The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
crosby

removing warn hubs, last snap ring? help!

okay, I'm trying to pull some fairly new Warn hubs off the Jimmy before I scrap it (among other things). I've got most of them off, but I am stuck trying to get the last pieces out. Apparently, I have the main body left to remove. It's brass colored, with lots of little holes around the edge. Warn's directions have no pictures, and it feels like there is another snap ring in there somewhere. Here's what I have pulled off so far:

1. hub cover (six torx head bolts)
2. outer snap ring (inside of hub, approx 3" diameter)
3. inner snap ring (on axleshaft, about 1.25" diameter)
4. outer hub body, two pieces (I believe) one slid out, and the other spun out on a threaded shaft.
5. I can't see another snap ring, but the (main body?) won't come out. I don't know if it is threaded on, but that wouldn't make sense. It has all of these little holes around the edge, and little "wings" that stuck out in four places, I believe.

My Haynes manual is useless (OEM hubs and no real pictures), and like I said, the Warn instructions (from their site) have no pictures.

Can anybody help me out here? I feel a little stupid being beat by a set of hubs, but I still need them off. Thanks!!
crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
jberkeley
86 chevy k-10

crosby, if they are the same as on a jeep cj.. when i pulled off mine i had to take a screw driver and hit the four tabs to unscrew them... good luck joe b
jberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
crosby

hi joe, thanks for the help. I figured it out this morning. The piece with the four tabs isn't part of the "hub", it's the inner hub nut. This is what keeps the assembly (rotor and bearings, the regular "hub" on the axle (assembly). Otherwise, the wheel would fall off. When you buy a hub (selector, like Warn), they don't come with these parts (I don't believe). I am planning on selling the hubs, and wanted to make sure I got everything before I sent the Jimmy to the crusher. I found a relevant article here:

http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods...ub_rebuild.htm

Thanks again for your help
Old 01-30-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
2 Many Trucks

Only two snap rings. If you have the one off the axle shaft and the large one out also, the only thing holding it in should be the grease. Put two of the screws back in to the inner part of the hub and use them to pull the inner part of the hub out. The Warn hubs have more snaprings but they hold the hub itself together. If it is still stuck GENTLY tap on the axle shaft while pulling on the screws in the hub base.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
2 Many Trucks

Sorry posted answer for base of hub. you needed answer for spindle nuts. For any body else. it goes from the inside out. outter wheel bearing, washer, nut w/pin (pin out), washer with holes ( pin goes into washer- washer has tab that lines up with grove in spindle...keeps inner nut from turning ), outter nut, base of hub, snap rings, and outter part of hub.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:03 PM   #6
crosby

Thanks 2Manytrucks, appreciate your answer any how. I remembered this morning that I had a special hub socket for that, and didn't realize the "hub" nuts and washer weren't part of the "hub" assembly. What confuses me is that people call the rotor and bearings assembly a "hub" and the Warn switch assembly is also sometimes called a "hub". Thanks very much.
BTW - I noticed at the parts store that the 1/2 trucks (4x4 of course) use one hub/spindle nut tool (great big socket with teeth on the end), and 3/4 and 1 ton use a bigger one (but the same for 3/4 and 1 ton). In case anybody needs to know...

crosby