The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
formula_raider

Raise Front End

I have a 72 1/2 ton long bed in which I am trying to get a nice even stance. Basicly I would like it have the look of a 4x4 although it is a 2wd. Since the 2wd always rides higher in the back I put in a set of Rancho 6500 Coil springs on the front, that claim to raise the front about 1 1/2". It has a good stance like I want but....Oh man the front is way...way too stiff. The spring pressure is tremedous and it ride worse than a 3/4 ton 4x4. I want the stock spring rate. Does anybody know a company that sells some sort of polyurethane bottom or top that can raise the stock spring about an inch or so. Or any other ideas. I just blew $150 on those hard springs.
formula_raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
matthufham

Re: Raise Front End

hmm, coils springs in the front. i'd say your best bet is a pair of ranchos or other brand lift coils because they don't make lift spindles. there are a bunch of jeeps running lift coils in the front and i know they're not stiff, though they aren't near as heavy as your truck. pick the right shocks and give the coils time to soften and i bet you'll like it.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
squeekyM

Hi,

I wanted to lift the front end of my 72 C20 since I purchased it back in March. I stumbled across AIM Industries in AZ. Take a look:
http://www.truckn-store.com/

I ordered a set of 2.5 inch lift springs. From what I understand, anything more than 3 inches drastically changes the geometry of the front end, and puts an excessive amount of strain upon the ball joints.

You also, might want to take a look at their threaded spring collars. As mentioned, going over 3 inches would require new upper control arms, so that the ball joints wouldn't bind.

I have not had a chance to install my springs yet...if you find any other info on raising the front end, please let me know. Good luck.
- Jerry
squeekyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:54 AM   #4
72MARIO

Are you sure that you shocks are not a little to short now with the taller spring now ?
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote