The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

is four inches too much?

posting this over here as well, looking for help wherever....

worked on mounting the master cylinder for the T56 today. expanded a pre-existing hole in the firewall at a potentially good location (for the MC, at least)

i'll be honest: my engineering skills and "what will work" meter just aren't too keen. i also don't want to have something bend/break/snap while i'm driving down the interstate, leaving me stranded and possibly dead.

here's my question - see the attached pictures for reference (the MC is to the right of the square hole).

now, my MC rod is parallel to my clutch pedal, 4" away. is this too much to adapt?

if not, help a n00b out - how would you recommend working this out? i have a welder to weld something onto the pedal, but i don't have a clue as to what the best method to make this happen would be - what shape and thickness of metal, if bushings/bearings are required, how to reinforce the bracket properly, etc.

thanks for any and all suggestions! once this is in, i only have two major tasks before i can drive! (slave fitting replacement and minor wiring).
Attached Images

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #2
68 short step

Re: is four inches too much?

this is what id do....no, its not a CAD drawing, im that good with paint!!!! then get all thread and screw a eye clevous on it.. then put a bolt in the "hole" and threw the clevvous.... connect the other end to the slave cyl. with the approiate size double nut.. then it would be adjustable too......if this makes no sence to you, its cause im a genius..

Last edited by 68 short step; 08-13-2007 at 12:37 AM.
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:17 AM   #3
72highlander
Sophomore Member

i hope not that's all i got, sorry, had to say it!

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

haha

68ss, why would you mount above the fulcrum point and not below it?

i was planning on doing exactly what you said, but i guess i was looking for confirmation that I wasn't going to have problems with flex and other crap by mounting it there. it's a great location, though. uses the old choke hole (or maybe the speedo hole, i dunno.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Just to expand on 68SS's idea(we use the same CAD program)- I would build it as a triangle and capture the rod-end between two plates. Use 3/16 or 1/4x2 flat bar. So you'll have a bolt going through a plate, then the rod-end, then the other plate. Much stronger this way.

You will also need to determine at what point on the pedal the stroke is equal to what you need, i.e. closer to the fulcrum= shorter stroke, further down the pedal arm=longer stroke. If you are using the F-body MC, it only requires 1- 1.25", any more than this and you will blow the seals...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
haha

68ss, why would you mount above the fulcrum point and not below it?
because it has less travel, like gringo said, the slave only requires about 1" of travel...with the lower point you can do the same, just gotta find the sweet spot.....
Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
68 short step

shifty im gonna take this one a bit beyond idea's and theories... give me a day or two.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

thanks, bud. You pretty much have a mockup of what you'll need if you have any 68 pickup (or cab) in your garage with pedals available.

there are two bolt-holes already available in the pedal that you could potentially get away with not welding anything.

granted - your hole size (in the firewall, pictured) will de different. i used a (i think) 1-1/4" Greenlee knockout punch to expand the hole to a larger size.

NOTE: i an NOT using the stock MC for the T56. i am using aftermarket piece from Wilwood. my bore and stroke are a bit diff't. factory F-body MC requires 15/16" of travel to push volume of fluid required to disengage the clutch.

Stock master cyl = 0.75 bore/1.0" stroke = 0.4417ci = 0.00723816617 liters
Summit P/N WIL-260-1304 = 0.750 bore/1.4" stroke = 0.6185ci = 0.0101353991 liters
Summit P/N WIL-260-2636 = 0.625 bore/1.4" stroke = 0.4295ci = 0.00703824399 liters
Summit P/N WIL-260-6579 = 0.700 bore/1.4" stroke = 0.5388ci = 0.00882935008 liters

I decided to go with the using Wilwood's WIL-260-6579 (.700 bore/1.4" stroke), so i will need a full 1.4" of travel to get this to work properly.

Last edited by shifty; 08-13-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
shifty
Questionable

*bump*

if you come up with something, i will gladly trade you for a spare SA-1000 wiring kit I have here at the house.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:01 AM   #10
68 short step

i talked with my brother (engineer) and he said this
"The suggestion that gringoloco posted looks good. Just make sure to weld the plate on the front side of the pedal and put some gusseting on the back to reinforce the plates welded on. Or the strongest way to do that 2nd design would be to make it out of like 1x1 angle...I am not sure how much force is actually required to press that MC lever in tho? "
if pry one him to do more, if ya like...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:06 AM   #11
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
i will gladly trade you for a spare SA-1000 wiring kit I have here at the house.
i have a spare 68 rad support for your sa-001 (dislexais person)...seriously i need to get rid of it comeing up pretty soon... i'll give it the smooth treatment and paint it shine black for ya..
Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #12
shifty
Questionable

oh hell, you have a deal. i'll pay shipping on the rad support via DHL, since you're doing the xtra work.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #13
68 short step

shifty the classic truck gods smile on you.... pick up the classic trucks mag. and on pg 84-88 they are haveing the ezact same problem as you, and see what they did step by step.... pretty much like gringo said..
Old 08-17-2007, 02:32 AM   #14
shifty
Questionable

tought one to find at the local store, but i will look tomorrow. what is on the cover?

Old 08-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #15
68 short step

the cover is a red gmc and another covertable truck thats red in the background...
Old 08-18-2007, 11:14 PM   #16
shifty
Questionable

got it! i read half at the store (first half) briefly, then i had to run. it's in my car at work right now, so i can't finish reading. Looks like they used a stock hole like me and aftermarket MC. will be interesting to read the rest.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #17
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

I picked it up too, man those guys are geniuses! That is a very good write-up for ides on how to do your pedal assembly.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #18
shifty
Questionable

the bracket was interesting.

i thought about this in greater detail over the weekend and finally decided I'm going to break down and just install the damned MC here so I don't need to work on hellacious bracing and the crap will practically line up perfectly and be at a good pivot point (mind you, this is a photochop )

i was trying to take the easiest route as far as firewall aesthetics and looks, but ... after reading that story, they said what i needed to hear: there is no lesser of two evils. you either spend time to mount it in a good spot with no good brackets needed, or you mount it in a bad spot and spend time making a good bracket.
Attached Images

Last edited by shifty; 08-20-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #19
shifty
Questionable

Word of advice: GO BUY A HOLE SAW if you want to do something like this. I am a freaking idiot, and just mangled my firewall using a Greenlee punch to try and slam out the slug of metal right there Man, I feel like an idiot.

I have at least a day's worth of work to get this thing looking like someone didn't hack the sh*t out of it.

So pissed at myself!!