The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
jt45thomas

Turn signal switch problem

Just replaced tss bought from LMC. Now my battery dies over night. All signals, brakes and horn work as they should. Anything to troubleshoot or get a new switch from another vendor? FYI ...LMC'S parking lights are wired backwards.
jt45thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
ole dollor

Re: Turn signal switch problem

I would check and see if some thing may be on the wrong fuse , brakes lights and horn should be hot when ing. off . turn signals should be hot with ign on . just a maybe and a place to start....sounds like something is still running or staying on .....glove box light ?
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
jt45thomas

When I disconnect the half moon connector there is no longer a draw on battery. So I assume it could only be a new ( faulty ) turn signal switch.?
Old 05-21-2016, 12:04 AM   #4
jt45thomas

Anybody else?? LocDoc? You're the master!!
Old 05-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #5
ole dollor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt45thomas View Post
When I disconnect the half moon connector there is no longer a draw on battery. So I assume it could only be a new ( faulty ) turn signal switch.?
that makes sense that if you unplug it , that the battery stays up. not sure what it would be , sounds like the switch could be bad , if the old one did not do this , pull fuses until the draw goes away and see what circuit is drawing the battery down .....use a test light at the battery to see when the draw goes away ....good luck .
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Anybody else?? LocDoc? You're the master!!

To be truthful that kind of stuff drives me nuts too. Your Hazard switch isn't in the on position is it? Does it work?

I think I would put the old switch back in and see if it still does it. I've never really tried it but I wonder if you could just plug the switch into the half moon connector and operate it by hand outside of the column.... Key on of course.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:00 AM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

////////////////////

Quote:
There are three wires that carry voltage to the TSS
The brown hazard switch wire.
The purple Turn signal switch wire
The white brake light switch wire.

The brown wire is constant hot.
the purple wire is hot with the key on.
and the brake light white wire is hot when the brake pedal is applied.

I'd suspect the brown wire to the hazard switch just because it's hot all the time. If the switch is stuck like Lockdoc stated, then you'd have power to the four lights in the turn signals and the two in the dash. However you'd be able to see them on all the time. There is the possibility that one of the contact points is touching all the time, so only 1 light is getting power with the hazard switch off. You should still be able to see the light illuminated, but it wouldn't flash because it wouldn't pull enough resistance to cause the flasher to break contact.

You can check the hazard circuit by plugging the TS harness connector back in and simply pulling the hazard flasher, while watching the battery draw to see if it goes away. How are you determining this by the way?
There is the possibility that the brown wire is placed wrong in the connector which would allow power to go to whichever wire it was swapped with and the hazards wouldn't work. you stated that everything works so I guess that rules that out.

The usual suspect for this problem is the black wire which is the grounding wire for the horn relay. It commonly gets pinched in the column or under the horn button by the TSS and grounds all the time. This would give you a horn relay powered constantly, and a drain on the battery. The problem with that though is that the horn would blow all the time.

You can check the wires in the TSS for continuity with the hazard switch wire
by disconnecting the harness plug and placing the red meter lead on the brown wire in the column harness ( or whichever color leads to the switch that plugs into the brown wire) and touching the black lead to the other wires. With the hazard switch off, there shouldn't be any continuity to any of the other switch wires, and with the switch on you should only have continuity to the four turn signal wires. Light blue, dark blue. dark green, and yellow.

The two dash lights are wired in with the two blue wires to indicate left and right turns.

If I think of anything else I'll post again but this should give you a couple of things to check.

I didn't see what year the truck is so I assume it's a 67/72.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
jt45thomas

Guess I am just gonna order a new switch. The purple wire is also hot all the time. Thanks to all the response.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Guess I am just gonna order a new switch. The purple wire is also hot all the time. Thanks to all the response.
It should not be hot unless the key is on. If you have the column connector disconnected and the purple wire from the fuse panel is hot with the key off, I doubt that a new switch is going to help. If it is no longer hot with the key off then the TS is probably shorted and a new one should solve the problem. Can't you just return the bad one?

With the column connector unplugged, check for continuity between the brown and purple wires in the switch harness. With the hazard switch off you shouldn't have continuity and with it on you should.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
jt45thomas

Thanks a lot vettevet. There is .3 ohms with hazard off and open with it on. Like its backwards. I also get a huge range of resistance by wiggling the hazard switch.