The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
BHRS

Rear Axle Noise-Need Some Opinions

I need some opinions on how to fix my problem. For a while I have noticed a "hum" from the rear of the truck. I had already replaced the u-joints so today I decided to investigate where the noise is coming from. I jacked up the rear and had my wife run the truck in gear spinning the rear wheels. The left side is nice and quiet, but the right side is making the "hum" noise.

I had already changed oil in it 6-months ago and it was full and clean. I know it was refilled to level so low oil isn't the problem.

I can grab on to the tire and lift up and down-there is some play. Checked the left side and it is tight. I am thinking the axle bearing is going out, but since these axles run on the bearing I am also thinking the axle bearing surface is going to be gouged from the bearing. Am I on track thinking the axle is shot? No, I didn't pull the axle to verify-I know I should, but don't want it sitting for a few weeks in the middle of the shop...

Is there an axle saver or any options other than replacing the axle?

Checked at LMC and the axle is $150, at Summit Racing $100... Do I have any other options?

Thanks for yor help and advice!!!

1972 Cheyenne C10
Unrestored Original-3 Owner-RUST FREE Texas Truck
Big Block-TH400-PS-PB-AC-AM/FM Radio
BHRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Rear Axle Noise-Need Some Opinions

Replace the axle and bearing it will save you the cost of a axle saver, if they make them, and a tow.

Last edited by dwcsr; 11-30-2008 at 12:29 AM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote