'm going to try and find some stuff at a junkyard next week.

Any help or info would be great!

TIA
instagram -
@esso_c10
@projectpawpaw
orngsikL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:52 AM   #2
orngsikL

Re: 74 i6 250 power steering questions

I found this kit:
http://www.classicsteeringsupply.com...CSS6788PSK.htm

Can i use this and just find a i6 bracket?
instagram -
@esso_c10
@projectpawpaw
orngsikL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
D13

It's hard to put together one online unless you already know the parts you need.

On the frame side, the steering box with pitman arm should be bought as a unit, and it should come from a 2wd if that's what your truck is. Remember most boxes are somewhat sloppy. The alternative is a AGR performance box ($$), or a rebuild from the parts store (quality seems to be hit or miss). Pay attention to the steering column joint and hose connections, there are 2 different ones.

On the motor side, there are 4 systems. The early car one uses a hydraulic cylinder to push on the steering linkage. Avoid that. The next one, from the late 60's early 70's, uses a narrow groove spacing on the harmonic balancer and conventional pipe connections. The next version uses wide groove spacing, and was used until the integral head motors, and later on the 292's. FYI, some of the big trucks (5500 / 6500 etc) came with 292's and a slightly different set up that may still swap over. The last one came with the integral head motors and , and if I recall, went to different pipe connections. This one will NOT fit on non integral head motors.

If it was me:
If it is a beater, then measure the distance between your balancer's grooves, and confirm if you have 'wide' (most likely) or 'narrow'. Then post here or CL and try to find a complete set on the vehicle so you can be sure you got everything.

If you have an integral head motor only the factory brackets for that style motor will work!

If you're making a nice truck, there is a set of aluminum brackets on e-flay that look nice, and can be has with or without AC if you think you might add it. Search chevy 250 brackets. Pumps can be gotten local, pay attention to the return pipe as it versus the brackets / exhaust is what determines the pump to use. Hint - the pumps are pretty much the same, what mounting holes are drilled and tapped is all the difference. The reservoir body, and that silly pipe, is what makes the difference. Again, the later pumps have the different pipe connection, but that portion can be swapped out, or a custom hose made.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
greg64

The inline 6 power steering brackets are rare. And as D13 said, there are different styles. I found a set once on a van with a 250. But I had to modify them a bit to correct the belt alignment on my engine. In the end, I went back to manual steering with a proper manual box, which I like better. Gave my brackets to a local guy who wanted power steering.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote