The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
zschary

is it possible to get two bad headlamp switches?

i have to be wrong here..
i was trying to get 12 volts from the brown wire going to the taillight circuit on the firewall from the headlight switch, i checked the switch and i could only get 12v from one of the other tangs for the harness so i got another unit.. doing the same thing so now i figure its user error? I ran a headlamp relay system and that is working and it uses a few wires from the old harness, but it seems like i cant get power through the switch on the dash to anything else.. could use a hand here
zschary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:29 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: is it possible to get two bad headlamp switches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zschary View Post
i have to be wrong here..
i was trying to get 12 volts from the brown wire going to the taillight circuit on the firewall from the headlight switch, i checked the switch and i could only get 12v from one of the other tangs for the harness so i got another unit.. doing the same thing so now i figure its user error? I ran a headlamp relay system and that is working and it uses a few wires from the old harness, but it seems like i cant get power through the switch on the dash to anything else.. could use a hand here

Check this electrical FAQ thread out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=815300

You may find your answer there.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
zschary

i looked through that stuff.. thank you ..

Not too much has changed inside the car as it relates to the headlight switch except the switch itself.. But to ask a more focused question.. If i have the headlamp switch in my hand off the car and use an ohm meter across where the hot red wire and the brown wire plug in without the harness connected, it should have continuity right?
Old 12-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

Not too much has changed inside the car as it relates to the headlight switch except the switch itself.. But to ask a more focused question.. If i have the headlamp switch in my hand off the car and use an ohm meter across where the hot red wire and the brown wire plug in without the harness connected, it should have continuity right?

Sorry, I can't answer that. I tried to make a test harness to test the headlight switches and I didn't have any luck getting it to work.

I think some of that stuff relays through the turn signal switch. Maybe another member will chime in on the question.

LockDoc

-
Old 12-27-2020, 10:55 PM   #5
zschary

thanks, i appreciate it.. Not sure how else it would work but i like learning new things like this.. I mean, it is a switch, it would make sense that when you activate it it simply connects the two blades, but i have been wrong before.. So before i buy a third switch ......
i did read on here that some of these new switches suck, so if it is bad its the second Delco..
Old 12-28-2020, 01:01 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here is a post from vettevet.

There is a plug in the firewall just behind the distributor that carries all the rear light wires. The brown wire is the tail light wire. Check it for power when the HL switch is on.

If you want to test the tail lights, and the headlight switch, you could pull the headlight harness plug off the switch and jump between the red power wire, and the brown tail light wire. If they don't work then there is a problem with the brown wire to the rear lights.

If the lights work, then jump between the orange wire and the brown tail light wire. The orange wire is actually the feed wire for the tail lights. If the tail lights work then the headlight switch is bad.

-
Old 12-28-2020, 02:26 AM   #7
RustyPile

Quote:

No, that's not right.. The red wire provides power only for the headlights..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Here is a post from vettevet.

There is a plug in the firewall just behind the distributor that carries all the rear light wires. The brown wire is the tail light wire. Check it for power when the HL switch is on.

If you want to test the tail lights, and the headlight switch, you could pull the headlight harness plug off the switch and jump between the red power wire, and the brown tail light wire. If they don't work then there is a problem with the brown wire to the rear lights.

If the lights work, then jump between the orange wire and the brown tail light wire. The orange wire is actually the feed wire for the tail lights. If the tail lights work then the headlight switch is bad.
To expand on what vettevet explained: There are two power feed wires to headlight switch.. One is red, the other is orange.. The orange one comes from the fuse box (fuse is labeled "tail lights") and provides power through the headlight switch for the tail lights and dash lights.. Two sets of contacts control all those lights.. This explains why the "first pull" on the HL switch turns on the tail lights, and the "second pull" turns on the headlights.. The red wire, protected by the fuse link passes power to the headlights through one set of those contacts.. The headlights are protected by a current sensitive circuit breaker that's built into the switch.. The orange wire is protected by the fuse in the fuse box... Power is passed through the second set of contacts into the brown wire for the tail lights..

Follow the test procedure outlined by vettevet and you'll find the problem with your lights.. Tracing all these wires on a wiring diagram will help clear things up for you..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #8
zschary

i will work on it today,
i will check the fuse on the tail lights.. i replaced it a few days ago, maybe i pinched that wire putting the kick panel cover on.. (wiring diagram says it feeds the dome too) I will turn my focus to the orange wire.. thank you
Old 12-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #9
BigBird05

To answer your first question Yes you can get one or more bad switches. Go to a different store that sells switches from a different company or at least get a switch that is from a different batch. Sometimes parts from the same batch are all bad. ( recall) situation. When returning a bad part I mark the box so I know that they aren't reselling a bad part.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
zschary

i think i found it.. Thanks for all the help.. The breakthrough was knowing the orange wire provides power.. I pulled the new fuse from the taillamp circuit that i had put in there, and it was ok, but i put it back and bam it worked.. So.. i guess my fuse box is not making a good connection.. or maybe its behind the box .. i am hoping its just dirty.. either way i think i have it.. Probably should clean or spray the little spring keepers with something
thank you
Zach
Old 12-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
i think i found it.. Thanks for all the help.. The breakthrough was knowing the orange wire provides power.. I pulled the new fuse from the taillamp circuit that i had put in there, and it was ok, but i put it back and bam it worked.. So.. i guess my fuse box is not making a good connection.. or maybe its behind the box .. i am hoping its just dirty.. either way i think i have it.. Probably should clean or spray the little spring keepers with something
thank you
Zach

Good deal. Glad you found it. Yes, those contacts can have a coating of rust on them. I used a small ball stone on my Dremmel to clean a couple of mine up but I can't find any more of the small round stones. I think the ones I had were 3/16".

LockDoc

-
Old 12-28-2020, 11:35 PM   #12
zschary

good idea.. i need to make sure its ok, taillights are tough, you never know it if they go out.. important fuse i guess
thanks
Zach
Old 12-29-2020, 12:31 AM   #13
RustyPile

Quote:
good idea.. i need to make sure its ok, taillights are tough, you never know it if they go out.. important fuse i guess
thanks
Zach
That's a close statement, but not totally correct as there is a way to know if/when the tail lights go out.. The dash lights are fed from the tail light circuit.. The dash light fuse is "down stream" from the tail light fuse.. If the tail light fuse blows, the dash lights also go out because there is no power to them.. If the dash lights suddenly go out, the first fuse to check is the tail light fuse..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #14
zschary

good to know... glad that is the case.. thank you .
Old 12-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #15
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
That's a close statement, but not totally correct as there is a way to know if/when the tail lights go out.. The dash lights are fed from the tail light circuit.. The dash light fuse is "down stream" from the tail light fuse.. If the tail light fuse blows, the dash lights also go out because there is no power to them.. If the dash lights suddenly go out, the first fuse to check is the tail light fuse..
Good info. RustyPile....Thank You !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:59 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: is it possible to get two bad headlamp switches?

You should be able to take the switch out of the truck and use your voltmeter/ohm meter and check it for continuity between the different connections on the switch.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:13 AM   #17
zschary

i did put the probe on the red, but was not getting continuity, (i think to the brown wire) but as mentioned above i believe some of the lights that i was having trouble with are fed by the orange wire not the red, and the issue was actually the fuse on the orange wire.. which terminals are fed by the red wire? maybe everything else ?
Old 12-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
i did put the probe on the red, but was not getting continuity, (i think to the brown wire) but as mentioned above i believe some of the lights that i was having trouble with are fed by the orange wire not the red, and the issue was actually the fuse on the orange wire.. which terminals are fed by the red wire? maybe everything else ?

Change the red probe to the orange then and check it. Do both to see which ones are feed by each input.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:07 AM   #19
zschary

i will try it on the one i took out that i thought was bad, now having second thoughts.. I'll bet the orange wire will have continuity with the middle brown..
Old 12-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #20
zschary

no continuity between red and tail light brown.. But yes on orange to brown.. I think all these switches are ok..
Old 12-31-2020, 03:25 PM   #21
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
no continuity between red and tail light brown.. But yes on orange to brown.. I think all these switches are ok..
Yes that should be right.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-31-2020, 06:03 PM   #22
zschary

great.. thanks for all the help
Zach