The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
75stepside
*Proud Member*

Radiator caps... 7# or 16# ???

okay fellahs, i got my trusty summit catalog here and i'm lookin' to order some stuff... of that, a radiator cap... which size do i want... 7# or 16# ???

help me out... someone...

*BTW: i got a 350, 2wd, 3 core rad w/ A/C...**
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
Nvbowtie

good question hope someone with radiator knowledge responds, I will need to know this soon as well.

Here is my thought 7# in cooler climates and 16# in Warmer climates,

now if I am wrong, someone will respond soon to correct me, I am sure of it, and youll have your response !!

By the way- you get that new cam or scanned pics yet ?

Bill
1988 Chevy Blazer Tahoe
Nvbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:35 PM   #3
75stepside
*Proud Member*

um, no... no digicam yet... but, i am gonna use my roomee's cam this weekend... if he lets me
Old 04-10-2003, 03:12 PM   #4
PHOENIX

Use the 16 lb. cap

The rating is for how much pressure it takes before the cap allows pressure and fluid to release into the overflow tank.

I have always used 16 lb. without any problems. I do not know how a 7 lb. would act, but I know you'll be fine with the 16 lb. cap.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:10 PM   #5
TX_Mudder

On a side note, why are you ordering one from Summit? The local parts stores sell them for cheap.
-- Mike
TX_Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:22 PM   #6
75stepside
*Proud Member*

definetly gettin' a billet cap!!! that's why i'm gettin' from summit, plus a ton of other nik-naks for the engine... the tech advised a 7lb cap... hmmmm ?
Old 04-10-2003, 04:43 PM   #7
PHOENIX

16 lb. cap is stock for a chevy 350 truck.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #8
75stepside
*Proud Member*

Quote:
Originally posted by PHOENIX
16 lb. cap is stock for a chevy 350 truck.
well... thanks for the imput! damn summit racing... i just called to switch part numbers and my order shipped already... so i'll have to ship it out and get an exchange.... i HATE incompetant people... that's why i consult the board... for quality advice!

thanks PHOENIX
Old 04-10-2003, 05:43 PM   #9
PHOENIX

No problem.

About Summit, I hear you guys always talk good stuff about them. Every single time I went to order from them, something was wrong, either with their web site or something was not instock. Everytime that happened I went right to Jegs, who of course had the stuff instock for damn close to the price (I mean within 5 cents or so). Ill choose to stick with Jegs as I have placed multiple orders (all over $100) with them without one problem to date. Well that carb problem, but they fixed that with extreme speed. I called them with the carb problem at around 4-6 pm. I got the new carb the next day at about 8:30 am. You cant beat that!
Old 04-11-2003, 12:09 AM   #10
86k10

I guess I agree with the tech guy, use the 7. Personally I only run a 4 lb on mine and it doesn't bother a bit, plus in the long run it's easier on everything, radiator, heater cores and all hoses. You don't need that high pressure to keep cool even in hot weather, just make sure you have a good recovery tank and it will do the rest. I've always thought that high pressure caps were for the average person that knows nothing about cooling systems and those that don't check things on a regular basis (there is a name for them) Course this is just my own 2 cents and comes from working with all kinds of cars everyday. And if you don't feel safe with the 7 then use a 10, but personally I would go with the 7, if your radiator and everything is in good condition, you'll be fine.
86 GMC 5.0
77 Olds 98 6.6

REAL AMERICANS, DRIVE AMERICAN
86k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 02:16 PM   #11
PHOENIX

Which is better for cooling? My truck gets hot in the summer sometimes and if changing to a 7 lb. cap will help cooling, Ill give it a try. Anyone ever gone from one to the other, notice any change?