The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Security guy

Fuel pumps

Educate me! I've got a '71 1/2 ton with a 402 thats not original to the truck. I got a replacement fuel pump for a 402 and its got the extra port for a return line. My gas tank don't have a place for a return line so I assume its been changed to a '72 (I think). Can I get a fuel pump without the return line? The problem is that this motor was in my dads truck and he never could get it to run because it kept filling the crankcase with gas. He had the return line blocked off. Are these pumps 'high volume' that it requires a return line? Is the pumps without a return line a lower pressure than the pumps with a return line? I'm trying to find out if its cheaper to find a pump without a return line, or try to drill a hole in the tank to add a fitting for a return line. I've also thought about putting a 'tee' in the feed line but that might cause some problems. Anybody know about this?
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Fuel pumps

get a pump for a 68 - 70.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
budman k20
1972 K20

I agree that Longhorn man's suggestion should work for you. I have a 72 C-10 and a 72 K-20 the C has the three line fuel pump and the K has a 2 line... both stock. So another option would be to order one for a 72 K-20! Hope that helps. The three line fuel pump re-circulates the fuel back to the tank (in the third line) so that may explain the excess fuel in your dads engine!
budman k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
Security guy

Looks like i'll be getting me a different pump. Is one a high pressure so that it requires a return line or whats GM's logic behind this? If it doesn't have a return line, do I need a regulator or does it self regulate? Just trying to understand how this works. Thanks.
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The 2 line is a lower pressure pump and as you guessed the 3 line had about 2 lbs higher so it would circulate the gas back to the tank and help stop vapor lock, It didn't work very well and caused more trouble than it helped. The oil companies stopped the vapor lock problem.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote