The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
FLcustom10

After-Market frustration

OK Guys, I'm not a mechanic and realize I'm in over my head. Working on this truck is educational and fun, but I'm getting really frustrated with finding parts that just don't fit. Do the manufacturers not test them before they sell them??? Here are 3 examples just off the top of my head:

1) Firewall insulation. The clips that they sent were way too big to fit in the holes. I hammered until I broke the clip thinking that I must be doing something wrong. I wound up going to Lowes and finding clips that would fit.

2) Something as simple as the ACC-OFF-ON-START label. I put it in boiling water trying to make the clips fit. I pressed until I put noticeable stress marks on it before I realized that I should just shave the clips down to fit. I used a black sharpie to disquise the stress marks.

3) The shift lever will simply not fit in the hole for it on the steering column. Luckily I have a used one that will work, but I already have a new knob for the after market one coming in the mail that will be useless.

I'm just ranting, but I guess my lesson learned is I will stop expecting parts to fit and will start shaving clips down before I try to force them.
Attached Images

FLcustom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: After-Market frustration

Im a BMW mechanic and I can tell you the factory stuff fits. Unlike most dealerships, if you bring it to us we'll put it on. I have noticed since I started my projects most restoration parts are made in "here" or made in
"there". I shudder to think my gas tank door bumpers were made by a 9 y/o in Cambodia. Your mantra of "make sure it fits before you force it" is mine as well. When ordering your parts check thier return policy.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

There is a special tool to use for installing those firewall insulation fasteners.

It's just an aluminum punch looking thing, but it keeps the plastic from bending and breaking. I let them sit in the sun for a while before I install them.

Other than that, I hear ya...
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
leddzepp

I have very low expectations from aftermarket parts. In the event it does fit, I am pleasantly surprised.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcustom10 View Post
OK Guys, I'm not a mechanic and realize I'm in over my head. Working on this truck is educational and fun, but I'm getting really frustrated with finding parts that just don't fit. Do the manufacturers not test them before they sell them??? Here are 3 examples just off the top of my head:

2) Something as simple as the ACC-OFF-ON-START label. I put it in boiling water trying to make the clips fit. I pressed until I put noticeable stress marks on it before I realized that I should just shave the clips down to fit. I used a black sharpie to disquise the stress marks.

3) The shift lever will simply not fit in the hole for it on the steering column. Luckily I have a used one that will work, but I already have a new knob for the after market one coming in the mail that will be useless.

I'm just ranting, but I guess my lesson learned is I will stop expecting parts to fit and will start shaving clips down before I try to force them.
Well I've had #2 as little as 2 weeks ago.
#3 has happened to me not once....BUT TWICE.
BOTH times though, it was at my Mecanics that had a Machine Shop,
so I said..... "Make It Fit"!
Heres 2 (distant pictures) of the Old/New Shifter.
In BOTH cases, the "pawl" never fit correctly and had to be machined BOTH times. Your Frustration is an understandable one.
Attached Images

back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 06-26-2011 at 08:44 PM.
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Tim Christian

As far as #1 they are correct on the tool but I believe it is for removal anyway Wes at Classic Heartbeat are having some made that are much nicer than the previous ones on the market They are also two of the #2's on the market same here one fits good and one does not and on #3 make sure you are getting the correct year for the column you have it runs 67-68 and 69-70 and 71-72 for non tilt columns. It my past experience it helps to buy parts off someone whom builds trucks and uses the parts they sell. JMO
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
FLcustom10

Thanks guys. I double checked the packaging on the shift lever and it does say : "71-7213 - SLNT 1971-72 Chevrolet/ GMC Truck 3 speed and automatic shift lever (w/o tilt)".

I have a 1972 Chevy C10 automatic so that should have been right but it could have been in the wrong package. I can't remember who I bought it from. I'm sure it was an impulse buy at a swap meet years ago.

Last edited by FLcustom10; 06-26-2011 at 09:01 PM.
FLcustom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
bollybib

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I have very low expectations from aftermarket parts. In the event it does fit, I am pleasantly surprised.
that about sums it up...

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
cjohnson6772

I would also add that I have low expectation when it comes to longevity of aftermarket parts. Especially chrome pieces. The chrome mirrors and door handles etc will not last as long as NOS by a long shot. The repop chrome headliner trim I purchased was a joke.
cjohnson6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Fldawg

I've had probably 75 % fit just depends on who you deal with, i think some guys that sell this stuff will take anything that is shipped to them from over the pond, i purchased 4 things from a big swap meet from who i thought was an a ok dealer but 2 of the parts were used but could have been better and the other 2 products were so far off the mark i had to send them back, so it's just a big crap shoot. I can say that the stuff brothers gets is pretty good stuff only had to send 2 things back out of many parts and i spent probably $2500 with them.
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

The re-pop 68-70 GMC grill I bought from Classic Ind. was junk, sent it back.
Turns out they all come from the same place (Jon in VA.) so the whole batch is probably junk. Good luck if you really need one!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
turp mcspray

As far as #1, the original clips are rubber. I have seen someone selling rubber clips, as well as the hard plastic ones. If you use the plastic, you need to enlarge the holes a bit.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
406 Q-ship

I have been dealing with reproduction parts for a long time on mostly Chevelles. I can tell you that I now look for a worn original GM piece that can be reworked before I even think about repop. I have had stuff that was from some of the major manufactures that flat was WRONG! I have little faith in reproduction parts. I cannot understand why anyone would spend the money to remake a part that doesn't fit EXACTLY as the OEM piece did. I understand that these vehicles have had 40 year of abuse and even original parts will not fit right.......but heater control knobs that would not stay on?

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I totally agree. I buy with the expectation that it absolutely won't fit. On the very rare occasions that it does, I'm elated! In my opinion, aftermarket stuff is second rate at best.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote