The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2020, 09:37 PM   #1
CMars45000

Help with cab corner "anatomy"

I have watched May70's videos and read the majority of his build thread but I am still trying to iron out some details with my cab corner and pillar replacement.

Does the cab corner lower lip contact or spot weld to the rear port of the inner rocker. In this pic, you can see the rear-most part of the inner rocker that is contoured to sit in the lower part of the cover but what about the lip of the cab corner just behind the outer rocker?

My my best guestimation, the cab corner is only supported by there lower B-Pillar flange and just "rests" agains the back of the inner rocker. Is this correct? Is the seam sealed with seam sealer to prevent your lose change from falling out of the cab?

My rear cab corners/rockers and floors were COMPLETELY decimated by rust, so I have absolutely ZERO frame of reference. I am getting close to getting everything lined up with the outer rocker and door, but and just trying to piece together the inner anatomy of how and where things mate.
Attached Images

Vehicles/Projects:

-1971 C10 SWB Fleetside! Gathering parts now, will begin frame-off resto soon...

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
-Aristotle
CMars45000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
Davidf

Re: Help with cab corner "anatomy"

All that gapping should be eliminated. I believe the B pillar should bolt (2 places) to the inner rocker. The bottom of the cab corner spot welds to the inner rocker just as the rocker cover does.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #3
CMars45000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
All that gapping should be eliminated. I believe the B pillar should bolt (2 places) to the inner rocker. The bottom of the cab corner spot welds to the inner rocker just as the rocker cover does.
That is what I was wondering. This pic was taken before I starting shifting everything around to close the gap, but I am still struggling getting the cab corner contour to match the door and rocker cover while reaching in far enough to be able to be spot welded to the inner rocker just aft of the cab support outrigger

Vehicles/Projects:

-1971 C10 SWB Fleetside! Gathering parts now, will begin frame-off resto soon...

-Aristotle
Old 12-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #4
May70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMars45000 View Post
That is what I was wondering. This pic was taken before I starting shifting everything around to close the gap, but I am still struggling getting the cab corner contour to match the door and rocker cover while reaching in far enough to be able to be spot welded to the inner rocker just aft of the cab support outrigger
Did you see the videos I made on how to do that?

Start toward the end of this video for the pillar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7nHQtYzZA&t=12s

I have a whole series on how to do the cab corner, rear pillar, and outer rocker on youtube right now.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
CMars45000

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
Did you see the videos I made on how to do that?

Start toward the end of this video for the pillar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7nHQtYzZA&t=12s

I have a whole series on how to do the cab corner, rear pillar, and outer rocker on youtube right now.
I've watched the videos several times (great job, btw!) and this screen shot is the only one that shows the area I am talking about specifically.

That gap, between the lower cab corner lip and the rear part of the inner rocker where the rear cab support attached to the back of the inner rocker. Doesn't leaving that open leave a straight shot into the cab?

Thanks for the help in figuring this out
Attached Images

Vehicles/Projects:

-Aristotle
Old 12-31-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
May70

Does the cab corner lower lip contact or spot weld to the rear port of the inner rocker. In this pic, you can see the rear-most part of the inner rocker that is contoured to sit in the lower part of the cover but what about the lip of the cab corner just behind the outer rocker?
The cab corner is only welded to the pillar by plug welds and around the back of the cab where you make your butt weld seam. Other than those two places the only spot where the cab corner is attached is with a few spot welds on the back to the floor pan. The lower lip/edge of the cab corner does not connect to anything. The cab corner doesn't get welded to the inner rocker. The inner rocker is there to provide support to the outer rocker so when folks step on the rocker getting in and out for 50 years it has more support. It also prevents dirt mud etc from getting piled in there but that was secondary.

My my best guestimation, the cab corner is only supported by there lower B-Pillar flange and just "rests" agains the back of the inner rocker. Is this correct? Is the seam sealed with seam sealer to prevent your lose change from falling out of the cab?
See above comment: Pillar flange, butt welds across the top of the corner to the rest of the cab and plug welds to the floor pan.

My rear cab corners/rockers and floors were COMPLETELY decimated by rust, so I have absolutely ZERO frame of reference. I am getting close to getting everything lined up with the outer rocker and door, but and just trying to piece together the inner anatomy of how and where things mate.
I was in the same situation, frame reference is not needed. Follow the progression I do in my videos. Cab corner, then pillar, then outer rocker.
Attached Images

Last edited by May70; 12-31-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
May70

It is open you have to close it off if you want to close it off.

The index card in the last picture is something I may make for that to close it off once I finish both sides.

The gap between the outer rocker edge and the cab corner edge was filled with seam sealer from the factory.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
CMars45000

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
It is open you have to close it off if you want to close it off.

The index card in the last picture is something I may make for that to close it off once I finish both sides.

The gap between the outer rocker edge and the cab corner edge was filled with seam sealer from the factory.
AWESOME! That helps immensely! Onward and upward. Thanks again for your videos- They've been a great resource and the details of each step has been pivotal in providing a much-needed frame of reference for my rust repair.

Vehicles/Projects:

-Aristotle
Old 12-31-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
May70

Thanks!