The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2005, 02:35 AM   #1
jimmydean

Question about drop kits

My truck (as you see in my avitar) sits fairly level right now. The glove box says it has heavy springs upgrade for the rear. When looking at drops with photoshop, a 3/3 drop looks perfect, but it seems like most everyone does more rear drop than front.

Does my truck sag in the rear for some reason? Would a 3" drop in the rear be enough? Here is a photoshop pic of my truck dropped 3" front and rear from where it sits now. I need to get this done soon because I need shocks BAD and figure now is the time.

Last edited by jimmydean; 12-18-2005 at 11:49 AM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
byrd
Union Electrician

Re: Question about drop kits

no pic just little red X
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
Boog
laying low

No pic JD. Right clicking the X, get the url and pasting in search bar don't work either. "No permission to get that url from this server."
If that's your truck in your avatar it does sit pretty level. As far as what drop you buy, depends on how you want it to sit. 3/3 2/4 3/5, if you want a slight rake or leveled out.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:49 AM   #4
jimmydean

Sorry, image fixed. Stupid Yahoo photos.

If I measure the gap from the tire to the edge of the fender, it's nearly exactly the same in the front and back. But I don't want to get new springs and find out the reason it sits level was that the rear springs were old.

I like the stance it has now, I just want to lower it a little. Look at the pic and you can see what I mean. I'm not a big fan of slamming the longbeds because I think they look funny too low (unlike the SWB that looks great bagged). I also still use my truck to haul bikes, hay, what ever the wife buys when I'm not looking. So I will install helper bags too.

What drop are you using in yours and can you post a pic? I'm looking for a muscle car like stance, a little lower than stock without draging the frame.

Last edited by jimmydean; 12-18-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
byrd
Union Electrician

in the pic the truck is sitting on a hill, and that gives and optical illusion that it is sitting more level than it is. Turn the truck in the other direction and it will look totally different, you can see what I mean by using the top rail of the bed and looking at where it starts and stops against the back drop of the house. Get a good measurement on nice level ground and I'd bet that it is not a level as the pic makes it look, being the rear of the truck is running downhill with the grade of the street.The drop I see a lot and seems to be the most common is 2.5"(spindles) in the front and 4" in the rear. That get's the truck really close to being level from the stock hieght springs.If you did the 3" all aroung you should end up with a small rake, which most people like to have. My .02
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:48 PM   #6
jimmydean

Man, I can't say enough good things about GMC Pauls! I sent him an email last night before I posted this thinking I would hear in a few days and he responded this morning!

He was saying that it's typical for the rear springs to have 1 to 2 inches of sag after all these years, so the 3/4 kit might be what I am looking for. If I got the 3" springs for the rear, it would only drop it about 2 inches from where it is now.

I will measure the front and make sure that's not too low. A little rake is good, I just didn't want it to sit past level in the rear.

I know that pic is a little funny, I live on a little incline, so I rotated the photo so the curb was level and compare the bed to it.